Gibson Brands Forums

Does this look like maple to you?

Rabs

On 10/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, saturn said:

I know nothing about woods, but my guess would have been mahogany. And like Farns said, at least some Customs, I think, use mahogany tops. 

That top is 100% NOT Mahogany...  

At different points in the video, the wood looks different different depending on the light and angles.   The  closeup photo in the Original Post looks like mahogany, but clearly later in the video it is not.    At  50 - 59 seconds in it almost looks like 'zebra wood" .  I wonder is this is a pieced and patched together Frankenguitar?   Maybe a real LPc neck but a Chibson body ?   I've seen photos of Sapele that are similar.

Edited by fortyearspickn

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

At different points in the video, the wood looks different different depending on the light and angles.   The  closeup photo in the Original Post looks like mahogany, but clearly later in the video it is not.    At  50 - 59 seconds in it almost looks like 'zebra wood" .  I wonder is this is a pieced and patched together Frankenguitar?   Maybe a real LPc neck but a Chibson body ?   I've seen photos of Sapele that are similar.

The close up in the video link is the back of the guitar which is certainly Mahogany. The close up of the top which I posted is not mahogany, I am sure of that much,

• Like 1