Gibson Brands Forums

Top Hat Repro Knobs????

duane v

So I'm working on a little project on a Cherry 2022 Gibson SG standard I found on eBay for $1050 (Brand New). The listing stated it had a crack in the neck near the nut, but I don't see anything. It's one piece body and the case just like the guitar is brand spanking new.

I'm trying to recreate GH's 64 SG and I'm almost there, but I'm trying to understand "repro top hat knobs"and how they differ from the Gibson top hats of today????

Parts list so far:

1. Wide Bevel 6 screw pickguard.
  2. Nylon Bride Saddles.
  3. Double ring Kluson tuners with bushings. (in transit)
  4. Gibson Maestro.
  5. Faber ABR1 Bridge Post that screw directly into the body.
  6. Historic TRC.
  7. Pointers.
  8. M69 Taller Pup rings.  (in transit)
  9. 1984 Tim Shaw pups.

FullSizeRender_gLgZwS3PUyDy6xsTwCSeSg.jp

IMG_2396.JPG

• Thanks 1

Nitro...... Thanks for the insight on that one.

This is pretty much a Christmas miracle as the wife told me I had $1300 to play with for gifting myself a Christmas gift. Then my wife purchased me the Kluson double ring tuners and offset bushings for Christmas. So other than the slab I just had to buy the M69 pickup rings, knobs, nylon saddles and bridge posts.

I have another project I'm hoping to embark on next year if the slab is still available. I mean I could buy it now but I want to make sure I don't get the high left eyebrow from the wife.

Nice bevels!

I remember 12-15 years ago an SG guy used to complain on the forum about bevels not being cut like the old days.

The first Gibson I ever played was an SG in 1969, (wasn't mine) and I've always loved them. I still have my 79 here, but it belongs to my son.

48 minutes ago, Murph said:

Nice bevels!

I remember 12-15 years ago an SG guy used to complain on the forum about bevels not being cut like the old days.

The first Gibson I ever played was an SG in 1969, (wasn't mine) and I've always loved them. I still have my 79 here, but it belongs to my son.

Charlie Brown was the SG aficionado. 

1 hour ago, Farnsbarns said:

That's just the nitro coming off the nut without a clean line. I can't believe someone thought that was a crack and sold it cheap. 

Well done!

I cant believe either..... a don't pinch me moment.

Speaking of bevels... well no bevels... My SG200 don't even have chamfer's. 

083-1.jpg

Oh.  Top Hat guitar knobs, eh?  

And NOT------

27a70b66d873b06f4e9956c3bee6668f.jpg

[cool]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Always good to get the same comment from 4 people.  

Well, I'm gonna make a comment that's slightly different.  The lacquer is not cracked. It's the same on both sides. It's the way they masked the nut before spraying the finish.

• Thanks 1