Gibson Brands Forums

Cowboy chords

RBSinTo

On 3/13/2022 at 9:29 AM, DanvillRob said:

Can up put a bottle on your pinkie and learn slide?

I'll have to learn it first before I can do it with the weakest finger.  So do they just place the slide on certain strings? Or all 6 of them? 

11 hours ago, Retired said:

I'll have to learn it first before I can do it with the weakest finger.  So do they just place the slide on certain strings? Or all 6 of them? 

I don’t use a slide…..guess my grip is too hard….can hear every fret!    I’m sure they use all the strings.   

25 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don’t use a slide…..guess my grip is too hard….can hear every fret!    I’m sure they use all the strings.   

Not always.  To whit:

And dig the single note slide on this gem by the "slidemaster"  

Whitefang

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Good Video example… Like playing Guitar.. You don’t always play all the Strings.. Or do you only play it one way.. Hard… Lots of Technique… Listen to Jimmy Reed & listen to George Harrison for example.. Both played Slide but they sound very different… 

Edited by Larsongs

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't much. When I do I use a riser. They raise the nut position up sufficiently for slide work.

This is not my one. Its a stock shot I found.

th?id=OIP.iSP7Mfea0MmJVq_zwdAxUAHaFt%26p

Edited by merciful-evans
  • Like 1

The Black Crowes do a great version on The Velvet Underground's, "Oh, Sweet Nuthin'" and for the most part it's simply three chords.

G, C, D.  With three guitar players on it, they really create opportunities for each to shine in such a simple arrangement.

Take a listen.

That was clear.  But the "quote" you posted had the reference to him under the YT vid of Harrison giving the impression HE was the "slidemaster" I was referring to.  

And you didn't find this slide work impressive?

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

That was clear.  But the "quote" you posted had the reference to him under the YT vid of Harrison giving the impression HE was the "slidemaster" I was referring to.  

And you didn't find this slide work impressive?

Whitefang

Not one bit. I keep hearing He's So Fine when I hear that song. Why did George release the 2 sides of jams with a bunch of stoned musicians playing. That is when the record comes off the turntable. 

This guy is pretty good. Here is a song he wrote when he was in the Drive-By Truckers. Seen him about 9 times and the Truckers about 11 or so. He has turned into Neil Young, and wants to tell us he also believes you can speak your mind, as long as it is the same thing he believes your okay. I have tix to see him this summer, but my wife can go with someone else, cause I'm not.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

[confused]

Wondering how a violinist got into a discussion of cowboy chords and slide guitar.    But I had to laugh...

I have two nephews who are brothers.  Named Jason and Joshua.  Then I saw the last name of your fiddler up there and what came to my mind was a close parallel.....  (in last name and instrument)  And the name....

Whitefang

So my point in posting the Black Crowes video is that for three basic chords (G, C, D) a band can get into a killer jam.  The interplay between Luther Dickinson and Rich Robinson is a great example of two guitarists getting to do their own solos.  For an added bonus, Dickinson plays slide in his second solo leading to the outro. I can appreciate that.  Three guitar solos in one song, that's a good piece of music.

As far as other slide players, Johnny Winter was a master of slide.  I've been fortunate to see him twice (some 20 years apart) in my life.  Yeah, a lot of folks play slide guitar, but Johnny was a master.  Like his ability to play blazing, rapid fire triplets, Winter knew the value and usefulness of slide when playing.

Edited by Californiaman
Knew
  • Like 1