Gibson Brands Forums

Maybe I’m alone in thinking this, but…

SGLPFB_Lover

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here’s the way I look at it. if I sell a guitar, and I lose $150 on it, and if I’ve had it for 4 years, I basically rented that guitar for four years for only $150.

Chief,

You've not taken into account the value of the pleasure you derived from playing the guitar. 

I know there isn't any way to quantify that value, but it certainly counts for something.

I've owned about 11 guitars in my life, and never purchased any of them worrying about resale value and profit if they were resold.

They were all purchased only for their value to me as music makers.

Not investments. 

RBSinTo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

That's kind of the rub.

Everything in the $1k range are guitars that most folks don't want to buy.

I wonder why? I've said it before, and I will say it again. They just went up to $1350 and used to be $1299, but Martins 15 series is the best value on the market. USA made and you get a case, and they sound great. I've owned 3, and want a 000-15. I'm waiting for by buddy to tell me he doesn't touch his so I can get it without having to pay Flea Bay or Reverb.

I got my last D-15M used, it was a 2107 and in in VG+ to Excellent condition from GC,  for $750 right before Covid. No case, but that is a smoking price. Got a case for $65 on Flea Bay. Some guy wanted to sell me a Martin case for $150. Its a case. When they come with them, great, I'm not paying you that much when I can get one for almost half.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wonder why? I've said it before, and I will say it again. They just went up to $1350 and used to be $1299, but Martins 15 series is the best value on the market. USA made and you get a case, and they sound great. I've owned 3, and want a 000-15. I'm waiting for by buddy to tell me he doesn't touch his so I can get it without having to pay Flea Bay or Reverb.

I got my last D-15M used, it was a 2107 and in in VG+ to Excellent condition from GC,  for $750 right before Covid. No case, but that is a smoking price. Got a case for $65 on Flea Bay. Some guy wanted to sell me a Martin case for $150. Its a case. When they come with them, great, I'm not paying you that much when I can get one for almost half.

The D15s are very nice for the dough.  The Tribute LPs are good deals too, but they are inching up in price., and then there's  "case not include" thing .  Gig bags don't really cut it for me, so the price, really isn't the price, because of this.

It's like going to a furniture store who's advertising a bang of a deal on a sofa,, you get there and yep, there it is..

then you see the sign...

(cushions not included.)

38 minutes ago, kidblast said:

The D15s are very nice for the dough.  The Tribute LPs are good deals too, but they are inching up in price., and then there's  "case not include" thing .  Gig bags don't really cut it for me, so the price, really isn't the price, because of this.

It's like going to a furniture store who's advertising a bang of a deal on a sofa,, you get there and yep, there it is..

then you see the sign...

(cushions not included.)

kidblast,

There is a vast difference between a guitar sold with a gig bag rather than a hard case, and a couch sold without its cushions.

The guitar is an intact, complete, usable instrument, whatever the storage unit. The other isn't.

RBSinTo

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here’s the way I look at it. if I sell a guitar, and I lose $150 on it, and if I’ve had it for 4 years, I basically rented that guitar for four years for only $150.

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Yeah…. Me too…….

When I own a guitar I have an idea(the longer I have it the vaguer that idea) how many great nights I've had with it, how many times I've recorded it, and how much I made using it.  When one of mine goes it goes in good conscience.  The "value" in my guitars is met fairly quickly, and there haven't been many ever that didn't earn their keep before they went out.  I don't sell outright hardly ever, so I only look for a decent trade which is not that hard to find.  I lose absolutely nothing on a guitar that is leaving.

rct

The guitars I have gone through is kind of a blur, going pawn shop hunting for old Gibsons or Epiphones was always fun. Walking into a music store and seeing something that would haunt me for a while till I bought it or discovered a new one to dream  about. Now most of my new acquisitions are off the internet that I may stare at for hours before pushing  the buy button. Once they have qualified for price and free shipping, it doesn't take long till they are in my hands being tested to see if they live up to my dreams. The last 4 are 2020 Epiphones a 339, Wilshire, Coronet and an SG Classic, these have all lived up to my expectations. Buying online can be dangerous because in the past I had to pass on about 30% of what I bought. I think brick and mortar is the best way to shop, on my island there is so little to choose from. I think various forms of Strats are the most common here, unfortunately for me being a Gibson style addict.

Edited by mihcmac

48 minutes ago, rct said:

When I own a guitar I have an idea(the longer I have it the vaguer that idea) how many great nights I've had with it, how many times I've recorded it, and how much I made using it.  When one of mine goes it goes in good conscience.  The "value" in my guitars is met fairly quickly, and there haven't been many ever that didn't earn their keep before they went out.  I don't sell outright hardly ever, so I only look for a decent trade which is not that hard to find.  I lose absolutely nothing on a guitar that is leaving.

rct

Yeah… Me too..

14 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The guitars I have gone through is kind of a blur, going pawn shop hunting for old Gibsons or Epiphones was always fun. Walking into a music store and seeing something that would haunt me for a while till I bought it or discovered a new one to dream  about. Now most of my new acquisitions are off the internet that I may stare at for hours before pushing  the buy button. Once they have qualified for price and free shipping, it doesn't take long till they are in my hands being tested to see if they live up to my dreams. The last 4 are 2020 Epiphones a 339, Wilshire, Coronet and an SG Classic, these have all lived up to my expectations. Buying online can be dangerous because in the past I had to pass on about 30% of what I bought. I think brick and mortar is the best way to shop, on my island there is so little to choose from. I think various forms of Strats are the most common here, unfortunately for me being a Gibson style addict.

Yeah…. Me too…

I buy Online too sometimes.. But, I’m very selective.. I want Pictures of the actual Guitar, all Specs & the Weight…. Plus, all you mentioned…

5 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

kidblast,

There is a vast difference between a guitar sold with a gig bag rather than a hard case, and a couch sold without its cushions.

The guitar is an intact, complete, usable instrument, whatever the storage unit. The other isn't.

RBSinTo

so a bit strong??  too much ??  but is it a hate crime?? 

LOL!

no I get it,  I was be'in snarky...

25 minutes ago, kidblast said:

so a bit strong??  too much ??  but is it a hate crime?? 

LOL!

no I get it,  I was be'in snarky...

Kidblast,

Snarky????????

Your comments barely registered on the Snarkometer.

I'll have to re-calibrate it to detect a much smaller quantity of Snark if that's the best you can do.

Try re- reading posts by Sgt. Pepper or me to see how you can up your game.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1