Gibson Brands Forums

I've Retired...

Murph

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I identify as a Martin fan and yet some of you meanies bully me and I cry myself to sleep every night. Maybe I need Guitar Reconditioning Therapy? That and a big hug from you guys.

Can't help you there but I can offer you a half jar of unused Gorilla Snot.

8 minutes ago, Murph said:

Easy for you to say.

Easy for me to do. If there hard for you to hold they make those ones that wrap around your thumb that don’t fall off so easily. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 3/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, QuestionMark said:

When I retired in 2016,  I learned there are some people out there who have a totally different perspective on retiring from their career.   I learned it when I read Willie Nelson was asked when he plans on retiring and he  responded,   “Retire from what?”

While it's true that "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life"...

Willie had a different gig than I did. When I gigged it was usually 2/3 nights at a club, and off to the next one next weekend. And I had to get off the day job, rush through a shower, load the gear, drive myself to the club, set up the stage, do a quick sound check, drink a few beers, play 4 hour gigs ( not 2), tear down at least guitars/mics, drive myself home dodging road blocks and such. Then repeat and tear down the gear, load, drive, unload, re-load. Many times I had to work the next morning. Early.

In Willies final 4/5/6 decades of "work" he simply had to wake up and walk a few feet to a stage, play and sing a few songs, and then return to his comfy coach while OTHER people handled everything else including tuning his guitar. (you know, as close as that Martin  would get......)

You need some roadies, Jeff...

On 3/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, Murph said:

I'll travel less than I thought...

"Travel'  use to be in the top 5 of what people planned to do when they retired.   Not a good time to own a Winnebago Franchise or one of those $1M  beach houses you rent out for $800/day.    Back 20 years ago - when gas was going up due to Mideast Unrest - some politicians were mad that people weren't cutting down on their driving  -  so they were pushing hard to increase the Federal Tax on gasoline at the pump.    The more things change, the more they stay insane. 

16 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Travel'  use to be in the top 5 of what people planned to do when they retired.   Not a good time to own a Winnebago Franchise or one of those $1M  beach houses you rent out for $800/day.    Back 20 years ago - when gas was going up due to Mideast Unrest - some politicians were mad that people weren't cutting down on their driving  -  so they were pushing hard to increase the Federal Tax on gasoline at the pump.    The more things change, the more they stay insane. 

I live just one town north of one of those areas where they rent out those houses in N. Myrtle Beach. I am not looking forward to tourist season. It hasn't started yet, but it's coming. The dreaded 19 didn't slow anything down around here, as South Cacalacians don't give a rip. They got happy hours to get to in their Golf Carts and if you think their Yeti mugs have coffee in them, will then its 80 proof coffee.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Travel'  use to be in the top 5 of what people planned to do when they retired.  

I hate the timing, I mean I KNEW all fuel would be going up, but didn't foresee this much chaos. My Ram has a Hemi, but it gets 22 mpg on the interstate.

However, the pendulum is destined to swing back to common sense now that this experiment has had the expected results.

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I hate the timing, I mean I KNEW all fuel would be going up, but didn't foresee this much chaos. My Ram has a Hemi, but it gets 22 mpg on the interstate.

However, the pendulum is destined to swing back to common sense now that this experiment has had the expected results.

Me and my wife want to. I'm going to Canada as soon as it warms up and then to Europe. I will be on mushrooms at the Van Gogh museum one day.

Well, mentioning your wife...

Learning to live together after 20/30/40 years of being a working couple with different schedules looks to be a learning process as well. She'll retire pretty soon and we'll enter a different stage.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Well, mentioning your wife...

Learning to live together after 20/30/40 years of being a working couple with different schedules looks to be a learning process as well. She'll retire pretty soon and we'll enter a different stage.

Aaaaah.   You brought up one of the biggest 'challenges'!!!    Some grow closer together.  Some grow further apart.  For me, it helped to read a bit and find out how destructive it can be carrying over the same ego-driven mentality  that was necessary in the workplace  to the marriage.  We had been married 40 years when I retired. Just passed 51.  Could have gone the other way if I hadn't learned not to take things personally.  

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Aaaaah.   You brought up one of the biggest 'challenges'!!!    Some grow closer together.  Some grow further apart.  For me, it helped to read a bit and find out how destructive it can be carrying over the same ego-driven mentality  that was necessary in the workplace  to the marriage.  We had been married 40 years when I retired. Just passed 51.  Could have gone the other way if I hadn't learned not to take things personally.  

My wife and I blended very smoothly when I retired.

She's up late and sleeps late.....I'm asleep usually by 9:30  and up at 4:30.... showered and out in the kitchen by 5....play guitar and type on this thing for 4-5 hours before she gets up.

• Like 1

All the best, Murph, in your retirement!! 
I have not yet (I'm not as old as JT....!), but certainly have thought about it, especially when folks younger than I are retiring, citing all the same reasons:
- enjoy it while you're healthy
- do things you want to
- find another passion/s to busy yourself with
... and so on. 
Still, I like the work that I do, and so that continues to draw me back in.
Twang on!!!

Fred

Okay.

It's been almost a month. Here's one thing you always hear retired people say.

"I don't know how I had the time to work."

This is true. Apparently I'm keeping busy, because I'm not getting things done.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:23 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I just drove the motor home up to Anderson, CA yesterday, (near Red Bluff).   Gas cost me $160…..I’m guessing it’ll cost me another $160 to get home!   

36 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I just drove the motor home up to Anderson, CA yesterday, (near Red Bluff).   Gas cost me $160…..I’m guessing it’ll cost me another $160 to get home!   

Nope. More as the prices go up and up.

11 hours ago, kwalker201 said:

$3.78 in OKC. I have always tried to run 100% in my truck, but that is $4.11.

It went up to $2.15 a litre here in western Canada, it's now gone down to $1.91/l.

That works out to around $5.50 US per US gallon.

And that, of course, is not what our friends in Europe and other areas pay!

"I got GAS....."   🙂

Fred