Gibson Brands Forums

New Build Day.. LP Liteish

Rabs

6 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Cheers..  I know about the spraying conditions..  But again, the guy that I am getting the paint from says not to heat the cans up or it will make it splatter the paint our more (or something to that effect)..  Just shake them for 2 mins before use.

Rabs

I found that to be the complete opposite but I use the StewMac stuff. I tried some nitro stuff from Canada and it was pretty terrible.

1 minute ago, duane v said:

Rabs

I found that to be the complete opposite but I use the StewMac stuff. I tried some nitro stuff from Canada and it was pretty terrible.

Well I will find out for myself soon enough I guess..  We are still only hovering at about only 15 degrees C at the moment..  In the next week or so it will be going up so it wont be for a while yet..

15 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Wait a minute where’d you get that custom headstock overlay made? That’s amazing. I need that for my next project

Very coo huh..  I got them to do it on a fibrous board which is an old school Gibson thing.. BUT I was told by the guy who does the Nitro paint that I will have to spray it black..  The guy I bought it from said it will go black when lacquered.. So I have to opposing views there and will have to do a test on the scrap when I cut it to shape... The nitro guy said he will throw in a small amount of black nitro..

And I got it from https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/  . Not cheap mind you.. Mother of Pearl has got super expensive (like everything else)....

Rabs, I’m really enjoying this Thread &your journey building this Guitar.. That Headstock overlay is a classy touch! Are you going to put a Bigsby B-7 on this Guitar? It would look fantastic & would be a cool usable addition…..

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Rabs, I’m really enjoying this Thread &your journey building this Guitar.. That Headstock overlay is a classy touch! Are you going to put a Bigsby B-7 on this Guitar? It would look fantastic & would be a cool usable addition…..

No, not on this build.. I do have a black bigsby type somewhere but have never got around to using it.. I had thought about using it for that all Walnut build I am doing.. It would look pretty good on that.. Im just not really a tremolo user.

This is also starting to make me a little nervous. This build really will be a test for me, pushing almost every part of the build process to its most difficult... All the multi ply binding, shiny perfect solid finis, carve top etc... So we will soon see what my limits are  [unsure]  🙂 

Edited by Rabs

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

If I personally did any tailpiece change on this it would be a TP-6. It’s kinda evocative of the era this LP was made in. It’s perfect as is though

My5Zxo6.jpg

I'm not familiar. Interesting tail piece. Like it. Could you tell me what it's called? Maybe point me to the model so I might check it out? Expanding the pic doesn't help cause it's too blurry. Ty sir.

Edited by CROWB8

3 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

I'm not familiar. Interesting tail piece. Like it. Could you tell me what it's called? Maybe point me to the model so I might check it out? Expanding the pic doesn't help cause it's too blurry. Ty sir.

He did..   A TP-6 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_pttp040_stop_bar_tp6_gold.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwue6hBhBVEiwA9YTx8LVJRxESR8zbZpNqyfSp7Z4A-DlpSRjw5mlbryBqAOiGjfaK0Ml74BoCx1YQAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

This is also starting to make me a little nervous. This build really will be a test for me, pushing almost every part of the build process to its most difficult... All the multi ply binding, shiny perfect solid finis, carve top etc... So we will soon see what my limits are  [unsure]  🙂 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

giphy.gif

Ha, cheers...  I am booked in for Tuesday by the way.. Gonna do a new back and possibly get a new top too.. Im not 100% happy with the knots. I wonder if in the future they will cause like shrinking issues or even worse some kind of discolouration..  At this point and whats already gone in to this build,  id rather be safe.

Ok..  The guy making my paint says that he made a slightly lighter batch which he thinks is actually closer to the colour I am looking for.

So the original 

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 5

And the first batch on the left and new one on the right....  I do think the new one is closer but damn it I like the darker one too

What do you guys think?

z208XCm.jpg

16 minutes ago, duane v said:

I think the lighter one looks closer..... That's pretty cool you have someone that can mix a paint for you and stuff it in a aerosol can. 

Yeah it is.. I didnt even ask him to do that. I was ok with the first one but got this mail this morning...  I mean, he does do it for a living but its good to get some personal attention..  I also sold him some nice London Plane a short while back and bought Nitro from him for my first couple of build but hat was over a decade ago now.. He says he takes it somewhere and they do the canning for him.

I have made my mind up and gone for the lighter colour.. Its more unique and closer to the Gibson this is based off..

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jdgm said:

The lighter one as there is supposed to be a sparkly gold element in it, yes?

[smile]

It is in both.  He said he used some more pink in the lighter one or something, But it is closer..

19 minutes ago, Rabs said:

It is in both.  He said he used some more pink in the lighter one or something, But it is closer..

Looks closer from the pics....that's quite a lot of paint already!!

Edited by jdgm

Well I went to the workshop today..  And looking at my pictures it wasnt a particularly inspiring day. Not that anything went wrong but there was a lot of people there today and so, lots of waiting for machines and me just doing odd bits and bobs.

I guess its cos I have kind of taken a step backwards that its left me feeling a bit underwhelmed rather than excited to share what happened..

Anyway. Here it is,

New maple top. They only had this bit left so I had to do a two piece which is no issue.

fKZQFnM.jpg

LONSPDS.jpg

1dLwfFz.jpg

tjQ881B.jpg

And new Sapele back

M7JQMFU.jpg

TOnrJBq.jpg

The last time I did the routing for the back I was using my own router which doesnt have a hoover attachment. And man did I get some dirty looks as my wood shavings spewed from my machine  😄  So I was gonna use a workshop one but like the big machines they were all busy and I decided just to take it back to my own workshop and do it in peace where I can make as much mess as  I want..

So that didnt even get done today (see what I mean).

I also spoke to the guy who did the templates for me and hes gonna send me a new one for free as he said he happened to have a spare and I had also ordered the carving templates from him. Result  [thumbup]

Also I got a few other bits done.

The fretboard is now the exact width it needs to be including 2mm off each side for binding (43mm - 56.5mm). Did that on the big disc sander (so much easier than how I used to do it)

VrZCUtD.jpg

I also got on with the fret inlays.. Now, I used to do this with chisels.. Man, each one must have taken 20 mins or so at least to get right (especially on ebony). I know my hands wont take that so I went with the dremel route where you clear most of the space with lie a mini router. I have this base for the dremel and some mini bits. Man.. Why didnt I try this sooner. Each one must have take about a minute to do. I mean they are just roughed out, but getting these to the right size will be easy now.

ixkUH1b.jpg

1lZxPDH.jpg

kB3CJ0t.jpg

y7CVTqh.jpg

For the smallest inlay I needed an even smaller bit

H48WGTq.jpg

I also decided to start doing the inlays for the walnut board..

And had a moment..  The snowflake type I was going to use.. Couldnt find them anywhere... HOWEVER I did find some I didnt even know I had  lol... They are like the snowflake ones but square rather than diamond shape.

Then I had another idea... Change the orientation for every other one... Which I actually think looks pretty cool.. And of course after I had drilled all the holes, I eneded up finding the diamond shape ones  😄  So typical.. 

P9CBmKs.jpg

1W81wuH.jpg

AND THEN, I swear, inlays are like pens or picks. They just go missing.. I had 10.. All of a sudden I had 8 and no idea where the others went and this was what the floor looks like. Spent soooooo long looking for them. Gonna have to order some more, if I can even find them again. I have had these for ages.. Hurrumphhhh...... 

E88lrZf.jpg

So yeah..  A bit of a bitty day again... Hopefully once I get the top and back glued things will start to move a bit more. I may even go again on Friday if theres a space..

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The way you staggered the snowflake inlays is the highlight for me so far. So simple but creative and nice. Well done

Cheers...  Yeah I liked it too.. It simply came from, which way round am I going to put them..  I liked them both ways so did both  🙂  I think I am even gonna do a first fret inlay which is also unusual unless you have blocks.