Gibson Brands Forums

Chainsaw case repair

Half-Stack

Does anyone have an idea or a point of resource for the repair of a Gen 3 chainsaw case? One of the nubs that is part of the molded case material is cracked and I want to prevent it from getting worse and breaking off completely. I tried some industrial adhesive/ epoxy but it didn’t hold against the strain from the latch. Any other ideas? 
Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Half-Stack said:

Does anyone have an idea or a point of resource for the repair of a Gen 3 chainsaw case? One of the nubs that is part of the molded case material is cracked and I want to prevent it from getting worse and breaking off completely. I tried some industrial adhesive/ epoxy but it didn’t hold against the strain from the latch. Any other ideas? 
Thanks in advance!

Half-Stack,

If you post a few photos of the damaged area, it will be easier to give you good advice and suggestions on repairing the damage.

RBSinTo

Those epoxy's just don't work, I tried fixing pelican cases with all types and it eventually it just falls off. 

I would get a piece of metal and use it as a back plate behind the nub (on the inner part of the case.

Drill a countersink hole on the center of the nub and the corresponding hole on the back plate. 

Get a countersunk screw and nut and and marry the nub and the back plate together. Use loctite. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

And you can always just buy a new case.

You can get those Gibson chainsaw cases for about $200-$300.... But I wouldn't do that when all you have to do is reinforce the nub. Those cases are notorious for having latch issues.

2 hours ago, duane v said:

Those epoxy's just don't work, I tried fixing pelican cases with all types and it eventually it just falls off. 

I would get a piece of metal and use it as a back plate behind the nub (on the inner part of the case.

Drill a countersink hole on the center of the nub and the corresponding hole on the back plate. 

Get a countersunk screw and nut and and marry the nub and the back plate together. Use loctite. 

Half-Stack,

If you are not willing or able to use mechanical fasteners to repair the case, then the alternative is some sort of adhesive, and your choice of which is determined by a number of factors, including the composition of the materials to be glued together.

I recently got an old, worn out Tric  dreadnought-sized case that was ready for the scrap heap, and as a project decided to bring it back from the dead. After stripping off the nylon outer material, was left with a very nice molded  STYROFOAM case, that needed, hinges, latches and a handle.

Long story short: cyanoacrylate, carpenter's glue, silicone sealer, five minute epoxy, and LePage PL Premium Industrial adhesive will not adhere to Styrofoam, and it was only after lots of research and discussion with a friend who builds and renovates homes that I discovered LePage PL 300 Foam board adhesive, which is expressly made for gluing styrofoam insulation panels together, and to other surfaces. A small tube is about $10.00 CDN at Home Depot.

I used leather patches for hinges, nylon strapping for the handles, and brass latches to complete the restoration, and now have a usable case that will house an electric guitar I will be building from a DIY kit in the spring.

If as I suspect, your case has an outer shell of vinyl over a molded styrofoam base, you will need a specialty glue like the PL 300 to make the repair you need.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

They sell duct tape in all colours.

Find the right shade, fix it with the duct tape, and your problems are solved.

(This is how I approach all problems in life. If it can't be fixed with duct tape and zip ties, then it probably can't be fixed.)

I'm gonna shut up now.
😔
3m-extra-heavy-duty-duct-tape-6969.jpg

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

(This is how I approach all problems in life. If it can't be fixed with duct tape and zip ties, then it probably can't be fixed.)

I'm gonna shut up now.
😔

sparquelito,

Youe tongue in cheek comment aside, Duct tape is indeed very handy, but it isn't a panacea. It's effective use depends on the substrates requiring adhesion, and the size and shape of the pieces, ambient conditions and the type of wear they'll be subjected to.

For example, I couldn't use it  (or twist ties) when I was refurbishing the styrofoam guitar case because like every other tape and adhesive I tried, Duct tape wouldn't stick to the styrofoam. A specially formulated, dedicated styrofoam adhesive was required.

Nevertheless, it is still the Handyman's very good friend, and like you, I always have a few rolls on hand.

RBSinTo

On 1/6/2023 at 5:53 AM, sparquelito said:

I'm gonna shut up now.
😔

sparquelito,

Just to be clear, neither duct tape nor zip ties would have been capable of repairing the broken headstock on my j-45.

Sometimes, you just gotta use glue.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

We once secured a Honda CB350 to the wall of a U-Haul using nothing but zip ties. It made the 65 mile trip without breaking one of them.

At my former job, we always said; "If you can't fix it with duct tape, a rubber band, a paper clip and a ViseGrip, it can't be fixed."

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1

I heard someone here with  car-knowledge  say they used pantyhose to replace broken fan belts.   I've seen videos on YouTube of people who have built their homes entirely out of wood shipping pallets.    

I've waited until the OP has tried all the better thought out alternatives before offering  mine:    bring the heat. Shave some plastic off an edge, get a butane torch and melt it into the crack while also softening up the crack.   Worst case (no pun intended)  scenario, you set the case on fire.  Remove the guitar first.  Maybe do it in the backyard.  Wife standing by with a hose. Etc.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:48 AM, gearbasher said:

We once secured a Honda CB350 to the wall of a U-Haul using nothing but zip ties. It made the 65 mile trip without breaking one of them.

At my former job, we always said; "If you can't fix it with duct tape, a rubber band, a paper clip and a ViseGrip, it can't be fixed."

My favorite CB350 of all time, the 1972 edition.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/low-mile-1972-honda-cb350-makes-up-for-lack-of-power-with-great-looks-and-light-anatomy-190376_1.jpg

My least favorite, just a year later.

https://www.nashvillemotorcyclerepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/CB350F-11.jpg