Gibson Brands Forums

Lifespan of Sunbeam strings?

egoidealmusic

26 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

As far as the OP’s question about how long they last, I think there are a bunch of variables, including how often you play and your body chemistry.

Alloy of metals used also a big factor

57 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Do you wait to cut the tails of the wound strings until after the strings are tensioned? If not, you have killed them, since they are wound on a round core wire.

Read the instructions on the inside of the box about how to string a guitar with strings of this type. Takes a slightly different technique compared to hex-core strings.

Right angle bend as described in manual

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why did you pick the same word I did.

Your GF

25 minutes ago, RvrDxn said:

Too bad, you’d add a bit of color to the place. 

From what I hear about the moderation there, I probably wouldn't last past 3 posts. When I had my Guild JF-30, I was on the Lets Talk Guild forum, and that place is moderated pretty heavy. I had a Richenbaker 4003 bass and was on that forum to several years back, and if you go off topic or talk bad about Ric, those jizz lobbers gang up on you like a starving wolf pack.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 minutes ago, olie said:

Hard to imagine anyone taking offence with such an amiable soul.

I know I'm so cute and lovable. But I'm someone who is gonna live on my feet and not die on my knees. If it needs to be said, I'll say it. You should to. I'm a big boy and take be called a bad word or two. Every form of media wants to shove their agenda down our throats.

Alright now back to strings. I changed the strings on my 00-28 yesterday. I put Straight Up Strings PB lights on it. They are made by the same guy to makes the strings for the Santa Cruz Guitar Company and are low tension strings. I got the guitar out and I'm gonna tune it up and give it a go.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Every time I read threads like this, I just shake my head and wonder how in the world my ears are so different to everyone else's. I play two hours a night, seven days a week minimum. So that's fourteen hours I put into the strings a week. After just three days, that new "sparkle" is gone. After about a week, they start sounding dull. By two weeks, I start wanting to change them, but I will hold out for at least a month because I don't want to spend that much money. But there is absolutely no way I could go longer than that without hating the way the guitar sounds, regardless of the instrument. I don't know if it's the hours I play, how I play, if my ears are just better, or all your ears are bad... but when I read things like, "Two months in and they still sound amazing!" and "I play them for about a year!" I just roll my eyes. That's insane. If I waited an entire year to change my strings, they would sound like overly cooked spaghetti noodles... AND I EVEN WIPE THE STRINGS DOWN AFTER EVERY PLAY! lol

I play few hours a day and sometimes 15 mins. Change your strings when you feel they need to be changed and try every brand there is until you find a brand you like. What I like may not be your cuppa tea.

How long will my strings last? Same as how long does it take you to ya know … depends on you. We’re all different.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm guessing string companies have a scientist or two on board with a fancy electronic gizmo that can measure different things on a string when plucked.  And, like the car makers that have machines that open and slam car doors a thousand times to see if they hold up - I bet the string manufacturers also have an automated string plucker.   I'm sure they have graphs and statistics that tell them exactly how long a strings  'good tone'  will last.  Uranium half-life studies, etc.  Certainly the String CEO doesn't let his Marketing guy LIE to us when he says certain strings 'last twice as long.   

So -  while they can be scientific,  we cannot.  We are basically alll using different listening devices with a wide range of sensitivities, Trying to remember how a brand of string sounded 3 years ago after a week, a month, a year...  (Sorry 7DayMel).  Did we fingerpick more back then?  Vinegar based BBQ sauce in our pores?   In other words -we are  the very definition of Unscientific.  Can't agree if strings last 2 weeks or 2 years.  

So,  since we can't "follow the science"  (problem compounded by using 'Social Media' to report our research findings).  we should all just agree - the world is flat, and change our strings when we 'feel 'like it.   After all, perception is reality.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

Has anyone tried the GHS Americana strings?

GHS builds great American made strings. 

They "used" to be the string supplier for Gibson Masterbuilt and I loved those.

After Gibson and GHS went their separate ways, I moved over to GHS.

I prefer the 80/20's Brite Acoustic. 

44 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'm guessing string companies have a scientist or two on board with a fancy electronic gizmo that can measure different things on a string when plucked.  And, like the car makers that have machines that open and slam car doors a thousand times to see if they hold up - I bet the string manufacturers also have an automated string plucker.   I'm sure they have graphs and statistics that tell them exactly how long a strings  'good tone'  will last.  Uranium half-life studies, etc.  Certainly the String CEO doesn't let his Marketing guy LIE to us when he says certain strings 'last twice as long.   

So -  while they can be scientific,  we cannot.  We are basically alll using different listening devices with a wide range of sensitivities, Trying to remember how a brand of string sounded 3 years ago after a week, a month, a year...  (Sorry 7DayMel).  Did we fingerpick more back then?  Vinegar based BBQ sauce in our pores?   In other words -we are  the very definition of Unscientific.  Can't agree if strings last 2 weeks or 2 years.  

So,  since we can't "follow the science"  (problem compounded by using 'Social Media' to report our research findings).  we should all just agree - the world is flat, and change our strings when we 'feel 'like it.   After all, perception is reality.  

I’ll tell ya one thing, for me, these newer-ish D’Adarrio XS (the white pack) last longer on my guitars than any I’ve tried. I used to hate D’ad strings. I’ll keep buying them, as long as they  sound good to me, and as long as they  keep lasting longer on my axes. When they don’t I’ll go to the store, or online and order something else. I’ve tried tons of strings, and know what I would buy again, and what I won’t. 
It’s  like when people get on here, and ask what guitar the should get. We all know the correct answer is the J-45.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Exactly!

2 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I change strings when I change batteries.

I used to change batteries, when I changed strings...

I quit using the onboard pickups after I got the Bose units, though. I mic all my instruments (1933 Gibson mandolin, Deering Goodtime banjo, Fender square neck resonator, and both Gibson acoustics) now with the SM57 into a Yamaha mixer out to the various Bose and Carvin acoustic rigs. It just makes it easier to use one mic for all instruments, and then use the SM58 for vocals.

I still want an Ear Trumpet mic, though.