Gibson Brands Forums

Not exactly the dark side, but…

AnneS

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

Sennie headphones > my opinion > Gibson is way fuller, no capo but flops with capo higher than 2.

So grab both, tune up, play cowboy D Minor (High E string - 1st fret, B string - 3rd fret, G string - 2nd fret, D string open).....play the chord then single note to test the V brace theory....move the chord up a fret at a time to the 14th fret and check the tuning visually and by ear! 

My open mic spot is quite a listening room, with a great house system operated by an employee, not a rando off the street, so their DI set-up works and my man Josh dialed me in just fine.

I’ve moved the L-00 off to my local store for consignment, so, alas, I can’t run the experiment. Unless I run down to the shop and try it there…hmmm, maybe….

But capoing beyond 2 was exactly my issue. I play to accompany my croaking, and I almost always gotta be up the neck. In fact— true story—I had tuned it down a full step a month or so ago (when all you guys were touting the same), and boy-howdy, did she sound fabulous! I mean, goose-bumpy stuff.

But ‘twas in vain, as I can’t sing down there (without transposing every damn thing, which is its own pain in the arse), and so the capo issue was exacerbated and I became, I think, even more downcast.

In the end, it was not just the right fit; it was me, not her; she belongs with someone who will love her for who she is and not give her the cold shoulder for not being someone else.

Now, to be sure, my J100 ain’t ever going anywhere—the higher up the neck the capo goes, the more like a piano she sounds. Jumbo, maple, long scale—that IS a fit. Turns out, the little RW short scale is a good companion for me, too.

Thanks, BK…

Edited by AnneS

1 hour ago, AnneS said:

My open mic spot is quite a listening room, with a great house system operated by an employee, not a rando off the street, so their DI set-up works and my man Josh dialed me in just fine.

I’ve moved the L-00 off to my local store for consignment, so, alas, I can’t run the experiment. Unless I run down to the shop and try it there…hmmm, maybe….

But capoing beyond 2 was exactly my issue. I play to accompany my croaking, and I almost always gotta be up the neck. In fact— true story—I had tuned it down a full step a month or so ago (when all you guys were touting the same), and boy-howdy, did she sound fabulous! I mean, goose-bumpy stuff.

But ‘twas in vain, as I can’t sing down there (without transposing every damn thing, which is its own pain in the arse), and so the capo issue was exacerbated and I became, I think, even more downcast.

In the end, it was not just the right fit; it was me, not her; she belongs with someone who will love her for who she is and not give her the cold shoulder for not being someone else.

Now, to be sure, my J100 ain’t ever going anywhere—the higher up the neck the capo goes, the more like a piano she sounds. Jumbo, maple, long scale—that IS a fit. Turns out, the little RW short scale is a good companion for me, too.

Thanks, BK…

Couldn't be saved, poor Gibbie, gone....

Some blues fingerpicker will probable grab the L-00!  Perfect.

Which capo/s do you use?

Back story - G7 capos on my fat V neck guitars DON'T work and if I bend the strings, a large part of my playing country blues, the string stays bent...and way out of tune. So to the failure pile of capoii it went, knowing that they ARE very good for chord work.....on thinner necks.

So the good news, the G7 Performance 3 is great playing LIVE in tune up the neck a few....quick to place.

Here is the blurb, quite true ...except for string bending...hmm...:

https://www.g7th.com/p3

Now more fiddly but beautifully tunable is the way more expensive G7 Heritage capo with 'compensated string pad' !!! ( I had a muso shop voucher and bought a gold one and a silver engraved one....and I just played capo 3 on my 59 LG3 with the Heritage capo, doing 'fingerpicking faves chord melody style' (no bending strings) and though I swear by the Shubb gold model I always use, bending strings works, I think with the Heritage it is the first time I have played the old LG3 in tune capoed! Great setup from my luthier, passes the D Minor test up the neck and all! But capo, nope. Out of tune. Retune with capo.....

Small problem with the Heritage....opened then free leather pouch to take the capo out of it's house and the pouch fell apart! Don't matter. Capo is reat.

https://www.g7th.com/Heritage

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

Glad the Taylor worked well at the open mic, and as usual they perform very well just plugged direct to the board.

I listened to the A/B samples and I like the clearer high fidelity sound of the Taylor.  The Gibson sounds a little muffled in comparison.  We have to remember that what we hear holding the guitar and sitting behind it is quite different from what the audience hears.  I think you made a great choice and it will do the job you want it to.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 5:20 AM, BluesKing777 said:

Couldn't be saved, poor Gibbie, gone....

Some blues fingerpicker will probable grab the L-00!  Perfect.

Which capo/s do you use?

Back story - G7 capos on my fat V neck guitars DON'T work and if I bend the strings, a large part of my playing country blues, the string stays bent...and way out of tune. So to the failure pile of capoii it went, knowing that they ARE very good for chord work.....on thinner necks.

So the good news, the G7 Performance 3 is great playing LIVE in tune up the neck a few....quick to place.

Here is the blurb, quite true ...except for string bending...hmm...:

https://www.g7th.com/p3

Now more fiddly but beautifully tunable is the way more expensive G7 Heritage capo with 'compensated string pad' !!! ( I had a muso shop voucher and bought a gold one and a silver engraved one....and I just played capo 3 on my 59 LG3 with the Heritage capo, doing 'fingerpicking faves chord melody style' (no bending strings) and though I swear by the Shubb gold model I always use, bending strings works, I think with the Heritage it is the first time I have played the old LG3 in tune capoed! Great setup from my luthier, passes the D Minor test up the neck and all! But capo, nope. Out of tune. Retune with capo.....

Small problem with the Heritage....opened then free leather pouch to take the capo out of it's house and the pouch fell apart! Don't matter. Capo is reat.

https://www.g7th.com/Heritage

BluesKing777.

Bit of a derail here (apologies Anne!) but I am a huge fan of G7th capos. The company was started by my friend Nick Campling who is a fantastic human being and a really innovative chap. I’ve used their capos since the original Performance came out in 2004 and I never play live with anything else. The ART system on the Heritage and Performance 3 capos is brilliant when you want to capo up and go without having to retune between songs. If you do a lot of bending, the light touch of the ART system may not be best suited…I’d recommend the Performance 2 or Newport for that. The latter is particularly tension-adjustable so may suit best. 

Nick is quite a picker-he and I have bought and sold guitars with one another a few times over the years and he owns some stellar kit, including some from John Pearse’s private collection. Wonderful guy.

Capos are cool. I use whichever is hanging around, including of late the McKinney-Elliot that Buc sent me a number of years ago after amusing him with a limerick—about capos. I like that I can store it above the nut, and I love how light and slim it is.

But I need to replace the tubing and have to first figure out how to get the old one off. Probably a blow dryer to loosen it.

I like the rear-grip spring loaders, too, which work on all my necks—I’m not a string bender, though, so I’m not picky. Except I really don’t like the forward clamping styles. I think it’s a visual thing. I have an early-model G7 laying around, which is too chunky-looking also.

(Okay, I lied—I guess I am a bit picky…)😇

Edited by AnneS

On 4/6/2023 at 10:53 PM, AnneS said:

Now, to be sure, my J100 ain’t ever going anywhere—the higher up the neck the capo goes, the more like a piano she sounds.

Same with my J150, Love it up on the 7th fret for Here Comes the Sun, so piano like. I use Thalia capos they come with standard tension and hi tension pads, the hi tension works better with the Gibson. My 150 looks just like your 100 since I changed the pick guard to a "tortoise shell" pick guard.

9 hours ago, AnneS said:

Capos are cool. I use whichever is hanging around, including of late the McKinney-Elliot that Buc sent me a number of years ago after amusing him with a limerick—about capos. I like that I can store it above the nut, and I love how light and slim it is.

But I need to replace the tubing and have to first figure out how to get the old one off. Probably a blow dryer to loosen it.

I like the rear-grip spring loaders, too, which work on all my necks—I’m not a string bender, though, so I’m not picky. Except I really don’t like the forward clamping styles. I think it’s a visual thing. I have an early-model G7 laying around, which is too chunky-looking also.

(Okay, I lied—I guess I am a bit picky…)😇

I only mention the G7 Heritage because you mention tuning difficulties and it is something that actually works - I would say a must - they call it ART ha ha....the string pad adjusts to suit the different string thicknesses and then it...ha ha...stays in tune (to itself, may need a tweak if you play with someone else).

BluesKing777.

Yep, it’s the right guitar for popping out to open mic —great size, fine stage presence, imo.

BK, even thru a friend’s old iPhone, I think you can hear that the house set-up is very satisfactory.  (McKinney-Elliot—ye can barely see the wee thing.) And note the intonation and clarity, even capo’d at 6, on my soft finger-picking on this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pm5gjd6hrlbbc0/Sweet Return-WhiteHorse2023.MOV?dl=0

And no issues with reg’lar strumming, either:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeqavlaurl5uiyp/My Sudden Death-WhiteHorse2023.mov?dl=0

Thanks, all, for walking through this little experiment with me. I believe I did good with my choice.

23 hours ago, AnneS said:

Yep, it’s the right guitar for popping out to open mic —great size, fine stage presence, imo.

BK, even thru a friend’s old iPhone, I think you can hear that the house set-up is very satisfactory.  (McKinney-Elliot—ye can barely see the wee thing.) And note the intonation and clarity, even capo’d at 6, on my soft finger-picking on this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pm5gjd6hrlbbc0/Sweet Return-WhiteHorse2023.MOV?dl=0

And no issues with reg’lar strumming, either:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeqavlaurl5uiyp/My Sudden Death-WhiteHorse2023.mov?dl=0

Thanks, all, for walking through this little experiment with me. I believe I did good with my choice.

BluesKing777 here with a new account.....nobody sent my problem to the boffins and there are other ways to skin a cat!😆

So this is a combination reply/test post!

But Anne.......don’t change a thing! Working well, eh?

And the place is very kind to you......some of the joints I jumped up at made you do cartwheels and plug in to the worst!

(short story - I had played gigs for this promoter at a guitar festival thingy and I saw he had an open mic night Monday at a little bar, so I went reconnaissance a couple of times and third time took my guitar with newly installed pickup that I had tortured in every way possible at home and thought was fabulous. He plugged me direct to his awful little PA and I started playing and.......the guitar sounded like.....cardboard tearing is the nice words for it but......and there was no foldback, just the speaker facing that a way going ..poop, poop, poop. I should have stopped and grabbed a mic for the guitar but I trooped on for 3 songs and sounded woeful....but..ha ha...people in the front clapped and a guy said he loved it! They must have truly ssdesperate for entertainment, let me tell you! I got a free beer! AND got very particular about my pickups! 😃

BluesKing777...testing, testing one.....

Edited by BK777

• 8 months later...
On 4/6/2023 at 10:53 PM, AnneS said:

I’ve moved the L-00 off to my local store for consignment-

Well, the plot thickens… After several trips across the country for 72-hour trials, alas, I’ve brought ‘er home. It’s weird-I already said my goodbyes, and now…she’s back.

I still do need to sell, but I think I’ll wait a few months before I bring it back to the shop, maybe mess with some alternate tunings and see if I can rationalize keeping it.

Not gonna lie, it was a rush to open the case, after all these months.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AnneS said:

Well, the plot thickens… After several trips across the country for 72-hour trials, alas, I’ve brought ‘er home. It’s weird-I already said my goodbyes, and now…she’s back.

I still do need to sell, but I think I’ll wait a few months before I bring it back to the shop, maybe mess with some alternate tunings and see if I can rationalize keeping it.

No sale?

Photos of the L-00 please! Someone here will buy it if it is good!

Or...

Get online, buy a new Mojotone passive soundhole pickup, no battery, and the set the thing to work! Without installation! Hang the lead out front, tape it under to the endpin area and the lead will be behind you and not tripping you! Check  the videos of the Mojotone.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

8 hours ago, AnneS said:

Well, the guitar is probably is wondering, “What the heck was that?”  and is glad to be back home, chuckle.  Seriously, I am currently in love with our unexpected used 2019 Taylor Ltd Sinker 714ce we weren’t looking for, but just fell into.   I can’t believe the sound that comes out of it.  I was not a Taylor fan until this year.  They can make some incredible instruments.  My DIF, who is used to being queen bee,  is getting a bit miffed with all the attention directed at the new kid. 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Haha 1

A Taylor you say?  

Well, I'd say you're in good company.   I have three.  They serve me very well.

Word to the wise.

The Es2 will work out ok, but if you're hitting open mic or using  house gear, you will notice it doesn't have the output that many pickup systems have.

I have use a Tonedexter on my pedal board, and with that, it sounds very good.  Straight in, it does need a bit more channel gain and volume.  you'll want to play around a bit

What works for me is Volume at about 2 O'clock, treble cut a bit, set usually at 10 O'clock, bass usually around 1 O'clock  the rest, I get from the board or from the tonedexter.

Another thing about the ES2 is battery life.  It's a bit shorter than compered to my other acoustics with Fishmans.