Gibson Brands Forums

Got The Stroboclip HD

Murph

I got it yesterday. Very impressed.

It's a tad wider than the Snark, and quite a bit bigger than the Fishman FT2.

The Fishman is nearly spot on when comparing "in tune" with the Peterson. As I suspected, the Snark is not accurate, and can go either way at any time.

When I used the "Acoustic Sweetener" on the Peterson and then went back to normal 440 ECU, the strings show a little flat. I tinkered with the "Sweetener" for quite some time yesterday and don't think it'll work with other players unless they ALL use it. Otherwise YOU will sound "off". Solo, perhaps there is some merit, still not sure.

It's Chinese, but built much better than the "designed to fail" Snark. Visibility is great, but where this thing really shines, as you would expect from a Peterson, is accuracy. You can dial it in and know it's right, whereas with the cheaper lighted ones it's just close.

Th5ykyY.jpg

I  bought my Peterson StroboClip HD in December 2018. It looks exactly like the one on Murph´s photo. The StroboClip really has a lot of interesting features and works very accurately. I use the "ACU Sweetener" feature, but only tune my guitar at home with it. Murph's comment about not using this feature in the context of a band is correct, I hadn't thought of that.
For sessions and gigs I use a tc electronic UniTune anyway. It's built more robustly for my feeling and is very easy to read even in brightness. The StroboClip is already well made, but the joints are certainly more sensitive. With the lid of the battery compartment I am also not entirely happy, but you do not have to change often. But as I said - accuracy of tuning is wonderful with the StroboCip.

22 hours ago, docr said:

I use the "ACU Sweetener" feature, but only tune my guitar at home with it. Murph's comment about not using this feature in the context of a band is correct, I hadn't thought of that.

I spent some time with the "Sweetener" and can't really climb aboard.

Even IF it's in better tune fretting up the neck, it's still NOT in tune on the open strings.

And, both my Gibson acoustics are pretty darned accurate, and I feel they sound better in normal tune mode.

Those Martins probably do sound better with a little help...

Interesting observation Murph. I'll have a look at the different modes of the StroboClip HD. By the way - I almost don't want to say it - my J-185 has intonation problems, especially on the deep E string. Saddle fits, bridge changed because the inlay was narrower than the slot and tilted away towards the neck due to the pull of the strings. Neck curvature also normal for me. The G at the third fret of the deep E string does not come close to matching the empty G string. Too bad, nice guitar actually.
Fortunately, my other Gibson Acoustics - and Martins 🙂 - do not have this problem.

kidblast - Your comment about price is true for the Peterson StroboClip HD, of course, but the UniTune is not that far off from $20.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:16 AM, kidblast said:

They are a few steps above the $20 clipons but one would expect that at the price point,

I'd say $20 for the better accuracy and $20 for the vibe...

8 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm good with the Peterson strobe for now.

I have the same clip on model you have. I have their tuning app on my phone.

We have an older bench top model at the Carolina Opry backstage for the guitarist and bassist.

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have the same clip on model you have. I have their tuning app on my phone.

We have an older bench top model at the Carolina Opry backstage for the guitarist and bassist.

I have the Piascore Tuner Lite on my iphone. It's for emergencies, if all of my clipons failed together. I've rarely use it, in fact I just looked to make sure I spelled it right and had to update it and turn on my phone mic for that ap, it's been so long. However, it is very accurate, I just checked it with the Peterson.

In a gig situation, and I have some coming up, it's a pain to tune with a phone on a stage, esp multiple instruments.

I went to see the Punch Brothers years ago, and those boys all tuned (quickly) between every song with clip ons that just stayed on their instruments at all times. 

On 6/25/2022 at 7:01 AM, Murph said:

I went to see the Punch Brothers years ago, and those boys all tuned (quickly) between every song with clip ons that just stayed on their instruments at all times. 

It's convenient, thats for sure.   some ppl think it looks dopey,  not sure I care one way or another,