Gibson Brands Forums

Value of a J 150

stokes

I bought this 2001 Gibson J150  back in January from a member on another forum. He was asking $1500  which seemed like a good deal. I could only find one for sale online and that was one In Spain asking  over 6k, which I figured was wishful thinking. Since then 3 more have shown up on reverb asking from  $3400 to $6999. I was able to go play mine before buying and was satisfied it was worth at least what he was asking for it. Was well cared for, I'd guess a 8 or 9 out of 10, very few dings only damage was where the original owner tried to remove some of the flower design from the pick guard, which I have replaced with a tortoise shell pick guard, which I would have done anyway since I dont care for the flower design on the original.It has the original inspection card which shows the action to be the same 6/64ths at the 12th fret as it left the factory. I removed the undersaddle pick up and lowered the action to about 5/64ths and I replaced the tuners with Waverly's.It is the best sounding and playing acoustic I've ever played, but I wonder about the actual value. I surely would not have paid 3k or more for it, or much more than the 1500 I paid for it. So, I am looking for opinions on what the actual value of this guitar, I have no intention of selling it, but I cant even find any info on what it sold for new.

IMG_2541.JPG

Seems like you got a pretty good deal on your J-150. A quick check on reverb shows 4 listings widely separated in price. I’ve linked two of the listings in the $3.5k range - both of these posted less than a week ago. Enjoy your jumbo!

https://reverb.com/item/67572378-2001-gibson-j-150-jumbo-natural-flamed-maple-ohsc

https://reverb.com/item/67504050-2002-gibson-j-150-natural-video

$1500.00 was good deal.

IMO it’s worth more if it were in its original condition. The trick is finding a buyer who doesn’t care about what you’ve done to that Guitar.. IMO as it is, it’s probably still worth $1500.00 with the Pickup System in working condition.. If I were interested I’d have to factor in the cost of having the Pickup & Electronics re-installed plus a correct Pickguard.. Which Gibson probably doesn’t offer aftermarket..

I’m sure others aren’t as picky as me…

Edited by Larsongs

I havent sold a guitar since about 1973, I have no intention of ever selling this one. I have passed down a half dozen hi end electrics to my sons and this and my other 2 acoustics will go the same route when I'm gone.I have the original parts, pg, pick up system and tuning machines and can all be easily re-installed. I never have any remorse about modifying guitars or amps because of any devaluation, I want it to play as I want it to play and will do what is needed to achieve that goal. So I wont be worried about  "finding a buyer who doesn’t care about what you’ve done to that Guitar."

Edited by stokes

7 hours ago, stokes said:

I havent sold a guitar since about 1973, I have no intention of ever selling this one. I have passed down a half dozen hi end electrics to my sons and this and my other 2 acoustics will go the same route when I'm gone.I have the original parts, pg, pick up system and tuning machines and can all be easily re-installed. I never have any remorse about modifying guitars or amps because of any devaluation, I want it to play as I want it to play and will do what is needed to achieve that goal. So I wont be worried about  "finding a buyer who doesn’t care about what you’ve done to that Guitar."

You asked..

values have increased considerably with the release of the Noel Gallagher signature, which is based on this era of J150. Prob explains the price on that Spanish one. Things seem to have normalized but they're still prob +$1000 on what you paid for yours, which can also just be then vs. now overall.

On 4/6/2023 at 3:54 PM, MissouriPicker said:

You likely ‘made out like a bandit.”  Enjoy a great guitar.

Larry's right.

Reverb is a joke. When I was shopping for a round neck reso, I used it to locate some used stuff, took a road trip, offered the store WAY less than they wanted and bought one.

Reverb prices are barely under new. Used stuff is not worth a new price. Used is used.

I still think you did okay.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2002 J-150 i managed to buy for $1400 ten years ago. Its my favourite Gibson in the stable, the tone and playability is supreme.

Not surprised they go for 3-4k now, that period was majestic for those guitars.

Edited by EuroAussie