Gibson Brands Forums

Any horror movie fans on here?

Guitar God

This came in today. Though it came a couple of days late, it is an awesome birthday gift from my Mom! I've always had a big love for horror movies since I was a little kid, so I collect horror movie stuff. It is a Friday The 13th Part 5 pic signed by Johnny Hock, Tom Morga, and **** Weiand. This came from a site called Horror Autographs, which is a great and legit site. They have a lot of cool stuff/collectibles to geek out over if you're a fan. I got some other things from them, too. Always been pleased.  But, yeah, just thought I'd share. 
https://i.imgur.com/wIeCOO1.jpg

40 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Guitar God,

I have never understood the attraction of horror films. 

They obviously appeal to many people, but not to me, and I have no interest in any of them.

RBSinTo

I'm not a big fan of the newer stuff, where it's gore for the sake of gore.  I'm old, I like the old classics, Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney ...  the B&W SciFi's of the 50's. and some that are so bad they're great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

I'm not a big fan of the newer stuff, where it's gore for the sake of gore.  I'm old, I like the old classics, Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney ...  the B&W SciFi's of the 50's. and some that are so bad they're great

Karloff,

I suppose a case could be made that some science-fiction films such as "The Thing" (the original, which I've always considered to be an excellent movie) could also be considered to be "horror" films, but the slashing/hacking/goalie mask/zombie schtick is of no interest to me.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

Too much CGI cliches in modern horror flicks to suit me.  Can only watch just so many house windows blow outward, or insect like creatures climb up walls and crawl on ceilings while tilting their heads like curious puppies before it gets old. 

And what's with those heads shaking back and forth in hyper drive?  :rolleyes:

But I do still like the old Universal horror flicks from the late '30's and the '40's.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Too much CGI cliches in modern horror flicks to suit me.  Can only watch just so many house windows blow outward, or insect like creatures climb up walls and crawl on ceilings while tilting their heads like curious puppies before it gets old. 

And what's with those heads shaking back and forth in hyper drive?  :rolleyes:

But I do still like the old Universal horror flicks from the late '30's and the '40's.  [wink]

Whitefang

yea.. those B&W "Vintage" horror films were the best.   Just used what they had, and it wasn't much

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Karloff,

I suppose a case could be made that some science-fiction films such as "The Thing" (the original, which I've always considered to be an excellent movie) could also be considered to be "horror" films, but the slashing/hacking/goalie mask/zombie schtick is of no interest to me.

RBSinTo

add Alien to that..  The first one especially..  the second one wasn't bad,, after that, it was like --- okay,, we're done here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Karloff,

RBSinTo

We all know who the Thing was in the original movie, don't we?

James Arness, aka Marshall Matt Dillon.

And I, too, am also a fan of the old Universal Studio monster movies.  I've got most of them on DVD.  One of my favorites out of the Universal bunch is "Werewolf of London" starring Warner Oland (aka Charlie Chan in another series of movies from the '30s).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Cool autographed photo!  It's not my main genre (for some reason I gravitate towards dark comedies) but there are a few I liked. 

Pretty much anything by Stephen King - even if the production is bad.  I think The Shining is probably my favorite from that genre.  

I like all the early classics for sure.  The "Evil Dead" series was cool.  As far as newer stuff, there was a movie I liked from 2002 called "Ghost Ship".   Worth checking out. 

Stephen King: 'Christine' was great. Not altogether unprecedented because there was another flick where a car was the monster; The Car in 1977 (which was a bit formulaic).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

Mr. Natural,

And George Fenniman, who became Groucho Marx's announcer on "You bet your life", an early television game show, had an uncredited role in the film as well.

RBSinTo

8 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

And I, too, am also a fan of the old Universal Studio monster movies.  I've got most of them on DVD.  One of my favorites out of the Universal bunch is "Werewolf of London" starring Warner Oland (aka Charlie Chan in another series of movies from the '30s).

Mr. Natural,

Your post reminded me of another horror film ( albeit a comedy-drama) with a similar name that I did enjoy.

"An American werewolf in London" starring David Naughton and Jenny Agutter.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Mr. Natural,

And George Fenniman, who became Groucho Marx's announcer on "You bet your life", an early television game show, had an uncredited role in the film as well.

RBSinTo

That's funny.  I'll have to watch for George the next time I watch The Thing.

"Say the magic word, and the duck comes down and gives you a hundred dollars." 

(It was a hundred, wasn't it?)

35 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Mr. Natural,

Your post reminded me of another horror film ( albeit a comedy-drama) with a similar name that I did enjoy.

"An American werewolf in London" starring David Naughton and Jenny Agutter.

RBSinTo

that is a good flick. I liked it too.  the best werewolf transformation I always thought. Lon Chaney's is my favorite, but this one is great

11 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

I have a funny(and yes, it is true) story about that....

Back in the early '70's, one sunny but cold winter morning, I went to a buddy's upper flat to sell him a lid( *hush!*).  He already had his old beat up portable B&W television on and was watching that "The Thing From Another World"movie(it's complete title) and after buzzing from a good sample of my wares, I did ask, "Say, you know who's playing the 'thing' in this movie, right?"

He said he thought it was just some stunt man in a cheap costume.  I told him it was James Arness.

"The GUNSMOKE GUY?  You kidding?"  he replied.  I confirmed it and he went on...

"I find it hard to believe that him and that other guy on TV are brothers."   So I asked, "You mean PETER GRAVES?"  Then he asked, "Who's Peter Graves?"

I told him.  "That white haired guy on Mission Impossible.  Jim Phelps, remember?"   Then he asked,

"You mean HE'S his brother too?"   confused, I asked, "Too?   Who are YOU talking about?"   He then shocked me with...

"That other guy on TV.  The one who plays Ricky Ricardo."   !!   [omg]

I then asked, "You mean DESI ARNAZ?"   I then reached over and took the "J" out of his hand, telling him he'd had enough.  \:D/

And yes, like I stated, it is a true story.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I'm mot a big fan of horror movies, but rarely watch them too. The last horror I saw was Last Night in Soho. Really creepy as for me, but worth watching. (Found it at https://www.firesticktricks.com/watch-pay-per-view-on-firestick.html, BTW). My recommendation for those who like psychological horror thrillers.

Edited by har_vie