Gibson Brands Forums

And all that jazz

Pinch

I did a post about this but since this is a thread about it.. What do you guys think of this from a 19 year old Prince in 1977 before he released his first album a short while later..  He plays keys, guitar and some bass and drums in parts (apparently)

Did'ja notice the guy with the accordion in Bill Haley's Comets?  The only other "rock" band I recall using an accordion was......

Also the first rock band I saw with a double bass drum set-up in the drummer's kit.

And that accordion was really an instrument known as a Cordovox,  Able to sound like an electric organ and produce other sounds as well.  Kind of an early portable synth.  

Whitefang

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Did'ja notice the guy with the accordion in Bill Haley's Comets?  The only other "rock" band I recall using an accordion was......

Also the first rock band I saw with a double bass drum set-up in the drummer's kit.

And that accordion was really an instrument known as a Cordovox,  Able to sound like an electric organ and produce other sounds as well.  Kind of an early portable synth.  

Whitefang

I've seen Jason Isbell several times and there is a song where the keyboardist plays the Squeeze Box on a song called Codeine. Looks like Jason is playing his sig model D-18. I wanted one till I saw the price, so it was a standard D-18 for me. HIs last album was awful. 

I listened to Miles Davis - In A Silent Way the other night.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I take it that squeeze box isn't a regular feature on all his tunes.  Unlike with Gary Lewis and his band.  That guy played that Cordovox regularly.   Back in '69 the keys player in the band I was in, whose dad ran a commercial/residential  electrical service  got us practice space at a client's music shop.  A few months later I approached the store owner to ask him for a job.  I explained I wouldn't be able to give lessons, as I'm not formally trained, but could sweep up and do other cleaning and stocking jobs and possibly demonstrate giutars for customers.  Telling me "no" he went on to explain....

He said, "I'm dumping all my guitars because they're on the way out." Then, pointing over to some clean-cut goober with a necktie who was sporting a Cordovox, said, " I'm going to start featuring these Cordovox's.  They're going to be the future of modern music!"  [laugh]

Yep.  He thought ALL the rock bands were going to abandon their LPs and Strats and use nothing but.......

So I left without the job, and a year later drove past where his store was and noticed it was gone.  The space has been a dentist office for the last 40 years.  And a thrift shop for the previous 10 years.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang