Gibson Brands Forums

And all that jazz

Pinch

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I'd probably be sucking my thumb.  [laugh]

Oy.  Yeah.  What's called "Smooth" jazz.   There are some good stuff in that genre, but sadly, you have to torture yourself by listening to much of it to find it.

Basie at your Jr. high!  How cool was that?  But don't limit y'self to Miles.  As the horn goes there's several others.  Thad Jones, Fats Navarro, Maynard Ferguson,  Chet Baker.  Nat Adderly.

Odd that some of the Miles you bring up are his Fusion forays.  And their acceptance among the "purists" were not great.  But yeah, IMHO, they're excellent.

Whitefang

I can only take B B when in the mood, but it is considered a Miles classic. So someone might want to check it out. I love In A Silent Way, and would take that over B B anytime. Sketches is so cool. The other 3rd Stream ones he did with Gil Evans are good to like Porgy And Bess and Miles Ahead.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I can only take B B when in the mood, but it is considered a Miles classic. So someone might want to check it out. I love In A Silent Way, and would take that over B B anytime. Sketches is so cool. The other 3rd Stream ones he did with Gil Evans are good to like Porgy And Bess and Miles Ahead.

My wife's pop loved Miles Davis.   The more out there it was, the better,  he was all in with "Head Jazz"  

when I was more inclined to listen to Jazz I really liked Howard Roberts, Larry Corell and Barney Kessel,  phenomenal guitarist.  Especially Howard.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But....

What about-----

?

Whitefang

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You forgot that everyone is supposed to sound like they are playing in different keys.

That seems to be the largest misconception about jazz by those who claim to not like it.  But given these two examples of jazz, which would you say fits that description?

or---------

[wink]

Whitefang

On 10/17/2022 at 10:11 PM, Pinch said:

My forays into jazz have yet to "take", but every now and again I feel I should attempt the task. 

Any recommendations? 

I had the impression your OP is asking about playing rather than listening. 

There are chord patterns online for all sorts of standards. They don't all agree, so check out more than one source. I think this is as good a way as any develop some jazz chops.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I had the impression your OP is asking about playing rather than listening. 

There are chord patterns online for all sorts of standards. They don't all agree, so check out more than one source. I think this is as good a way as any develop some jazz chops.

Then again, listening to a lot of different presentations of jazz could help too.  After all, many of us "long in the tooth" members learned to play rock'n'roll, blues, country and Folk without any online source to "teach" us how to play what we've been listening to for most of our lives.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Then again, listening to a lot of different presentations of jazz could help too.  After all, many of us "long in the tooth" members learned to play rock'n'roll, blues, country and Folk without any online source to "teach" us how to play what we've been listening to for most of our lives.

Whitefang

True. I never had a lesson and worked out tons of stuff that way.

But... I discovered that unless you keep it up, its a skill you can lose. That is why I used these sites a couple of times. It was quicker than me trying to figure it out.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

True. I never had a lesson and worked out tons of stuff that way.

But... I discovered that unless you keep it up, its a skill you can lose. That is why I used these sites a couple of times. It was quicker than me trying to figure it out.  

But then, that's 80% of the fun!  [wink]   Look.....

If you look at how instruction books tell you how to finger say, a G major chord, then see how I finger it,  you'd see MY way is "incorrect".  But they sound the same and my way of fingering it is more comforting to me than maybe anyone else.  Plus, after so many years of doing it my way, to switch over wouldn't be easy and essentially, would be useless and needless.   Now, how I managed to get the fingering incorrect goes back so long ago it's been forgotten.  And why(as Mom Would say) "stir the sh!t"?

Whitefang

18 hours ago, Whitefang said:

But then, that's 80% of the fun!  [wink]   Look.....

If you look at how instruction books tell you how to finger say, a G major chord, then see how I finger it,  you'd see MY way is "incorrect".  But they sound the same and my way of fingering it is more comforting to me than maybe anyone else.  Plus, after so many years of doing it my way, to switch over wouldn't be easy and essentially, would be useless and needless.   Now, how I managed to get the fingering incorrect goes back so long ago it's been forgotten.  And why(as Mom Would say) "stir the sh!t"?

Whitefang

The chord patterns are what I crib. Not how to finger them. In fact I will search for alternatives because there is usually disagreement about the chord details. Even then I will often just use these patterns as research before doing it my own way.

I still occasionally make up chord shapes to make transitions easier.

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I still occasionally make up chord shapes to make transitions easier.

Really, that's basically how it started with me.  Seeing a song on a page with the staves and notation and with those little square grids with the tiny dots on them indicating where the fingers go.  But as they were so small that numbers(indicating which finger) couldn't be placed next to the tiny dots to indicate which finger the dot represents, I was left to my own devices.  And for me, after all these years, it's easier to transition to a "C"  chord from the "G" the way I hold it.   It wasn't until some years later, when I finally bought my first Mel Bay chord book did I discover my mistake.  

Here's a rough idea...

27da4c815ba4b7b4c53995debc1b6acd.jpg

Notice you're not informed as to which finger goes where.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Really, that's basically how it started with me.  Seeing a song on a page with the staves and notation and with those little square grids with the tiny dots on them indicating where the fingers go.  But as they were so small that numbers(indicating which finger) couldn't be placed next to the tiny dots to indicate which finger the dot represents, I was left to my own devices.  And for me, after all these years, it's easier to transition to a "C"  chord from the "G" the way I hold it.   It wasn't until some years later, when I finally bought my first Mel Bay chord book did I discover my mistake.  

Here's a rough idea...

27da4c815ba4b7b4c53995debc1b6acd.jpg

Notice you're not informed as to which finger goes where.  [wink]

Whitefang

I've seen those chords in rock songs, so they must be the wrong ones. You should have learned where your finger goes at around 16 or so.

• Haha 1