Gibson Brands Forums

HELP FROM GIBSON SJ 200 (2018)

Psykolele

hello musical colleagues, my name is victor and I'm from Chile, recently I bought a nice SJ 200 guitar (year 2018), (as we say in South America "the kid's dream")
That's why I'm here, since I have some things that I would like you to help me clarify about my guitar.
First of all I realized that the action of the guitar is in the clouds for me at least, since I measured the height at the 12th fret and it is 4 mm, I never had a guitar with such a high action and it costs me a lot do fingerstyle, bend and things like that, hopefully you can tell me what would be the best action for this type of guitar.
Second, using 11 strings won't affect the sound of the guitar if I change them? What brand and number of strings do you recommend for this one?
Third, would it be good to change the nut to a graphite one? because apparently the one that comes on the guitar seems to be made of bone....

ETERNALLY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE, I HOPE MY ENGLISH IS NOT SO BAD AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ASK!

• Like 1

Hi ^

The ideal string action for this guitar is the one YOU LIKE. So you must visit the expert and ask him to help you finding the balance between the truss-rod and the saddle.  

J-200s for some reason come with various volume-power. Also here it's u to you. I'll suggest starting with 12. Gibson makes (or made) some stings for this model. See if you can find them.                    (something tells me they come in 3 gauges).

The nut can stay where it is, but let the expert see if the grooves could benefit from his file. Enjoy exploring and improving the Jumbo.  You will probably both end happy. 

If what I like, and recommend you go out and buy, and try and then don't like, then we have both just wasted our time, and you your money. You have the guitar you want, and now go try every string you can until you do find what you like. It took me years to finally find the strings I like, and they are coated and I used to hate coated strings. 

I like D'addario XS in 11-52. I have small bodied guitars and 11's are as highest as I will go. That big old guitar can certainly handle 12's or 13's if that is your thing.

3 hours ago, Psykolele said:

I measured the height at the 12th fret and it is 4 mm, 

Sounds about right to me.

Acoustics are supposed to have higher action than electrics.

Lift some weights, eat some protein and don't go lower than 12's.

Just my opinion...

• Like 1

I like 2.25mm string height at the 12th fret - 4.0mm is way too high.

I also use .012" Lights on my Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 - my guitar is very warm sounding and I prefer these strings.

VzsUzrkh.jpg

John Pearse 80/20

Curt Mangan round-core 80/20

D'Addario Nickel Bronze

Edited by Brucebubs
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

4.0mm is close to 5/32" -  way too high!

For you.

I prefer a high action and that's (5/32) where my E (1st) string is, at the 12th fret, (from the string to the fretboard)  on both of my Gibsons. J-15 and J-45. With 12's.

It's perfect.

For me.

I have the old Murph "grip of death" and like to be able to "dig in" to my leads and fills.

And little weanie girlie guys never ask to borrow my guitars.

Okay, just razzin' ya with that one...

\:D/

Edited by Murph
  • Thanks 1

Again, no rule book to follow.  Some like Bruceburbs prefer a low action.  Others like Murph want it higher.  I side with the Murph School here,   A low action tends to make me "overplay" the guitar (if that makes any sense).  A bit of resistance helps keep that in line.  You just have to match it all up against the way you approach a guitar.  Same with strings. When it comes to brand, wrap and gauge it is all about personal preference.  You just need to take the time to acquire a frame of reference.   My one quirk, as example, is I like strings wound on a round core.  Has nothing to do with sound but rather feel.  They just feel a bit looser and more flexible than strings wound on a hex core.  You just have to remain mindful to string them up properly or the windings will start coming undone.   When it comes to the nut I pretty much figure once you finger a note it is taken out of play.  Bone though is the default luthiers go with.  

On another note, for me the key to getting along with an acoustic is to learn the "cheats".   So, I never go with deep bends.  Rather I will slide up 1/2 step and then bend 1/2 step.  Stuff like that.

Edited by zombywoof

Just to echo some folks here, it's really about what you like and, more importantly, how you play.  I'm generally a pretty hard strummer, so a slightly higher action is better for me.  If I was finger picking, I'm sure I'd want a lower action.  I've therefore gotten used to a higher action and one time had my guitar set up at a shop and they set it WAY too low for me--when I strummed hard it was all buzz.  So, to reiterate the points that have been made, there's no hard and fast rule--just what feels and works right for you.

I prefer a moderate to high action too (3.5/4mm at the 12th on the low E). I play with a thickish pick (.88 Tortex Flex) and like to pull certain dynamics from the guitar that a higher action facilitates. 

I use a variety of strings, from Martin Retro 11s at concert pitch on my ‘67 J45 to Ernie Ball Everlast 13s tuned to Eb on my SJ200. That action height seems to work well for me all round, but this is a real “different strokes” thing. Tommy Emmanuel tells everyone to lower their action, but no amount of low action ever made me play like Tommy! 

Go for whatever works for you…there is no right or wrong here, just different flavours.

Psyko,     Congrats on getting your 'dream guitar'.   It's called "The King of the Flat Tops" for a reason.  Not a volume monster - but tone to die for.   I use 12s ( Martin Retros) but tune down a full step to D.  Welcome Aboard.   Oh, and your ingles esta better than some here who were born here !!