Gibson Brands Forums

I've Retired...

Murph

On 3/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, Murph said:

Man, I'm 64 and thought I went early. 

Power to ya!

I’ll be 65 this year, but I’ll go another few years, if my job of 20 yrs will have me (which seems likely). Most of me is ready now, but I gotta keep up income and benefits for a while longer. Fortunately, I’m home-based, I love my job, and I get lots of PTO, so…

It’s fun, reading all these tales…

2 hours ago, AnneS said:

I’ll be 65 this year, but I’ll go another few years, if my job of 20 yrs will have me (which seems likely). Most of me is ready now, but I gotta keep up income and benefits for a while longer. Fortunately, I’m home-based, I love my job, and I get lots of PTO, so…

It’s fun, reading all these tales…

The last 4-5 months before I retired I was home based..... I was sitting at my computer each morning at 5 AM, and I sent out a group email asking all my people if they had everything they needed to start the day, (was my way to make sure they were at their work stations and that I was on line).   Was still stressful....so I was anxious to retire.    I was someone's boss from 1972 until I retired in 2020...I told my wife, I don't want to be anybody's boss from now on....she's taken full advantage of that!

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

The last 4-5 months before I retired I was home based..... I was sitting at my computer each morning at 5 AM, and I sent out a group email asking all my people if they had everything they needed to start the day, (was my way to make sure they were at their work stations and that I was on line).   Was still stressful....so I was anxious to retire.    I was someone's boss from 1972 until I retired in 2020...I told my wife, I don't want to be anybody's boss from now on....she's taken full advantage of that!

Women!  Can’t live with them and can’t live without them.

5 hours ago, Murph said:

we went to several, the finest by far was at Webster University in St. Louis.

My daughter has a BFA in musical theatre from Webster University. However she somehow found herself as operations manager for a major advertising agency now (worked her way up from a temp answering phones). My son-in-law (also from Webster) is an actor and musician. And my amazing granddaughter has been in a professional dance training program since she was 10 years old. My ex is a costume designer, so it runs in the family.

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Boyd,   I'm curious  -  how is your  'cabin in the woods'   decorated?    Busman's Holiday with 4 bare walls ...  or does it look like a set from one of Puccini's Operas ?   Butterfly wallpaper ?

LOL, it looks like a cabin in the woods. Quite modest, cedar shakes on the outside, natural pine panelling inside. Kind of a mess, actually. I'm a carpenter and do all my own remodelling but have put it on hold for awhile out of concern for the cost. For me, that's one thing that sucks about retirement (maybe the only thing). It's a constant mental calculation as to which will last longer: me or my savings. 😅

Congrats, Murph!

Thanks, all, for sharing your stories.

I'm still working at 67 and still enjoy my job. I plan on retiring at 70. That will give me the time I so desperately need for all of my non-job the projects. 🙂

When I retired in 2016,  I learned there are some people out there who have a totally different perspective on retiring from their career.   I learned it when I read Willie Nelson was asked when he plans on retiring and he  responded,   “Retire from what?”

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

When I retired in 2016,  I learned there are some people out there who have a totally different perspective on retiring from their career.   I learned it when I read Willie Nelson was asked when he plans on retiring and he  responded,   “Retire from what?”

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

We live about 20 minutes from a popular venue - John T. Floores Country Store , where Willie came into his own.  When I see the grind these guys go through , sleeping on a bus in the parking lot, waking up at 6pm instead of 6am to do a 10 o’clock show,  I realize how very much they must love the music.  

Edited by fortyearspickn

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

We live about 20 minutes from a popular venue - John T. Floores Country Store , where Willie came into his own.  When I see the grind these guys go through , sleeping on a bus in the parking lot, waking up at 6pm instead of 6am to do a 10 o’clock show,  I realize how very much they must love the music.  

That, and the chicks and drugs too. 

The way I retired was not the the way I imagined it would happen. 2017 my father in law passed away, and my wife and I inherited his house (it's paid off) in Little River, SC. My wife was also left an inheritance. A year later my mother passes away, and I was left an inheritance. So we did the smart think instead for snorting up our inheritance (which is what David Crosby would do) we invested it. My wife retired a few years ago from the historical institute she worked at on the College Of William And Mary, and I worked as a contractor for NASA at the time and made enough money, and she was able to walk away from job. In a few years she will start drawing from her VA State retirement, as it was a state job and she was there 25 years. We talked to our financial people and they crunched the numbers and told us we could both retire. I have a military retirement coming in once a month. I hind site we would both rather have our parents back than a house.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'll travel less than I thought...

My financial planner told me it will take some time for me to become comfortable with my accounts getting smaller each year!

Just travel when you feel like it.

Enjoy your retirement!~

4 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My financial planner told me it will take some time for me to become comfortable with my accounts getting smaller each year!

When it hits zero, what happens.

Wait...

Don't tell me.

😵

42 minutes ago, Murph said:

Thanks for all the good wishes, all.

Who knew the price of gas was going to more than double in 13/14 months.

This was taken November 2020

thumbnail_IMG_1511.jpg

Thanks Sleepy Joe. Oh let’s blame it on Covid and Putin. Gas went up 25 cents the day after Joe was sworn in.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

When it hits zero, what happens.

Wait...

Don't tell me.

😵

The minimum you can draw off your 401k each year, (RMD), is structured so that it runs out after 20 years.    So, because of COVID, I wasn't required to start drawing it until I was 71.....so at 91, (theoretically), it 'runs out'...or at least the untaxed amount will have all the taxes paid....THEN I'll be broke!

17 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Good for you Murph! I also Retired this past December and could not be happier. The World is getting Stranger and stranger...

It is but the loonies are now not as afraid to come out, and let us know they are loonies and the WOKE generation is willing to accept that you if identify as a dog, or a cat, or if can't beat men in the sport of you choosing, and you feel the need to compete against real women while claiming you are one  just to win and feel good about yourself, or you want to get your PP cut off cause you just don't feel like you should have been born a man, and that maybe you need more than just a law saying its okay to to that.

I identify as a Martin fan and yet some of you meanies bully me and I cry myself to sleep every night. Maybe I need Guitar Reconditioning Therapy? That and a big hug from you guys.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1