Gibson Brands Forums

Dolly Shows ‘Em On $99 Guitar

Sgt. Pepper

Chief,

Forgive my ignorance, but since I pay no attention to Ms. Parton or her music, I have no idea if she can actually play the guitar or not.

It would seem to me that having very long fingernails on her left hand would make playing virtually impossible, in which case what guitar she holds on stage as a prop,  is immaterial.

RBSinTo 

12 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Forgive my ignorance, but since I pay no attention to Ms. Parton or her music, I have no idea if she can actually play the guitar or not.

It would seem to me that having very long fingernails on her left hand would make playing virtually impossible, in which case what guitar she holds on stage as a prop,  is immaterial.

RBSinTo 

I've seen her play....basic chords....her music genius is putting down words and feelings...not great musical scores.

I like Dolly....but she AIN'T "Rock 'N Roll"!

I'm a dues-paying member of the Hall Of Fame, and I think Steve Winwood, Link Wray, Tower Of Power, Joe Cocker, "Richard" Dale and MANY others deserve induction before Dolly Parton.   (Won't let me post Mr. Dale's first name!)

Edited by DanvillRob

Many people forget(or just never knew) that many "front" performers also know how to play certain instruments.  No matter how rudimentary.  Dolly, Loretta and probably several others know a bit about guitar playing but prefer to just sing, feeling their level of playing can't keep up with the rest of the musicians in their back-up ensembles.   And you'll find excellent guitarists becoming famous for something other than playing guitar.  Like this girl of "Cuchi-Cuchi" fame.  [wink]

I understand she's done some studying with Andres Segovia! [omg]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

29 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I'm a dues-paying member of the Hall Of Fame, and I think Steve Winwood, Link Wray, Tower Of Power, Joe Cocker, **** Dale and MANY others deserve induction before Dolly Parton.

Many deserve induction before any one of those (C)Rap bands ever got inducted. If (C)Rapppers want their own hall of shame, go make your own and put in who you want. The Rock Hall is its own biggest joke.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Many deserve induction before any one of those (C)Rap bands ever got inducted. If (C)Rapppers want their own hall of shame, go make your own and put in who you want. The Rock Hall is its own biggest joke.

My son is taking me to the Hall Of Fame in February.   Usually they require visitors to make a reservation,  but since I'm a member, I only have to show them my membership card (on the phone), and we can get in for free at any time.    I contacted the library to see if I could 'visit' the book I'm in there, (take a photo).   They said the library is closed to the public on Fridays and Saturdays, (the days my son and I are going), but they agreed to let us in and show us the book.   I thought that was very kind of them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My son is taking me to the Hall Of Fame in February.   Usually they require visitors to make a reservation,  but since I'm a member, I only have to show them my membership card (on the phone), and we can get in for free at any time.    I contacted the library to see if I could 'visit' the book I'm in there, (take a photo).   They said the library is closed to the public on Fridays and Saturdays, (the days my son and I are going), but they agreed to let us in and show us the book.   I thought that was very kind of them.

I went a few years back and was under-impresssed. Yeah its another costume worn on stage by______________________. The funny think was the hotel room key collection of I think Timothy B. Schmidt of Poco and Eagles.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Many people forget(or just never knew) that many "front" performers also know how to play certain instruments.  No matter how rudimentary.  Dolly, Loretta and probably several others know a bit about guitar playing but prefer to just sing, feeling their level of playing can't keep up with the rest of the musicians in their back-up ensembles.   And you'll find excellent guitarists becoming famous for something other than playing guitar.  Like this girl of "Cuchi-Cuchi" fame.  [wink]

I understand she's done some studying with Andres Segovia! [omg]

Whitefang

Yes.. Like Aretha Franklin..  She played a lot of the piano parts on her records which I never knew before I watched that recent film about her..  And she did so the whole time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I'm a dues-paying member of the Hall Of Fame, and I think Steve Winwood, Link Wray, Tower Of Power, Joe Cocker, "Richard" Dale and MANY others deserve induction before Dolly Parton.   (Won't let me post Mr. Dale's first name!)

You gotta wonder what their motivation is.  I love Dolly too, but she's definitely not rock and roll.

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

RBSinTo 

She lays the pads of her fingers flat on the fretboard so her nails are kinda suspended above the fretboard.  No flatpicking.  She can strum just fine...