Gibson Brands Forums

Name This Old Archtop ?

Murph

Yeah, I would lean to Kay  if only because of what is more than likely a pressed laminate tiger faux flame top.  Prior to around 1972, Harmony never built with laminate wood so more often as not you are going to see some kind of a shaded top.  Both used generic hardware so not much help when it comes to making an ID.   The nice thing about Harmonys is they went with model number stamps and often a date stamp.  With Kays you are most likely going to get only a number with an "L", "P" or "N" prefix such as that in the eBay listing.  This, however, was not a model designation.  The problem is nobody has yet been able to figure out what that number means.  The best way to date the guitar would be the headstock as Kay used probably half a dozen different styles from the late 1930s on.  You would just need more interest than I can muster up to wade through what is out there to try and sort it all out.

20 minutes ago, Murph said:

I've been wanting an Epiphone for a while. Don't see a lot around here.

One of my Gibson & Epiphone Guitars is the Epiphone “Inspired by Paul Mc Cartney” Texan.. It was relatively inexpensive.. But is well built & is a very good Player.. Many Acoustics have a muddy low end sound.. This one doesn’t. Very clean sounding Acoustic Guitar.. Currently it is on loan to my Granddaughter who is learning to play.. It has a very good neck for a beginning Guitar Player… Thin, low frets & easy to chord…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

One of my Gibson & Epiphone Guitars is the Epiphone “Inspired by Paul Mc Cartney” Texan.. It was relatively inexpensive.. But is well built & is a very good Player.. Many Acoustics have a muddy low end sound.. This one doesn’t. Very clean sounding Acoustic Guitar.. Currently it is on loan to my Granddaughter who is learning to play.. It has a very good neck for a beginning Guitar Player… Thin, low frets & easy to chord…

I've heard good things.

Actually I meant an Epi archtop.

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I'm giving my granddaughter (11 in December) weekly lessons.  You must have a great grand daughter.  Ours has my wife's 50 year old Harmony and bangs it once or twice  each lesson.   I'm hoping, as she begins to actually ENJOY playing the guitar, she'll be more careful.    Clearly - these guitars from the 40s in almost perfect shape were never loaned out to a tween. 

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have owned two Epis over the past 20 or so years both dating to the 1950s - a Triumph Regent archtop and FT-79 flattop.  The Triumph was a mid-level instrument with carved top and back plates, Frequensator  tailpiece and Kluson Sealfast tuners.   Even though Gibson initially adopted the FT-79 model number for the Texan, my NYC-built version has more in common with a Guild F40 than a slope shoulder jumbo.  One of those guitars which does not do anything terribly well but sounds so good trying.

Edited by zombywoof

Pricewise, it's insane that you can buy a vintage USA made archtop with a solid carved top for peanuts. I've found two closet queens, both needing neck resets. Both were around $400. Seems like Harmony and Regals didn't worry about the fit up of the necks figuring the glue would hold it long enough to get sold.

My first find was a '38 Harmony Cremona VI. Looked like it had never been played and the neck was loose. My luthier talked me out of it and did some work on another guitar for me. He added a pickup and used it for a few years when out playing.

65265034_3083973044953941_34783742693421g

The second one is a '41 Regal Recording King. Once again around $400, closet queen, loose neck. I sold the tuners and case which more than covered the cost of the guitar and paid for most of the neck reset.

52123791577_4f54ba476b_n.jpg

Edited by Dave F

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Pricewise, it's insane that you can buy a vintage USA made archtop with a solid carved top for peanuts. I've found two closet queens, both needing neck resets. Both were around $400. Seems like Harmony and Regals didn't worry about the fit up of the necks figuring the glue would hold it long enough to get sold.

My first find was a '38 Harmony Cremona VI. Looked like it had never been played and the neck was loose. My luthier talked me out of it and did some work on another guitar for me. He added a pickup and used it for a few years when out playing.

65265034_3083973044953941_34783742693421g

The second one is a '41 Regal Recording King. Once again around $400, closet queen, loose neck. I sold the tuners and case which more than covered the cost of the guitar and paid for most of the neck reset.

52123791577_4f54ba476b_n.jpg

Did you know the Cremonas and Clippers were carved tops?   They were really  nice. I had a art deco Harmony Clipper archtop. It sported the Airplane on the peg head. 

54 minutes ago, slimt said:

Did you know the Cremonas and Clippers were carved tops?   They were really  nice. I had a art deco Harmony Clipper archtop. It sported the Airplane on the peg head. 

Yes I did. That's what made me buy it.  Both my guitars had maple back and sides.

I learned to play on old Gibson & Epiphone Archtop Acoustics in the Service Clubs when I was in the Army way back when! Funny, I have several Archtop Electrics but all my Acoustics are Flat Tops..

Now I’ve got GAS to go play some Archtop Acoustics! Are there any good new ones worth looking at that aren’t too crazy in price?

Thanks!

Edited by Larsongs

14 hours ago, Dave F said:

Pricewise, it's insane that you can buy a vintage USA made archtop with a solid carved top for peanuts. 

You just reminded me of a Harmony that was in my family when I was young. It was a great guitar for anything.

It had a pickup, maybe two, don't remember.

My Dad smashed it into a car windshield (yea, was a cool car, too) to make a point.

Point was made...