Gibson Brands Forums

Woodstock ‘99 Documentary on Netflix

tx-ogre

Netflix premiered a documentary called Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99 yesterday.  I watched all three episodes today.  Since I never paid any attention to it back then, the whole story was new to me.  Quite the fiasco.  And I certainly could have done without seeing Flea’s naked backside strutting around the stage.

I was wondering about watching that. If you watched all 3 it must be quite interesting? 

I just found this on wiki and thought this was worth quoting

Attendees actually broke through a 100-foot section of this "Peace Wall" on Saturday night (not to get into the show, but to get out).

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I was wondering about watching that. If you watched all 3 it must be quite interesting? 

I just found this on wiki and thought this was worth quoting

I was skeptical at first, but it ended up being worth watching.  It was interesting when they showed the clueless promoters babbling about what a great success it was (can you say delusional boys and girls) and then interviews with the attendees talking about what a disaster it was, how they were getting ripped off big time, which led to the ensuing rampage.  Of course, with so many people under what FZ would have described as being  “under the influence of a fantastic amount of trendy chemical amusement aid” certainly didn’t help.  It pretty much illustrated how not to promote a music festival.

8 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

I was skeptical at first, but it ended up being worth watching.  It was interesting when they showed the clueless promoters babbling about what a great success it was (can you say delusional boys and girls) and then interviews with the attendees talking about what a disaster it was, how they were getting ripped off big time, which led to the ensuing rampage.  Of course, with so many people under what FZ would have described as being  “under the influence of a fantastic amount of trendy chemical amusement aid” certainly didn’t help.  It pretty much illustrated how not to promote a music festival.

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl. 

15 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl. 

Yeah, there is very little coverage of the bands, which was fine by me since I don’t care for most of the bands.  Maybe one song from about 4 or 5 bands that showed the changing mood of the attendees.  It focused mostly on preparation for the event, then the logistical failures and other shortcomings.  There are a lot of interviews with the event staff (i.e., head of security, operations, etc.) and the promoters.  Then coverage of the riot at the end of the last day and video of the NY State Police going in and restoring order.

37 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Missed the original one, as I was about 2 and a half years old at the time. Missed any after that as I could care less about huge festival shows.

Really?  After the original Woodstock and then Altamont it seemed most people COULDN'T have cared less about them.

Whitefang

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Really?  After the original Woodstock and then Altamont it seemed most people COULDN'T have cared less about them.

Whitefang

Yet they still happen. I think Lollapalooza just kicked off. There is Coachella, SXSW, Bonneroo, Austin City Limits. There is the Waken Music Fest in Germany if you want one outside the USA.

So they still happen. Woodstock was the big one and gets all the notoriety. 

Note to Festival Promoters: Do not have The Hells Angels do security for you. It won't be a happy ending if you do.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

That just shows at least how much I care about them.  [wink]  And I never really considered Austin City Limits( a regular on PBS) a HUGE music festival.

Whitefang

It doesn’t matter if you care about them they still exist. 

https://www.aclfestival.com/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

ok then . I watched ep 1 last night.

The interesting part was linking the type of music to the disposition / temperament of the concert goer.  This is what started when Korn appeared. I admit I have never heard of this band. Their point was that (male metal fans) exuberance crossed the line into violence. 

Peace & love belongs to the past? Maybe so.

Probably in Austin - it's their  South By SouthWest thing  (SXSW)  that's more of a 'festival'.  

As far as the original Woodstock -  I was in the NYC Port Authority Sunday getting on a bus heading back to Norfolk as I did most Sundays - when I noticed these thousands of raggedy axx hippies floundering all over the place.  A few years later I realized they were heading upstate to someplace called "Woodstock".   Up until, I thought that was just the canary friend of Snoopy. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Probably in Austin - it's their  South By SouthWest thing  (SXSW)  that's more of a 'festival'.  

As far as the original Woodstock -  I was in the NYC Port Authority Sunday getting on a bus heading back to Norfolk as I did most Sundays - when I noticed these thousands of raggedy axx hippies floundering all over the place.  A few years later I realized they were heading upstate to someplace called "Woodstock".   Up until, I thought that was just the canary friend of Snoopy. 

Woodstock 1st appeared in the Peanuts strip in 1967 but was not named. Mr. Shultz didn't officially name him Woodstock until after the event happened.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And as we know, the festival never took place in Woodstock, New York. (Dylan's home at the time) and really was never intended to take place there.  And the city of Woodstock isn't "upstate", but rather in the state's lower section.  60 miles or so South from the festival's actual location of Bethel, New York. 

Whitefang

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And as we know, the festival never took place in Woodstock, New York. (Dylan's home at the time) and really was never intended to take place there.  And the city of Woodstock isn't "upstate", but rather in the state's lower section.  60 miles or so South from the festival's actual location of Bethel, New York. 

Whitefang

I though it was on Max Yasgur's Farm, but yes it was in the city of Bethel. 

Remember stay away from the brown acid.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

Ah, yes!  That nasty brown acid.  Who could forget that warning?

I'm aware too, that at least one child was born at the festival, maybe a couple more.  Not really sure.  But I've often wondered while they were growing up were they made aware of all that happened at the time?  Did their parents ever tell them they were born at the Woodstock festival?  And if so, what today are their thoughts and feelings about it? 

Whitefang

SXSW in Austin is not your typical music festival.  Instead of cramming thousands of people into a single venue at one time, SXSW lasts 6 days and has performances in almost 100 small venues.  There are occasionally problems at different venues, but the crowds are small enough where they are easily contained.

We had been coming to Austin since 1986 and moved here permanently in 2012.  That move occurred in March 2012, about a week before SXSW.  There wasn’t a hotel room to be had during SXSW.  We ended up renting an unfurnished apartment on a monthly basis.  Since the people who bought our house in Del Rio wanted most of our furniture, we moved to Austin with almost no furniture.  I sat and slept on a patio lounge chair for several nights until the local Sleep Number store could deliver a new bed and the local La-Z-Boy store could deliver a new recliner.  Kinda like indoor camping.

In all those years, we have never attended a SXSW event.  It’s kinda like the 10 years we lived in New Orleans and Mardi Gras.  We went to some of the parades our first year and then only when we had visitors in from out of town.  Other years, like many other locals, we either hunkered down at home or left town.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:37 AM, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Woodstock is over 100 miles north of  THE CITY.     If you are from "Greater New York" - everything is considered 'upstate'  except Long Island.  At least that's my recollection having been born and raised there.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, Whitefang said:

Ah, yes!  That nasty brown acid.  Who could forget that warning?

I'm aware too, that at least one child was born at the festival, maybe a couple more.  Not really sure.  But I've often wondered while they were growing up were they made aware of all that happened at the time?  Did their parents ever tell them they were born at the Woodstock festival?  And if so, what today are their thoughts and feelings about it? 

Whitefang

Glad to be alive I guess.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

SXSW in Austin is not your typical music festival.  Instead of cramming thousands of people into a single venue at one time, SXSW lasts 6 days and has performances in almost 100 small venues.  There are occasionally problems at different venues, but the crowds are small enough where they are easily contained.

We had been coming to Austin since 1986 and moved here permanently in 2012.  That move occurred in March 2012, about a week before SXSW.  There wasn’t a hotel room to be had during SXSW.  We ended up renting an unfurnished apartment on a monthly basis.  Since the people who bought our house in Del Rio wanted most of our furniture, we moved to Austin with almost no furniture.  I sat and slept on a patio lounge chair for several nights until the local Sleep Number store could deliver a new bed and the local La-Z-Boy store could deliver a new recliner.  Kinda like indoor camping.

In all those years, we have never attended a SXSW event.  It’s kinda like the 10 years we lived in New Orleans and Mardi Gras.  We went to some of the parades our first year and then only when we had visitors in from out of town.  Other years, like many other locals, we either hunkered down at home or left town.

My wife and I went to Austin in 2010 or so. It is so far the only place in Texas I liked. Probably cause its not like most parts of Texas. Its more laid back. I remember my wife was working at the Historical Conference she was at and I took the rental car and drove around the city. Driving back towards the hotel (we stayed by the University of Texas at the Marriott where the convention was), I saw a very tan, very naked guy riding a beach cruiser bike down a main street, I did mention he was totally naked right?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Well you have:

1.  Long Island

2. "The City" (no need to be more specific). 

3.  Queens/Brooklyn/Staten Island/Bronx - might as well be one place 

4. Upstate

Westchester liked to think they rate a number, but they are upstate too. 

The City is San Francisco. No Californian says San Francisco, it’s always you want to go to The City?

• Confused 1