Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar fashions now

20 hours ago, Whitefang said:

No doubt the reason Paul Simon made the switch.  Back in the "day" whenever I'd see Simon and Garfunkel on TV it looked  like Simon was a little kid trying to play daddy's guitar. [wink]

Whitefang

My first acoustic was a dreadnaught. A Yamaha FG180. I played it in Folk clubs a few times in the 70s. It's size was never a concern to even though was just 5ft 8" (5ft 7" now). Those were very popular guitars and there were many about. It just didn't matter. 40 years later, I opt for a 339 instead because I felt dwarfed by 335s.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:52 PM, Whitefang said:

You mean country players like:                                                                                      or......

or

Hank Williams                                                                                     Lester Flatt                                                                                                         Ernest Tubb....?                                                             

777dac199108905e457cfd45bf372984.jpg               Lester-Flatt-796x1024.jpg          ernest-tubb-1-sized.jpg

Those look like Dreadnoughts to me.  [wink]

But then too.....   There's Taylor                                                                                                                                                                     And Stills

maxresdefault.jpg           10-03-2017-11-16-28.jpg

James, Stephen and even Paul Simon didn't move to concert or "parlor" styles until much later in their careers.

Whitefang

Yes Whitefang  James Taylor along with others did play Dreadnought guitars but fashion moves slowly.   In the picture you put up James Taylor plays a Dreadnought he  also has hair and no beard. He is most likely wearing bell bottom trousers but I'll bet he's not wearing them tonight or playing a Dreadnought guitar!!!. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 5:27 AM, merciful-evans said:

Currently its:

Stainless Steel Frets

Locking Tuners

Rolled Edge Fingerboards

Peter Honore (Danish Pete) complained about all guitars feeling the same a while back. He had been playing a bunch blindfold on an Andertons vid. 

The PRS CE24 I had, came with locking tuners. They were ok, but I don't need them. 

Stainless Steel Frets? I have not played a guitar with these yet. I do have a concern about how this would alter the sound. Also, I would hate having to do any fretwork (levelling & crowning) on them. Nickle alloy is hard enough already.

The real deal breaker has to be the radiused (rolled) edges though. I just cant play them without pushing the E strings off. Fine for chords & that's about it. They are said to be 'comfortable'; but I never touch the edges when I play electric anyway. That's why the Fender TC 90 had to be quickly moved on. I loved everything about that guitar, but the rolled edges rendered it unplayable. 

Another reason to keep to traditional guitars and older models I suppose. 

The 80's had Floyd Rose/Kahler systems, compound radii boards, and all the other Jackson/Charvel style innovations. Some of it was great. I liked the flatter, wider boards etc. Not so keen on active PUs though.

Had a BFR EBMM with SS frets, Traded it in on a R8. 
I found them to be brighter, and not offer the "traction" of slightly tarnished  standard NS fret wire.

No sir I don't like it - Ren and Stimpy: Mr. Horse - Meme ...

1 hour ago, fretplay said:

Yes Whitefang  James Taylor along with others did play Dreadnought guitars but fashion moves slowly.   In the picture you put up James Taylor plays a Dreadnought he  also has hair and no beard. He is most likely wearing bell bottom trousers but I'll bet he's not wearing them tonight or playing a Dreadnought guitar!!!. 

Sure.  But my post was in response to an earlier post that alluded to dreadnoughts not being "popular" at the time the artists shown playing them WERE playing them.  

And I imagine there was a time in his life when James Taylor wore bell bottom jeans, but since 1970 I've only seen him in straight leg jeans or other types of slacks. 

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Sinner 13 said:

Had a BFR EBMM with SS frets, Traded it in on a R8. 
I found them to be brighter, and not offer the "traction" of slightly tarnished  standard NS fret wire.

No sir I don't like it - Ren and Stimpy: Mr. Horse - Meme ...

The brightness is what I suspected. I didn't expect it to feel different though. Interesting. Thank you for that Sinner 13.

Another "fashion" in guitars in the last 20 years I don't really like are the "cutaways" they give acoustics these days.  And I suppose it is a matter of personal preference.  I usually prefer a Florentine cutaway over a Venetian.  Which is why, when choosing an electric, I might lean toward the "Johnny A".  over most other semi-hollows.    But the acoustic "cutaways"  look kind of uninspired to me.  One of the earliest examples I can think of are the  ones on some Takamines back about 20 or so years ago.  

Takamine-Guitar.jpg

Looks as if someone bumped the clay model up against the side of a table.    Others look like jigsaw mishaps.

27332997_1.jpg?v=8D4BB1FA06D9900                          J16995000001000-00-1600x1600.jpg    guitar-789385_12801.jpg

Whitefang

18 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Another "fashion" in guitars in the last 20 years I don't really like are the "cutaways" they give acoustics these days.  And I suppose it is a matter of personal preference.  I usually prefer a Florentine cutaway over a Venetian.  Which is why, when choosing an electric, I might lean toward the "Johnny A".  over most other semi-hollows.    But the acoustic "cutaways"  look kind of uninspired to me.  One of the earliest examples I can think of are the  ones on some Takamines back about 20 or so years ago.  

Takamine-Guitar.jpg

Looks as if someone bumped the clay model up against the side of a table.    Others look like jigsaw mishaps.

27332997_1.jpg?v=8D4BB1FA06D9900                          J16995000001000-00-1600x1600.jpg    guitar-789385_12801.jpg

Whitefang

I'm not a fan of any cutaway on an acoustic... I rarely get that high up on the neck anyway, (@cowboychords).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Guitars with humbuckers installed, with a coil split on the z-axis of the tone knob.

Seems like a popular selling point lately, but I have rarely found a guitar that benefited much from that feature.

😗

Oddly enough I rarely use push-pull coil splits, but will use a separate switch for that purpose more frequently. Its illogical. 

6 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I'm not a fan of any cutaway on an acoustic... I rarely get that high up on the neck anyway, (@cowboychords).

Yeah, I know.  Me neither.  But iffen I ever do, I'll opt for a Florentine. 

31xgxqHUoHL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Whitefang

16 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, that is a nice one.  Or, "rad" :rolleyes: if you will.  Wasn't aware people still said that.  🙄

Whitefang

Apparently they say "radder" too...

He does seem to know his guitars though. A good thing. And that CF sounded great plugged in. 

• Like 1