Gibson Brands Forums

A genuine Masterbuilt Premium surprise

kidblast

6 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

I thought it was the 80/20's that were extinct not the PB's?

It's the "MASTERBUILTS" that have been replaced.

They were built by GHS, I've been buying the GHS uncoated 80/20's from Sweetwater ever since those days.

I have no idea who builds the new ones for Gibson.

Those are probably corroded in the bags, kid, it's been several years.

I'd save them un-opened and sell them to Mike Wolfe in a few decades.

Gibson shut down its string winding operation around 1975.  I do not have a clue who took over production of Gibson-badged strings back then or even, in fact, whether they continued to sell strings under the own name over the next decade or so.  I have to admit though I have never even tried Gibson Masterbilt strings.  Sounds like they are as hard to find these days though (hence the post) as those copper-bronze Red Brand strings.

Edited by zombywoof

On 10/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, Murph said:

Those are probably corroded in the bags, kid, it's been several years.

I'd save them un-opened and sell them to Mike Wolfe in a few decades.

!LOL!  maybe I can look at it as an investment!

but yea Ben, I thought of that when I was buying them, haven't opened the packaging yet.    I'll report back once I do.

Edited by kidblast

I used to buy Ernie Ball electric strings in boxes of 10 / get 2 free, so it was 12 sets when I was gigging the Midwest with Double Aught.

They will rust in the bags, in the box.

I still have some unopened.

Saving them for Mike Wolfe....

I used to buy Dean Markley Blue Steels when I had electrics. I used to buy about 6 to 8 packs at a time. When I opened a pack one day the high e had black spots all over it. I called and talked to them on the phone (remember those days when you talked to a human?), they sent me a bunch of new packs and a bunch of high e strings. I do not like their acoustic strings.

Good score if those strings are your jam and they are still usable. Hope it wasn't like buying a limited edition signature model and they were $40 a pack.

Amazon has 2 sets get them now.

https://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Masterbuilt-Premium-Phosphor-Acoustic/dp/B0002E1TB8

Edited by Sgt. Pepper