Gibson Brands Forums

I Made A Pick.

Murph

12 minutes ago, Murph said:

Send me your valid credit cards.

VgVB0rx.jpg

My wife bought me one of those stampers you can make a credit card into a guitar pick. I also have 2 BC Picks a TP-1R 35 and a TAD-35. Great picks that defy wear. I've had mine for years and it just has surface scratches on it. It's worn just a hair and I mean a hair.

1 minute ago, ksdaddy said:

I've got one. They work fine. I like beveled edges though and I don't know how to so about it other than try to  sand it.... dunno how well a credit card would do.

The company that makes the stamper also sells sheets of plastic blanks in different thicknesses, so you are not doing it with an old credit card. 

I've used a friend's pick punch to stamp picks from the black plastic bottoms of take-out food containers. The material is thin enough that I get the flexible picks (similar to grey Dunlop .60mm ones)I prefer.

The plastic tops are also good, but are clear, transparent plastic, so unless they are coloured in some way (nail polish/coloured tape) they are very easy to lose.

RBSinTo

15 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I've got one. They work fine. I like beveled edges though and I don't know how to so about it other than try to  sand it.... dunno how well a credit card would do.

I beveled this one a little.

I like beveled edges as well.

I also got one as a gift - went crazy with it.  Grabbed 'Gift Card' blanks at stores for more choices after using my credit cards.    Quit using them after awhile, because they wore out too quickly.   Make nice novelty gifts for some folks.   Starbucks ones for my daughter who loves Starbucks and plays the guitar.  Though she has a Taylor, so .... 

On 7/13/2022 at 10:35 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Quit using them after awhile, because they wore out too quickly. 

Yea, it's just a joke with me, something to do with an expired card while I'm cutting it up.

I have a love/hate relationship with Bluechip. They have a density that no other pick has, but that is also a detriment at times, and they tend to deaden notes. Other times I feel like they enhance. I also hate that they did a Patent grab on Vespel picks. Since they didn't invent, or produce, Vespel, it just feels wrong to me. Took some small pick makers like Charmed Life out of the Vespel pick business. Which hurts us as users.

I really like Wegens and use them about 1/2 of the time lately. The "Bluegrass 1.0". I also use their mandolin picks, like the one above, almost exclusively for mandolin.

My other option is the plain brown beveled Primetone 1.0. Sometimes they feel faster and tonier than the Bluechips and I've started hoarding them in case Bluechip decides to Patent ALL guitar picks and make everybody else quit making them...

I recall old member GillianGirl wrote once in a pick thread that, as a kid, she'd cut up old plastic milk cartons.  I guess on the bottom where they're thicker.  Imagine that'd  last longer than credit cards.  Wonder if I could carve a pick out of one of my dogs' old NylaBones.  Those seem indestructible.