Gibson Brands Forums

What is exactly a custom shop Gibson Les Paul?

gsnake

I am trying to understand what is called Gibson Custom Shop guitars. Say Les Pauls.. I see so many ads where a guitar is 'custom shop' and it does have the COA where it says Custom but it looks pretty much the same as any standard Les Paul.. On the other hand there are custom ones with enhanced binding (on both sides) and the diamond emblem on the headstock and with rectangular inlays.. So why there are both 'custom'? Is this based on the year they were made or some are re-issues and this is why they look 'standard'? Or whats the story? If there is an article about it I would be happy to read it.. thanks!~

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/a-modern-history-of-the-gibson-custom-shop

To use a motorcycle analogy, regular Harleys are built on the shop floor, the Screaming Chicken models are built on the second floor, two senior employees assemble the bike instead of it going down the production line to be slapped together by 50 different people.

The Custom Shop models do have a different feel to them.  It's hard to put into words but they are a step up from the regular models.

Then there's the pre-beat up ones which appeal to a different crowd of people.

To answer your other question, the normal line-up usually went Jr. to Special to Standard to Custom with each model getting fancier as it went up the line (pick  ups, binding, fret board material).

You can also custom order yours to your specifications. Those are M2M or Made to Measure. I had a Les Paul Axcess Bengal Burst built M2M with specific tuners and a cherry back and neck like the original one shown on Gibson's website before they changed the back and neck to black. First time ordering a guitar site unseen or played. Came out PERFECT.

yeah guys, I get it. This is the reason I asked about it. I figured I want a custom one.. life is short.. enjoy it now! 🙂 but why some CS LPs have the diamond on the headstock and some don't? and the binding, etc? Just because the other CS models are re-issues and mimic the original ones (which did not have those)?

29 minutes ago, gsnake said:

yeah guys, I get it. This is the reason I asked about it. I figured I want a custom one.. life is short.. enjoy it now! 🙂 but why some CS LPs have the diamond on the headstock and some don't? and the binding, etc? Just because the other CS models are re-issues and mimic the original ones (which did not have those)?

Do you want a custom built one or a LP Custom. LP Custom is like a LP Standard (its a model type) but supposed to be nicer. Just because a guitar is built in the Custom Shop doesn't mean its gonna get the diamond inlays on it. The LP Custom models did, and remember there was no Custom shop till 1993 or so. 

Oh I see.. I would say I want to have the diamond inlays on it.. But it does not matter that much if I can find a great LP custom.. I currently have a Classic one which is great and S-1 1976. S1 neck feels so good! And I went to local store before I even had a LP and took one to play there. And it was an expensive LP (over 5K). So I was really blown away with it and next day I got my new LP classic. Now I understand why I was so impressed LOL. Back then I did not know the details.. 

On 11/10/2022 at 9:17 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

I just read a pretty insightful Gibson ad from the 80s

”A Gibson is mass and density crafted into brilliance and sustain. It is electronics on the edge of today’s sound, destined to be tomorrows classic.”

I though it was wood, plastic, metal, glue, and bone, but what do I know, I've only owned a few.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper