Gibson Brands Forums

The Lucy Les Paul Project (George Harrison)

duane v

I've been waiting for some time to find the right Les Paul husk to show up somewhere and I found one on eBay. I think I paid a little too much for it: ($860 for the husk, $40 Shipping, and $93 in taxes. (Total $993). 

One aspect of the project I'm not too sure of is how to darken the upper bout of the guitar. I can certainly use some opinions / advice on that one that wont require stripping that area of the body. 

• I have all the electronics and hardware so I'm good there.
  • I have all the paint, stain and nitro lacquer to fix up the headstock.
  • I just found a vintage "CUSTOM" TRC for $29.

See the cadaver below I will be working with:

Lucy.jpg

Lucy3.jpg

Lucy2.jpg

Lucy4.jpg

Lucy5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Where I need some assistance is how to recreate the darker tint of cherry without being too evasive that's located on the upper bout of the body. The plan is to mask the area (hopefully get a straight line), lightly sand the nitro then brush on a slightly darker tint of cherry stain, then spray some of Stew Macs Aerosol Nitro on the whole top then sand and polish. Do you think this is the correct path? I'm considering purchasing an air brushing kit if that would be a better approach rather than hand brushing the stain.

Thanks for the help.

GibsonLucyLesPaul3.webp

The fact that Lucy's original color wasn't red is interesting.  So there's a path for you to follow Duane.

Try to find out how Gibson colored and finished their '60's SGs  Go "old school" and try contacting reliable luthiers.  Don't bother with You Tube.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The fact that Lucy's original color wasn't red is interesting.  So there's a path for you to follow Duane.

Try to find out how Gibson colored and finished their '60's SGs  Go "old school" and try contacting reliable luthiers.  Don't bother with You Tube.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

I'm assuming Gibson used the Gibson SG Cherry red on the reissue Lucy instruments. I'm still contemplating the portable airbrush kit. But I will contact my local Luthier or maybe somewhere here with vast experience can chime in...... Or I just can "leave it the **** alone" and not have the two tone effect.

10 minutes ago, duane v said:

I'm assuming Gibson used the Gibson SG Cherry red on the reissue Lucy instruments. I'm still contemplating the portable airbrush kit. But I will contact my local Luthier or maybe somewhere here with vast experience can chime in...... Or I just can "leave it the **** alone" and not have the two tone effect.

You gotta have the two tone color effect if your gonna go full Lucy on it.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You gotta have the two tone color effect if your gonna go full Lucy on it.

I hear ya, but I don't want to completely strip off the nitro. 

The alternative is taking the guitar to a tanning bed and masking the area I want to leave dark.

Just now, duane v said:

I hear ya, but I don't want to completely strip off the nitro. 

The alternative is taking the guitar to a tanning bed and masking the area I want to leave dark.

Just cut a piece of some material that reacts with nitro the same shape as the two discolored areas. Hell everything reacts with nitro. Should be easy to find something.

I think you are on the right path (although I confess I have never refinished a guitar).  The idea of stripping the nitro in the area you want to darken then adding the darker stain and re-coating with nitro.  I don't think sanding down the nitro just a little is a good idea - the stain needs to go onto wood, not on top of nitro.  Air brushing would probably give a better result than an actual paint brush.  Just my two cents, as I said, I have never done it myself.

Here is John Sebastian playing Lucy, in her original goldtop finish.

CWbpgGZ.png

And here are the McCoys with Lucy, not long before she became refinished.
Rick Derringer's dad hated the 'beat up' appearance of the goldtop anyway, so Rick was all too glad to take it to Gibson for a refinishing.
That's Rick's drummer brother Randy Zehringer holding Lucy in that photo.

wzi3qIV.png

Rick Derringer got it form John.

Lucy was originally a "Goldtop" Les Paul Standard model with PAF humbucking pickups, a combination initially produced only in 1957 and part of 1958. Gibson records show that serial number 7-8789 was shipped from the Kalamazoo factory on December 19, 1957. By 1965 the guitar was owned by John Sebastian of The Lovin' Spoonful, who traded it to Rick Derringer of tourmates The McCoys for an amplifier to replace one which had blown.

At one point circa 1966 the guitar's original gold finish was worn and, according to Derringer, "It was a very, very used guitar, even when I got it... so I figured that since we didn’t live far from Gibson’s factory in Kalamazoo, the next time the group went there I’d give it to Gibson and have it refinished. I had it done at the factory in the SG-style clear red finish that was popular at the time." However, Derringer wasn't happy with the guitar after the refinish; he sold it to Dan Armstrong's guitar shop in New York.

Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 12/30/2022 at 8:08 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Just cut a piece of some material that reacts with nitro the same shape as the two discolored areas. Hell everything reacts with nitro. Should be easy to find something.

From what I've been researching, a reptile UV light lightens the finish especially the reds. So I found a $60 120 watt bulb and I purchased "cut a piece of some material the same shape as the two discolored areas" and cover it and let the UV light (hopefully) lighten the rest of the body. 

15 minutes ago, duane v said:

From what I've been researching, a reptile UV light lightens the finish especially the reds. So I found a $60 120 watt bulb and I purchased "cut a piece of some material the same shape as the two discolored areas" and cover it and let the UV light (hopefully) lighten the rest of the body. 

How long do you think your going to need to keep it under the light? So basically it is going to be like the sun fading something that you left outside for a while?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How long do you think your going to need to keep it under the light? So basically it is going to be like the sun fading something that you left outside for a while?

I'm going to shoot for about 7 days (4-6 hours each day). I still have some cosmetic work I need to do to the headstock to hide the cracks and paint over Les Paul water transfer.

• Like 2

Here is what I started with

Lucy2.jpg

Used some gluboost and the and the drying accelerator. 

IMG_2522.JPG

Then I applied the gluboost to the previous repair

IMG_2523.JPG

Used a small sanding block with 300 grit sandpaper, the followed it with 800 grit.

IMG_2526.JPG

wiped it down and now waiting for the black gloss airbrush paint.

IMG_2531.JPG

The back of the head stock was a little more challenging. but I was able to get the gluboost to smooth out then hand applied  cherry stain by hand. Then I'm going to airbrush the back of the headstock with cherry stain to blend in the repair. 

IMG_2520.JPG

69491573629_C6DD7A3A-DD64-4F29-93F3-075E

IMG_2528.JPG

KUDOS!

Had I tried working on that, by the time I was through it would look like a "before" photo.  [wink]

I wouldn't have the patience for that kind of project.  I admire anyone with the skill and patience to do that sort of work and do it well.

Whitefang

13 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

KUDOS!

Had I tried working on that, by the time I was through it would look like a "before" photo.  [wink]

I wouldn't have the patience for that kind of project.  I admire anyone with the skill and patience to do that sort of work and do it well.

Whitefang

I still have time to **** it up... lol 

But thanks for thanks for the kudos. This is my first time doing this type of touch up repair. That $500 I spent for that weeks Luthier course at FretHouse I think is paying off. 

• Like 1