Gibson Brands Forums

Beatles Ed Sullivan colorized

merciful-evans

Agree -   In addition to Epstein's genius -  I think it was 'The Perfect Storm".   Baby Boomers hitting the market,  many interested in dabbling in guitars due to the folk music revival, the phenomenon of Elvis,    Other bands, I think,  rode on the wave - the Stones, ABBA ....   Ed Sullivan had LOTS of acts on his Sunday evening show over the decades - I don't think any came close to the 'buzz' of the Beatles. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

The average 13 year old in 1963 didn't know who Lonnie Mack was. We can debate details,  But The point we are both trying to make is if you weren't there,  you may not understand why the Beatles made such an impact. 

I can't speak for others, but the first wave of rock stars circa the mid 1950s had lost momentum,  Rock it self was without a direction. The Kingston Trio were an established group, but even they were losing traction in the folk scene because folk music had shifted , now you had to be socially aware, protest songs were all the rage in Folk music, Dylan was just making his presence known, but remember how the folk cans turned on him a few years later when he plugged in his Strat. Those folk fans were the original wokies!

The Beatles gave us something different, Rock will always be looking for the next big thing. That is the take away here.  

Well, I was 12 in '63 and was well aware, as were others my age, of who Lonnie was.  and also another guitar slinger  Travis Wammack("Scratchy").  But that all could be regional.

I'd say those folk fans jeering Dylan for plugging in were "purists" rather than the oft misused "woke" thing. (which has nothing to do with music integrity).  To the folk world Dylan was well known and has been since his recording debut in '62.  Just as the Beatles were well known to British rockers at that time also.  Difference being that Dylan's first singles("Mixed Up Confusion", "Blowing In The Wind") didn't chart on top 40 radio.  He fared better on local college stations.  Whereas The Beatles' singles raced to the top in the UK and the U.S. whenever first heard.  And we also shouldn't forget the Beatles' impact on American popular culture as well as music.  Starting with the hair.  Thankfully bringing an end to those greasy DA's!  And I remember several guys back then doing their best to emulate that Liverpool accent the Beatles had.  Pitiful.  In retrospect I'd say they did worse accents than D i c k Van Dyke did in "Mary Poppins".  [laugh]  And as The Beatles quickly tired of doing the same old, same old, and always came up with something new and different with each successive LP, we couldn't wait for the next Beatles album to find out what it would be.   And really, One really didn't have to be there to understand the impact.  It just takes  a little effort.  Music pre-Beatles is still accessible and listening to some of that, then moving up to the Beatles era and "British Invasion" music as well should easily tell the story.  I mean, I wasn't "there",  but just listening to both pre and post "Be-Bop" jazz I could hear the big difference and understand the impact bop had on the genre.    And who knows.....   If NOT for The Beatles, Dylan might have never plugged in!  [omg]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

1 hour ago, Murph said:

The brilliance of the Beatles, to me, was the incredible "buzz" Epstein managed.

Beyond girls screaming, the suits, and funny hair I think they managed to made some of the best recorded music of all time. It was a group effect. They were lucky enough to get stuck with George Martin and the The Beatles were smart enough to listen to him most of the time. Once Brian died, they were lost during the making and recording of MMT and in a few years we would get a few more great albums then it was over. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Murph said:

The brilliance of the Beatles, to me, was the incredible "buzz" Epstein managed.

We all know talent and good looks alone didn't create Beatlemania, nor will it make you successful. 

That hysteria has never been duplicated, although Michael Jackson (somehow) pulled off a little for just a minute.

I mean, the Boys themselves transformed from a pop band to cutting edge music and recordings (with a little help from George Martin) in short time, but the "mania" has never been seen before, nor since.

It was something to witness in real time.

Let’s not forget Elvis.. He transformed the World! Girls screamed & went crazy.. Rock n Roll Phenomenon! The Conservatives hated him & went to War with him.. Burning & Banning Records & his Concerts. It was so crazy the Colonel had to put him in the Army to return the world to Bobby Vinton & Frankie Avalon…

To quote John Lennon, “Before Elvis there was nothing”….

Then “The Beatles”!!!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Another Lennon quote (upon hearing of EP's death): "Elvis died when he went in the army".

I'll go one step further: Elvis died when he joined RCA.

Don't get me wrong. Elvis and Scotty Moore were my greatest influence and I admit to a tear or two on August 16, 1977.

Remember, though, that the void between Sinatra and Presley was,  in retrospect, filled by Johnnie Ray. That was the 'something' before Elvis.

Yes, from time to time, there has always been the “Something’s”….

I hear “BTS” is the biggest selling Group on the Planet.. One by one they are going into the Military to serve their time… I couldn’t tell you who they are or name one Song?

Ghost FL - thanks for the BTS.  Living in a vacuum under a rock, I never heard of them. Forced myself to watch/listen all the way through.    Reminded me of a time when I witnessed the musical appreciation develop in a teenage girl from BTS type of Sugary Sweet Pop Music to Rock and Roll and beyond.  I guess there are within each genre - 'levels'.   Jazz, C&W, Rock, maybe even, if you think it qualifies as 'music-   "Rap".    You start out with what is 'Pop" in whichever genre you're attracted to - move up to stuff with an actual beat, syncopation, etc.  Then,  up another level to where the words have 'meaning'.  And you realize words like 'lyrics' and 'melody', have different meanings.  What's a 'backbeat' ?    Then you find out your idol was influenced by  Chuck Berry or  Leadbelly - and go dabble there for awhile.  Soon, you have 'an acquired taste' and are more self -directed than pushed by radio stations who are pushed by music companies.  So, there will always be 'starter' music for the Bubble Gum Music entry level kids.  And levels going up.  Like  Shreck said -  Layers, like onions.  Or was it the talking Donkey?    

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

You've probably heard this horrible song somewhere. I hate to post this in the same thread with the Beatles.  I don't like this, I just know who they are.  Skip to the hook @ 1:05 

Never heard the song or of the group.  Not to my taste, but they do pretty well for Asian middle school kids.  [wink]  Lip syncing isn't as easy as it looks you know....

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Ghost FL - thanks for the BTS.  Living in a vacuum under a rock, I never heard of them. Forced myself to watch/listen all the way through.    Reminded me of a time when I witnessed the musical appreciation develop in a teenage girl from BTS type of Sugary Sweet Pop Music to Rock and Roll and beyond.  I guess there are within each genre - 'levels'.   Jazz, C&W, Rock, maybe even, if you think it qualifies as 'music-   "Rap".    You start out with what is 'Pop" in whichever genre you're attracted to - move up to stuff with an actual beat, syncopation, etc.  Then,  up another level to where the words have 'meaning'.  And you realize words like 'lyrics' and 'melody', have different meanings.  What's a 'backbeat' ?    Then you find out your idol was influenced by  Chuck Berry or  Leadbelly - and go dabble there for awhile.  Soon, you have 'an acquired taste' and are more self -directed than pushed by radio stations who are pushed by music companies.  So, there will always be 'starter' music for the Bubble Gum Music entry level kids.  And levels going up.  Like  Shreck said -  Layers, like onions.  Or was it the talking Donkey?    

Can only imagine who that teenage girl is, but neither of my daughters, as teens, ever listened to "sugary sweet" pop music.  As pre-teens cable TV came into their lives(and our region) and the quickly glommed onto Mtv and became fast fans of acts like Prince, the older daughter to those big hair spandex bands in the "metal"  machine made genre.  The youngest, despite his death, still remains a Prince devotee, and the eldest, who also while growing up wore out my Zeppelin LPs still follows whatever passes for "metal" these days.  to her credit, she never got into that "Death-Metal" crap I call "Cookie Monster" due to how all the vocalists sound.  I guess it's how they maintain their own identity.  After all, they did grow up amidst my constant playing of jazz, classical, fusion and every form of rock from folk-rock, acid rock and "prog".  And the singer/songwriter branch.  And including Beatles, Zappa and beyond.  Unlike me, who absorbed all I grew up hearing 'round the house like big band, swing,  some classical and eventually my step sister's collection of Hank Williams, Carl Perkins,  Little Richard and other early rock'n'roll pioneers.  And the blues station I'd listen to while sneaking a listen of my brother's crystal radio while he was sleeping.   [wink]

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Sorry, I'm really dragging this thread off topic but, did you ever hear of the "millennial whoop"?  That's one of those songs that has it.    Once you hear it, you'll notice it in a LOT of pop songs. 

I’ve noticed more than one “hook” like that over the years. Like the drum break in Tommy Roe’s Sweet Pea. The electronic hand clapping of 1981 (Private Eyes, Betty Davis Eyes), stuff like that. It’s always struck me as a cheap add-on, and many times not even consciously planned with malice aforethought, it just appeared, like some of the disco hi-hats in some Eagles songs. 

Yes, Elvis died when he left 706 Union Avenue. I will stand there one day, likely just about one year from today.  Been planning and saving. 

Hooks…. Always fun to count how many times Freddy Cannon hollers “woooo!” (He still sounds the same in 2022 btw).

I’ve gone through many eras in my life when I’ve bounced back and forth between the Stones and Beatles. Hot and cold for both. I will state that I survived the period of 1979-81 by the grace of High Tide and Green Grass and Abbey Road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

With a tip of the hat to FishCrumpet - "Honky Tonk Women"  helped me through a few rough patches.   Something  "Blackbird" never did. 

Not Emotional Rescue? Mick will be your savior, steadfast and true, he will come to your Emotional Rescue. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Sorry, I'm really dragging this thread off topic but, did you ever hear of the "millennial whoop"?  That's one of those songs that has it.    Once you hear it, you'll notice it in a LOT of pop songs. 

Not too familiar with that sound as I don't waste time on what passes for "modern music" these days.  But I get it.  Like that electronic drum pad "BOOOooo!" sound on a lot of (ick!) disco tunes.   Luckily, for MY peace of mind, I can't think of the names of any songs that have used and overused it. 

WAIT!  One just came to me! ("BOOoo--ooo)

Then there's that David Lee Roth "squeal".  :rolleyes:

And this type of thing really ain't new.  Like how many '40's big-band numbers used that "Oo-WAH-Oo-WAH!" sound out of their trombones? 

Whitefang

19 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I could only find this on TikTok but .... 🤣

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRHaYBgH/

Got many young 'uns listening to hip-hop in my family.  Seems ALL them dudes give out heavy on the  "uh's"   

And LARS-------

Here's the Beatles doin' that tune on Ed Sullivan......NOT "colorized".  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Got many young 'uns listening to hip-hop in my family.  Seems ALL them dudes give out heavy on the  "uh's"   

And LARS-------

Whitefang

I saw it when it happened as a kid! Talk about a Game changer!

• Like 1

Just now, Larsongs said:
1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

And LARS-------

Whitefang

I saw it when it happened as a kid! Talk about a Game changer!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cookieman15061 said:

When I was a teenager in the 70s I would have given anything for a Beatles reunion.

I was 16 in 1976. The tv movie "Helter Skelter" brought the The Beatles to the fore, as did the release of their double album "Rock n Roll Music" and the release of "Got To Get You Into My Life" as a single 10 years after it had been recorded. We didn't have the internet to spread false rumors but I was convinced they would get back together. Not sure where I heard it, or if I invented it in my own mind. It was short lived.

16 hours ago, cookieman15061 said:

When I was a teenager in the 70s I would have given anything for a Beatles reunion. Now in my 60s I cherish the music they made in that short 7 year span and really glad they didn’t continue.

I would have loved it if they continued but in retrospect, given the strained musical relationship at the time, I think it would  have too negatively affected the music.    But in regards to their output in so short a time, what makes it really astonishing is that much of it was recorded while also dealing with an exhaustive world wide tour schedule.   And let's compare to another well known and popular band.;

In the same amount of time(7 years) AEROSMITH  recorded and released six LPs.  In seven years The Beatles recorded FIFTEEN albums worth of material with releasing   12 albums.  And not a turkey in the bunch.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

27 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I would have loved it if they continued but in retrospect, given the strained musical relationship at the time, I think it would  have too negatively affected the music.    But in regards to their output in so short a time, what makes it really astonishing is that much of it was recorded while also dealing with an exhaustive world wide tour schedule.   And let's compare to another well known and popular band.;

In the same amount of time(7 years) AEROSMITH  recorded and released six LPs.  In seven years The Beatles recorded FIFTEEN albums worth of material with releasing   12 albums.  And not a turkey in the bunch.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

And Aerosmith have not made a decent LP since Rocks in '76. They made lots of video's with Alicia Silverstone in them. The only stinker in The Beatles bunch for me is 1/3 of MMT. It had two songs on it that came out as singles even before Pepper. All You Need Is Love was a single in July of '67. A few of the other songs are sub par. Let It Be was a really good album and not a great one. The songs were rushed to be written, and its the same for me where 2/3 of it is good and the rest is because they needed songs for the current thing they were doing, that was going to be an album, or a concert on a boat, or show somewhere in Libya, or perhaps on a rooftop in London?

By the way the Walrus was not Paul. He was the Hippo.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

As the saying goes, "To each......"   [wink]  

Whitefang

I know. I'm critical about even my favorite band. when bands phone it in it makes me sad.

The Stones have been doing it since about '75 or so. The only album after Goat's Head I can stomach is Some Girls. The rest of their released during that time till are totally unnecessary. How many bought Undercover, Bridges To Babylon, Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheelchairs, or a Bigger Bang? I was not a fan of Tattoo You either, but some love it. I saw them 41 years ago on Oct 18th. It was said it was the last time The Stones would tour and you better go see them. Nope, their still touring.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I was 16 in 1976. The tv movie "Helter Skelter" brought the The Beatles to the fore, as did the release of their double album "Rock n Roll Music" and the release of "Got To Get You Into My Life" as a single 10 years after it had been recorded. We didn't have the internet to spread false rumors but I was convinced they would get back together. Not sure where I heard it, or if I invented it in my own mind. It was short lived.

I distinctly remember People Magazine with them on  the cover with the question….

Will they reunite for 50 million9CD7BF17-98CC-471D-A5CC-C02E848CE89B.jpeg.37d47da11ea40da2b2a24d097331e156.jpeg

That one or "Cream to reform".....went on for years.

'Claudine & death in Aspen' obviously Claudine Longet.......but -

'Sonia Rykiel wraps fannies'....?

(I googled...[rolleyes])

Edited by jdgm

16 hours ago, cookieman15061 said:

I distinctly remember People Magazine with them on  the cover with the question….

Will they reunite for 50 million9CD7BF17-98CC-471D-A5CC-C02E848CE89B.jpeg.37d47da11ea40da2b2a24d097331e156.jpeg

For years, and mostly for a joke, Saturday Night Live made the claim to have taken taken steps to have NBC authorize an offer of $3,000 for them to reunite on their show.  He even got them to "sweeten the pot" by jacking it up to $3250! In the midst of it all, on one show that had George Harrison as musical guest(With Paul Simon as host)  George is shown in a hallway while Paul is walking through to begin the show, and George is talking with Lorne Michaels.  Michaels is trying to explain.  "I thought I was clear that the $3250 was for ALL FOUR of you..."    Anyway....

Last night my local PBS station showed the documentary "Roy Orbison forever".  And it did get into Roy's influence on many of the burgeoning British rock groups like The Beatles and how they and him even shared some billings at rock shows over there  And I seem to recall(but can't remember) either an old interview with John Lennon or more recently Paul McCartney on the Anthology tapes, talk about Roy's influence.  Claiming that in the song "Please, Please Me" ,  when they sing that second "please" it's at a much higher note than any of the previous, thinking it gives that "Roy Orbison falsetto" effect.   sort of their homage to Roy.  

Whitefang