Gibson Brands Forums

2000 Sheryl Crow Country Western any good???

aldiablo

Hi guys,

So I’m still on the hunt for a second quality acoustic to complement my J-45. I spent some time with the Guild F-55 Maple in the guitar store yesterday and it just didn’t sing to me. It was nice don’t get me wrong but didn’t jump out at me.

A Sheryl Crow Country Western from 2000 has come into another music store in town. Has anyone any experience with these? Any opinions? I can only really find info on the 2019 model. Do the 2000 models have the aged top and hot glue? Is it from the Custom Shop? Would it compliment the J-45?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

The appropriate answer is, of course, to go play the thing.

But to answer your question Gibson has released so many runs of this model you would need a scorecard to figure out the differences between them over the years.  I would, however, not expect an earlier run to have the thermally aged top.  I would expect it to have Bozeman's standard AJ style scalloped X bracing and 1 .725" nut.  I do not have a clue what kind of glue they used and to be honest would never think of asking because it does not matter to me.  

Thanks zombywoof. Yeah I’m gonna go in and try it out later in the week. How it plays and feels is of course the main thing. Was just seeing if I could get some info on it first. Just to have a better idea of what I’d be playing. 

I’ve read that there’s been a few runs of it alright and I can’t find any info on what way they were made back then. What type of glue definitely isn’t a deal breaker for me either but it’s nice to know these things. 

Assuming you either intended to 'go play the thing'  or are unable to ...   you asked specifically about the 2000 model  SCCW construction and 'complementing' your J45.    I'm fairly certain they weren't terrifying tops yet back then.  Probably not hide gluing either.   But  whenever it would complement your J45....  I would say yes.  It is, after all, just a Hummingbird. And even thought the same short scale,  spruce top and hog back and sides -  they sound remarkably different than a J45.  So, in that respect - it would 'complement it.    Close but distinctly different.  I have a J45 and an H'Bird and they are clearly different sounding  - both great.  Made in 'this century'.   I assume the round vs square shoulder body makes a big difference. I would not hesitate to buy either or both again. 

Wow thanks fortyearspickn that’s really helpful. Great that you own both those guitars. I actually played Hummingbird up against my J45 when I was buying it and they were definitely very different guitars. I preferred the J45 for having just one guitar. I haven’t liked the past couple of Hummingbirds I’ve played a huge amount but I remember playing some in guitar stores years ago and they were great. 

I love my J45. It’s so woody and warm . Great bass. I’m looking for something that I could use with the J45 for recording. Something that’d be different but they go together if you know what I mean. Something a bit snappier I think. The Guild maple jumbo was too snappy tho. Not enough bass response for me. 

I also want a guitar that I could use one or the other for gigs and I’d be happy with either. 

I need to try out the Country Western I know!

You could very well be right AnneS. Maybe the Guild just wasn’t the right maple guitar. It just lacked warmth to me. They actually have a Gibson Custom Firebird acoustic from 2001 in the same guitar store as the Country Western. It’s a bit out of my current price range, at least until a few other items sell, but it would be interesting hearing the maple body against the CW.

You'll learn more about the J-45 by playing it alongside of one of it's closer siblings, like the square shouldered SCCW, or any mahogany Hummingbird. But if that J-45 sound dissection is not what your looking to do, then maybe look into what Anne was saying about maybe some Gibson maple, which is something Gibson does very well. When I went off on my maple jag, with several maple Gibsons, it was bass note clarity that I was looking for, and those maple Gibsons have that in spades. Yes, they can sound thin if you're not careful. But there's a throaty power band there somewhere, and when you find it, it's gold.

"... any good?"  ha. that's a good one.

Yeah I know the only way to know is to try it. I won’t be able to get in there till later in the week but I’ll get in as soon as I can and give it a good play.

My main obstacle is the availability of guitars to try them.  There is a good vintage/second hand guitar store but of course you never know what’s gonna come in. Most of the other regular guitar stores are pretty limited in what they have. I don’t want to internet shop with acoustics. They vary too much. I also don’t wanna sit on the funds too long cos as is life stuff will come up and I’ll end up eating into it. 

Think I’ll bring my J45 into the aforementioned vintage store and try it against the CW and the maple Custom Firebird he has in. That should give me a good idea of the Gibson maple sound. I didn’t love the Guild maple vibe. As for Rosewood I have enjoyed the few Rosewood guitars I’ve tried recently but what has Gibson got in Rosewood besides very expensive J200’s etc? Also I don’t really wanna go down the Studio route if I can avoid it.

I’m currently in the Hummingbird kind of price range but if/when I sell a synth I have up I could get into the J200 sort of territory maybe.

All the advice has been very helpful with knowing what to expect and to consider even before I try the guitar out. Thanks guys. 

3 hours ago, aldiablo said:

As for Rosewood I have enjoyed the few Rosewood guitars I’ve tried recently but what has Gibson got in Rosewood besides very expensive J200’s etc? Also I don’t really wanna go down the Studio route if I can avoid it.

I’m currently in the Hummingbird kind of price range but if/when I sell a synth I have up I could get into the J200 sort of territory 

I have one of the newer 1942 SJ Banners with the aged top and RW b&s. Very nice. I recently had an L00 RW 12 fret with an aged top made with the M2M program. Very nice. If you don’t mind waiting, the M2M program can cost the same or even less than the standards if you order them correctly. Try out all you can, see what body style and neck shape suites you and determine what wood you want.  You can have the perfect guitar. 

Yeah it’s just the scarcity of options to actually try out in person that’s the problem. I find internet ordering hard to accept for a high priced acoustic. They vary so much from one to the other. What’s the M2M program? I’m not familiar with it.

Bozeman's Made To Measure sales program-  you can order your own specifications through a Five Star Dealer.  I believe the wait it longer than most people would enjoy.   I have 3 guitars - an SJ200 in addition to the J45 and H'Bird.  It is not what I would call loud or 'snappy'.   It is definitely different than the other 2 - sort of like a concert piano compared to an upright piano.   You may need to get straight in your head, between your ears - what you are looking for in terms of  'complementing'  your J45.  Deeper bass,  louder,  snappier,  'fuller', deeper.  Word Salad ?   A Taylor will sound different, but for many who prefer Gibsons - the Taylor sound doesn't 'complement' it so much as  - is the opposite.   G'Luck. 

A few years back, I went into the studio as a first timer, with my maple J100 and a lovely J-45. This song features the capo’d J100 to start, but listen to how the J45 (uncapo’d) rolls in there…
https://song.space/3uxkyu

There’re other instruments in there, of course, but with ear phones, I can sure hear the balance and complementary nature of those two guitars. It’s what came to mind when I read your posts…

Now, at the other end, here’s one with just the maple that I don’t think would work with near as well with just the hog: 

https://song.space/3yx763

And here’s one where the converse is true:

https://song.space/3j5zyz

Anyway, food for thought—your mileage may vary

Edited by AnneS
  • Thanks 1

My brother got a Country Western Sheryl Crow in 2000. He asked if could come and show it - wanted to hear my opinion. I blew my hat off, , , and gave my D-35 a little shock.

I didn't know it was about scalloped (maybe forward shifted) braces. Just heard/felt the response and said : YES, go buy buy that thing !

Played a few modern CWs since and they've been good, yet different. The last one I tried was rather raw - compared to my Birds, , , and I believe it was torrifried. 

Sounds great AnneS. They both definitely compliment each other great when used right on the same track but also do their own thing really well too when solo and used to their strengths.

Thanks E-Minor7 that’s really helpful to know that you heard a CW from the same year and batch and were blown away.  Did your brother hang onto it?

I was recording with the J45 tonight and I’m thinking something with a little more highs would suit it well. The J45 has that great woody low end. The few Hummingbirds I’ve played did seem to be a bit brighter than my J45 so maybe the CW will fit the bill. We shall see. I’ll try the maple Custom Firebird when I’m in there too even tho it’s priced out of my range! 

I own a 2001 Sheryl Crow CW model.  Had it from new.  It is a wonderful sounding and playing guitar, certainly one of my favourites.  I don't what's special about it that makes it sound so good -- the top is sitka, not red spruce, and not torrified. 

It might be kind of hard to see on the body but you can see on the headstock how the toner has a lot of "aging" in it: the top looks quite orangey-like, almost.

AA4e37D.jpg

These ones went on for a few years from their introduction in 2000.  The newest SJ CW issued a few years ago is a bit more hot-rodded, I think, what with a torrified top and all.

But this 2001 model is darned fine guitar.

Fred

8 hours ago, aldiablo said:

Thanks E-Minor7 that’s really helpful to know that you heard a CW from the same year and batch and were blown away.  Did your brother hang onto it?

I’ll try the maple Custom Firebird when I’m in there too even tho it’s priced out of my range! 

Kept it for some 8-10 years before passing it on. He 's not really an acoustic head - initially a colleague in guitar-import offered him a deal. 

Watch out for that F-bird  It's a maple-monster.                                               Now you are prepared, , , , , , ('warned' would be too negative).   

Keep us posted

I have a 2001 Les Paul Standard that I bought brand new is an outstanding guitar. Much better than it “should” be. It’s not a particularly good year or anything. I’ve played other ones from similar years and they were nowhere near as good. I just lucked out. I’ll never part with it.

Ha ha! Thanks for the warning/preparation. 😆

• Like 1

So I very quickly got into the guitar store today while I was passing by. Unfortunately I literally only had a couple of minutes as I was already late for something. Got a super quick strum on the CW. It seems really nice. The Definitely brighter than my J45 but still nice and warm. Nice feel too and tuning was good. There a fair few cosmetic dings but that doesn’t bother me too much. I also got a strum of the Firebird. Strummed an open G and it sparkled. Anyone have any experience/info on these guitars? As I said it’s out of my price range at the mo but if I make a few more sales on gear I have up it is possible.

Gonna get back in at the weekend for a proper play of them.