Gibson Brands Forums

Inspected By #2

Hype

So I sent back my Gibson Elvis Dove due to a possible lacquer crack/top crack and my new Gibson Elvis Dove came in today. When I got home, I was curious about the tag on the handle of the case.

Anyone have any idea what this means? Is it from Gibson? And if so does this mean it’s a factory 2nd????

Inspected By #2?What is this?

8 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Yes... looks like the case inspector #2 released the case for sale.

What’s a case inspector? Like a QC for a guitar case? If a case is purchased separately does it come with that tag? I’ve never seen one before on a case. Usually when you get a custom shop case it comes with a tag stating the COA is enclosed in the case. I just never seen this one..

Case Inspector #2 declared this product first class and fit for shipping.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Problem is he himself is second. 

8 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Case Inspector #2 declared this product first class and fit for shipping.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Problem is he himself is second. 

Do you trust a #2s opinion??

23 minutes ago, Hype said:

Do you trust a #2s opinion??

I'm without any jetons in this game. It's foreign to me - was just trying to play intereztinnngg. . 

🤡

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I'm without any jetons in this game. It's foreign to me - was just trying to play intereztinnngg. . 

🤡

Yes you are a clown.

21 hours ago, Hype said:

Like someone inspected the case to ensure it’s ok?

Yes... the Quality Control person at the end of the assembly line stuck on a tag that okay's the case for shipping.

They would check all the various parameters of the case, e.g. the lid fits correctly, latches all line up and are functional, seems are straight and glued down, etc...etc...etc...

I suspect in most cases when the guitar and case are 'married', the tag is pulled off and the 'normal' case-candy is added.

But Murph is right....I'd hate  to go through my work life being a "# 2" inspector!

I guess all the good numbers were taken when they hired this inspector.    Gibson doesn't make their own cases - tag probably came with the case from TKL or wherever.   Now I'm going to start wondering if my last new Gibson Acoustic case was inspected, let alone passed inspection.  

OP - FWIW,  You mentioned the pick guard had some light scratches in your other post.  Normally new guitars come with a thin plastic film protecting the p/g.  Strange yours was removed. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I guess all the good numbers were taken when they hired this inspector.    Gibson doesn't make their own cases - tag probably came with the case from TKL or wherever.   Now I'm going to start wondering if my last new Gibson Acoustic case was inspected, let alone passed inspection.  

OP - FWIW,  You mentioned the pick guard had some light scratches in your other post.  Normally new guitars come with a thin plastic film protecting the p/g.  Strange yours was removed. 

Typically there would be a plastic film on the guard. But for whatever reason I don’t believe they put one on the EP Doves. Both guitars I received new didn’t come with one. Especially being a black guitar, you would think Gibson would put one on as black is not forgivable when it comes to blemishing.

Funny, now that this ‘tag’ was discovered, I’m beginning to wonder if they inspect cases at all? Or perhaps defected ones? Bit of confusion as I highly doubt they would remove all these tags for every case created? More mystery..

Also Gibson’s QC is a bit ridiculous even when it comes to case candy. The guitar has gold hardware, yet the second guitar I received came with an optional chrome strap pin, while the first one was gold. The “Kenpo Karate” decal was not shipped neither. I initially thought someone at may have taken these decals, however in confirming with a rep at Yorkville sound Gibson sometimes forgets to include decals as he has seen this happen on a few occasions.

Edited by Hype

1 - Are we sure there is connection between side 1 and side 2 of the tag. 

2 - #2 could very well be the fully qualified employee (on level with #1 #3 #4 and so forth) who checked that this case housed a flawless therefor approved product.

Hype ! - You must go through every detail of the instrument, , , PLUS CASE, , , and see if everything is okay. It's probably a perfectly fine Gibson.                                                                                                                                           If #2 meant dings, flaws or factory sloppiness, no one would be so lame they announced it with a flag. 

Enjoy the inspection, your Sunday evening and the guitar. 

• Like 2