Gibson Brands Forums

Inside my 336

Rabs

If anyone is interested at all.. I went to change the covers on my P90 336.. They didnt fit (not they were not Gibson) but finding official Gibson ones without ordering from Gibson themselves is hard these days.. Used to be able to get that sort of thing at my local shop and I dont really want to import anything at the moment. So I will have to find some others.

Anyway... Thought I would take the opportunity to have a look as I was wondering exactly what the inside of the pickup cavities look like, as in, is the centre block solid.. But it looks like they do make a small gap assumingly to fish the controls in and out...

3jf2kl0.jpg

MLuNq3K.jpg

Also noticed as I oiled the board some major looking scratches. Dont know if it came like this from the factory or someone tried to do some work on it but while it looks bad, I didnt feel it when I was playing and in fact oddly it feels quite smooth.. I will sort that out next time though.. Cant have that on my posh guitar  🙂 

oD69aEy.jpg

Also had  a close look around it to see if I could spot anything else.. Found a small crack in the finish just under the binding near the neck join. Not complaining or anything, just being observant  🙂 

WA4MSp9.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired said:

Interesting. So to change a pickup out, you have to cut that wire loom? Of course you have worked inside guitars before so things are easy for you. 

Well I have never done a guitar like this before..  But you couldn't just cut it off.. You would have to take the whole loom out... Luckily I bought it cos I love P90s 🙂 

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

Well I have never done a guitar like this before..  But you couldn't just cut it off.. You would have to take the whole loom out... Luckily I bought it cos I love P90s 🙂 

Ok, so things can be complicated like this.  I would like to experiment more as I never ever looked inside a guitar before. My son has a $100.00 Vendetta he bought at a pawn shop decades back and he never uses it nor plays. I may give him cash for it and use that guitar for doing things like pickups and such.  Would help me learn more. 

8 hours ago, Retired said:

Ok, so things can be complicated like this.  I would like to experiment more as I never ever looked inside a guitar before. My son has a $100.00 Vendetta he bought at a pawn shop decades back and he never uses it nor plays. I may give him cash for it and use that guitar for doing things like pickups and such.  Would help me learn more. 

Yes.. Seems like a good idea, a practice guitar...

For actually changing pickups in a  guitar like this you have to attach some wire or a tube to the pots and fish them through. Something like this

f86Eph0.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Damn Rab!!! It looks like you have it on life support with all the tubes and such!! 🤣

Not my picture... Thankfully I have never had to do that...  Yet  [unsure]

Just now, NighthawkChris said:

Cool stuff Rabs, looks nice and empty inside - just like my wallet because I had to fill my truck up with gas. 

Yeah, dont worry. Our prices for everything are going through the roof...   Transport costs...  The more petrol goes up the more everything cost..  

Fun huh....

Just now, Rabs said:

Yeah, dont worry. Our prices for everything are going through the roof...   Transport costs...  The more petrol goes up the more everything cost..  

Fun huh....

lol, just had to stick that one in here because once I saw something empty like a semi-hollow body, it reminded me of my wallet 😆  Hopefully your beautiful 336 is treating you well.  I spent my hour playing guitar this morning on lunch break while I WFH. 

8 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

lol, just had to stick that one in here because once I saw something empty like a semi-hollow body, it reminded me of my wallet 😆  Hopefully your beautiful 336 is treating you well.  I spent my hour playing guitar this morning on lunch break while I WFH. 

Sadly I am having issues with my hands at the moment so have not done much playing..  I am probably going to have to go to a doctor at some point.. Been hoping if I left it long enough it would get better but am slowly realising it probably isnt without help..  Getting old, more fun huh  😄  

But I do love the guitar..  Hopefully when it starts to warm up outside things wont be so bad and I can get to play a bit more regularly in general.

Just now, Rabs said:

Sadly I am having issues with my hands at the moment so have not done much playing..  I am probably going to have to go to a doctor at some point.. Been hoping if I left it long enough it would get better but am slowly realising it probably isnt without help..  Getting old, more fun huh  😄  

But I do love the guitar..  Hopefully when it starts to warm up outside things wont be so bad and I can get to play a bit more regularly in general.

Best of luck to you Rabs, I hope that all goes well for you where you can at least sit back down and make some music.  I'm waiting patiently for the warmer weather to arrive, because here in MI, it's not doing too good outside this time of year.  Cannot wait myself when I can retire my coat to the closet for a few months and start going to the beach or something - just being outside enjoyably would suffice.  It will come... 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did they sand that fretboard with 100 grit sandpaper?

Looks like someone did doesn't it, it was second hand so no telling who did it..  A bit odd but easily fixable for me.

P90s in a guitar like that must sound the business!

When I got my 339, I knew there was an intermittent signal loss (of course it wouldn't happen in front of the sales staff). And (of course) it happened again as soon as I got it home.

I found it surprisingly easy to fish the switch out of the lower f-hole to clean the contacts. It went back in just as willingly. Problem fixed. The controls must be positioned where they are for access. Just as well they are handy for operating too.