Gibson Brands Forums

Tell Me About Your Parlor!

Murph

I found a deal on a Swamp Dog round neck parlor resonator, not TOO far away. Went and played it yesterday, didn't pull the trigger, but it was a hoot.

24.25"  scale. 

I thought it was the full size Swamp Dog till I got there, but it played pretty darned comfortable.

Did I mention the hoot factor?

There was a really good old family owned diner next door.

Should I go get a bunch of CASH and drive back to make an offer?

Talk me down......

I have only owned two resonator guitars-  a wood body Kay Kraft and a 1932 Duolian.  The Kay Kraft had the Shireson Bros cone which gave it a somewhat unqique sound. Neither was a parlor though.  Oddly the guy I sold the Duolian to has recently contacted me asking it I wanted to buy it back he would give me first crack at it.  Might be enough to make me break my guitar fast.

As far as parlors the only one I own is a Regal.  With its 12 7/8" lower bout though it just barely qualifies. As it has a maple body and spruce top it was probably originally marketed as a "Hawaiian" guitar and came with an extender nut so you could play it on your lap or Spanish style.  

This thing is more fun than a body has a right to.   That maple body though really comes into play and is the reason I have kept it.  Never measured the scale but the nut width, neck carve and string spacing at the bride make it a very comfy feeling guitar.

Edited by zombywoof

If  you like the guitar and the price is right...you know you'll have money go in and out of your hands for your entire life...you won't remember what you spent and on what.....EXCEPT if you buy a guitar you love...you'll remember it 'till your dying day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

If  you like the guitar and the price is right...you know you'll have money go in and out of your hands for your entire life...you won't remember what you spent and on what.....EXCEPT if you buy a guitar you love...you'll remember it 'till your dying day!

You realize that is the exact opposite of talking me down....

1 hour ago, Murph said:

You realize that is the exact opposite of talking me down....

I'd have more guitars if I had a place to store them.....I promised the wife I"d keep ALL my guitars in the music room.....after playing the J-200 Studio at The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, I got some real GAS for one!   

Our Parlour has two matching couches, a lovely rocking couch chair, and a coffee table made from an antique blanket box that I refinished. Two matching lamp tables straddling one couch and each having a matching lamp, and a wall-mounted flat screen TV above the fireplace complete the furnishings. There are two pictures on the wall, one is a print of one of my favorite photos I took years ago here in Toronto.

I hope this information is helpful.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

No parlor resonator round necks, but here are a few elated things.

Here are lovely little  Oahu and  Bronson Hawaiian square necks from the 1930s.  These were offered by brothers -- Chicago and Detroit -- solid wood vintage sound to die for.

gS1ybBh.jpg

And a couple of Gibson built instruments. 

1978 Dobro

LvFl0bB.jpg

And one I bet you don't have.  Early 1990s

AzLpmZ7.jpg

Best,

-Tom