Gibson Brands Forums

As Is My Modus Operandi...Thought I'd Post Another Acoustic Version Of A Song I Don't Know - Bohemian Rhapsody

DanvillRob

5 minutes ago, Murph said:

There's a song I would never attempt.

You're just weird, Bob...

Ben, I'm thinking I shouldn't have attempted it either!

It was easy.... except for the chord changes, word phrasing, melody and the fact that I had to manage 2 harmonizers!

You have managed to get me thinking here,  That would be a great song to come up with a parody of.  It would be right up there with Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle." Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," and Denver's "Annie's Song".  Change the lyrics, throw in a kazoo and such.

39 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

You have managed to get me thinking here,  That would be a great song to come up with a parody of.  It would be right up there with Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle." Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," and Denver's "Annie's Song".  Change the lyrics, throw in a kazoo and such.

Maybe Weird Al wound be interested!

Finally got time to listen -  you are obviously a very talented musician with a very deep level of musicality !    This is an impossibly complex, difficult song - and you did a superb job.

And with a 12 string !    Like Ginger Rogers matching Fred Astair's dancing step for step, while going backwards in a dress and heels !   Good Job ! 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Finally got time to listen -  you are obviously a very talented musician with a very deep level of musicality !    This is an impossibly complex, difficult song - and you did a superb job.

And with a 12 string !    Like Ginger Rogers matching Fred Astair's dancing step for step, while going backwards in a dress and heels !   Good Job ! 

Thank you so much...obviously more praise than I deserve....but you're right...it is a horribly complex song.

My wife told me it was a very 'dark' song.....I can't help but think Freddy wrote it after he was diagnosed with AIDS.

42 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Thank you so much...obviously more praise than I deserve....but you're right...it is a horribly complex song.

My wife told me it was a very 'dark' song.....I can't help but think Freddy wrote it after he was diagnosed with AIDS.

Unless Freddie was diagnosed with AIDS in 1975 then that would be a - NO. AIDS first reported case appeared in 1981. I knew AIDS first appeared in the 80's but I thought it was the mid 80's. I had to look it up. 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/24/what-does-bohemian-rhapsody-mean-and-what-is-the-story-behind-it-8070968/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Unless Freddie was diagnosed with AIDS in 1975 then that would be a - NO. AIDS first reported case appeared in 1981. I knew AIDS first appeared in the 80's but I thought it was the mid 80's. I had to look it up. 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/24/what-does-bohemian-rhapsody-mean-and-what-is-the-story-behind-it-8070968/

I suspect Freddy knew long before it became public.....or he had an inkling he was HIV-Positive....but we'll never know....but listen to the words.....if they aren't about his journey with AIDS, they are a close fit.   Or....maybe it was written for a friend of his with AIDS.   

21 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I suspect Freddy knew long before it became public.....or he had an inkling he was HIV-Positive....but we'll never know....but listen to the words.....if they aren't about his journey with AIDS, they are a close fit.   Or....maybe it was written for a friend of his with AIDS.   

He had to know something was wrong even before he was diagnosed, but Bohemian Rhapsody is not about AIDS. It can't be, as AIDS wasn't around in '75. It predated the disease by 6 years.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He had to know something was wrong even before he was diagnosed, but Bohemian Rhapsody is not about AIDS. It can't be, as AIDS wasn't around in '75. It predated the disease by 6 years.

Brian May said it was never discussed who was shot in the head....but Freddy doesn't say he put a gun against his head, pulled THE trigger, now he's dead....he says he pulled "HIS" trigger..... what could THAT mean?

Just now, DanvillRob said:

Brian May said it was never discussed who was shot in the head....but Freddy doesn't say he put a gun against his head, pulled THE trigger, now he's dead....he says he pulled "HIS" trigger..... what could THAT mean?

Some believe he is singing about the death of his heterosexuality.

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Some believe he is singing about the death of his heterosexuality.

That could well be.... HIV was transferred to humans in the 1930's.....but wasn't identified until1981, but it's estimated 100,000 to 300,000 people had the virus prior to it being identified.

Well.... to late to ask Freddy.

Edited by DanvillRob

1 minute ago, DanvillRob said:

That could well be.... HIV was transferred to humans in the 1930's.....but wasn't identified until `981, but it's estimated 100,000 to 300,000 people had the virus prior to it being identified.

Well.... to late to ask Freddy.

Well obviously someone had to have it, for it to be identified. But form 1930 until 1981, and there were no cases of it. I'm not buyin it.

Given the handling of The Pandemic,  I would not be surprised if that other virus was handled poorly by the government, science-  nationally and internationally.     Many songs are to be enjoyed for their affect, not their meaning.  To me -  "Modern Art"  is driven by the intent to create an emotion or impression - not communicate a message.  And then there's poetry.   Maybe Freddy was feeling 'dark' and wanted to create a song that would make us feel that way.  

Irregardless.....  Great performance, DRob. 

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

Given the handling of The Pandemic,  I would not be surprised if that other virus was handled poorly by the government, science-  nationally and internationally.     Many songs are to be enjoyed for their affect, not their meaning.  To me -  "Modern Art"  is driven by the intent to create an emotion or impression - not communicate a message.  And then there's poetry.   Maybe Freddy was feeling 'dark' and wanted to create a song that would make us feel that way.  

Irregardless.....  Great performance, DRob. 

Well, obviously Sarge is right.....I never knew why the song was written....but when I started to learn it, it SCREAMED of someone writing about a horribly dark time in their life,  he was either thinking he was going to die of some disease, or was going to commit suicide, "If I'm not back again by this time tomorrow...carry on, carry on".....and the whole second verse, (of the second part of the song):

Too late, my time has come, sends shivers down my spine

Body's aching all the time.

Goodbye everybody, I've got to go, gotta leave you all

Behind and face the truth.

The beauty of music, (and poems) is that we can each take what we feel inside as the meaning.

18 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

You are a talented guy, Dan.  I wouldn’t even attempt something like that.  Your abilities far exceed what I can do…..Very entertaining.

Thanks, MP….I have the things I can do, and keep away from the things I do.   I do enjoy doing songs I don’t hear anyone else doing.

5 hours ago, Murph said:

"A Night At The Opera" was released in Nov of 1975.

It would be years before Freddie got ill.

He was simply a weird duck.

I mentioned that several posts ago. That was my main point as to why he did not have AIDS or HIV in '75. He was Diagnosed in 1987. That's a span of 12 years, if math is hard for any of us.

He was a strange dude, as a lot of performers are, but he could sing his a-ss off. He had a 4 octave voice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper