Gibson Brands Forums

New Build Day.. LP Liteish

Rabs

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Rabs, thinking on from your mum's comment: I was little surprised you used a maple top since you're painting the body. 

Well.. Its not only about looks but sound too..  Having a maple cap, apparently give a brighter snap than say and all mahogany LP..  I just want to do it right. Its not like the top was quilted or AAA flamed...  Now that really would be a sin to cover up.

Very impressive work… It’s coming along nice.y.. I enjoy watching & am learning from you.. I’d like to attempt a build one day.. But, as a complete beginner I think it would be a slab body with a bolt on Neck.. Maybe like a Jr.. 

I’ll be tuning in to watch your progress.. 

7 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Very impressive work… It’s coming along nice.y.. I enjoy watching & am learning from you.. I’d like to attempt a build one day.. But, as a complete beginner I think it would be a slab body with a bolt on Neck.. Maybe like a Jr.. 

I’ll be tuning in to watch your progress.. 

Thanks..  I do feel like I have gotten a bit rusty, thats for sure....  But am gonna try and make this a close as I can. 

And in fact I also started just with slab bodies.. Much easier...  And I get my fretboards pre slotted so thats not an issue.. Id say the hardest part is I always do a set neck and just making sure the neck angle is correct for the type of bridge you are using and getting the neck pocket and neck tenon exact are probably the hardest bits.  The rest of it is just getting a bit of experience using all the tools you need. Knowing how they move and pull etc... 

Also this time around I am having to be really careful with my hands.. Up until this point its been ok but I spent many hours on Tuesday using a chisel and am paying for it a bit now. Its not too bad but I just have to make sure I dont push them too far which is why I havent done anything else this week so far..  If my hands are feeling ok tomorrow I will sand the fretboards down at the very least. If not I will wait  till next week.

Hands are still kinda sore.. Not too bad but I know better than to push it so not update BUT I did get a cool new tool today.. Something I have been mulling over getting.

A palm router/trimmer.. 

I got this cos while I can do some of the smaller jobs with my main router it is somewhat overpowered for doing stuff like binding channels. And the reason thats dangerous is simply its harder to control than one of these small palm ones that will mean I will have WAY more control when it comes to doing the headstock binding channel and stuff like that.

hB6fT5r.jpg

HzU2RV6.jpg

Ohh and of course some nice new router bits which always helps.

Wfpv5Y7.jpg

You can see in this picture that my bits are a bit dull.. See the lines on the side of the body thats a dull bit.

SjYRJr2.jpg

And again. When I come to do the really fine work having clean bits is very important or you increase the risk of chipping out.

So hopefully Monday or Tuesday I will go do some more work. Wont be going to the workshop this week as I dont really need too.

More soon [thumbup]

• Thanks 1

As we have been delving in to this. I thought this vid was interesting of someone doing a carve on a 335 type top. This guy is using the thumb planes. They also recesses the inside on this sort of top. My hands hurt just watching this  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just got the bridge and tailpiece..  Went with the Tonepros locking set..   NICE!!!    This really is gonna be a fancy guitar...  I have either gold schaller or gotoh tuners for this already (cant remember which).

TonePros LPGM02-GLD Metric Locking Bridge & Tailpiece, Gold - Picture 1 of 1

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jdgm said:

My ES-175 came with a Tonepros.

Think they're a great idea.

[thumbup]

Been looking around for pickups.. I do have a set on that old guitar I am going to take apart. I think they are Vansons versions of 57 or 59 PAFs... They are pretty good but I thought id look anyway. Man the Gibson pickup prices are totally bonkers..  For a gold classic 57, just one its £160..  For a set of custombuckers (whatever that actually means) its something like £520...  Just madness. Not worth it, sorry Gibson, I do love your pickups but thats just crazy.

So while I do want this guitar to be great, the Vansons are going on  [-(

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 5:42 PM, Rabs said:

Vansons versions of 57 or 59 PAFs

With all the love and decadency going into this, I like your choice of pups. 57-59 voicing will make for a very warm sound.

What caps would you employ to compliment them with. I ask because I want to do something simular on a platform I'm working on and it presently has orange drops. Wonderiing if those would hold back some of the warmth and might I need to change up those.

Tnx 

2 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

With all the love and decadency going into this, I like your choice of pups. 57-59 voicing will make for a very warm sound.

What caps would you employ to compliment them with. I ask because I want to do something simular on a platform I'm working on and it presently has orange drops. Wonderiing if those would hold back some of the warmth and might I need to change up those.

Tnx 

I do tend to use PIO caps..  I do find them a bit warmer but cant prove it in any way 🙂

But no other work done this week... Just had too many other things to do. Maybe tomorrow depending on how things go.

The one thing I do have to show. I am not sure if I want to use for this build.

Its pretty cool but A, its a matt finish which I dont think will look as good as the normal type and B, Its a bit thick. But I will use it on one build or another.

eDLs5SL.jpg

1UdJ9Ou.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/28/2023 at 5:57 PM, Rabs said:

As we have been delving in to this. I thought this vid was interesting of someone doing a carve on a 335 type top. This guy is using the thumb planes. They also recesses the inside on this sort of top. My hands hurt just watching this  🙂

That's a lot of frickin work for sure. Didn't know it was done that way. I always thought they would set a piece in a mold and steam it. Then apply bracing.

New found appreciation on that type of fabrication. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

@RABS, looks like the full complement of Gibson pickups is in stock again, with the same prices, which seem low after so much inflation everywhere in the past 12 months! 
Gibson - Pickup Shop

Cheers.. But $340 for a set of gold 57s is just way too much for me..  Not worth it.. I can find good pickups for way less than that. And you all know how much I like my Gibson pickups but the price has just gone way over the top for me now. No need for that at all.  And this guitar is not a Gibson so, doesnt need Gibson pickups.

I mean we are just talking about wraps of wire and a magnet or two..   Its not rocket science.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cheers.. But $340 for a set of gold 57s is just way too much for me..  Not worth it.. I can find good pickups for way less than that. And you all know how much I like my Gibson pickups but the price has just gone way over the top for me now. No need for that at all.  And this guitar is not a Gibson so, doesnt need Gibson pickups.

I mean we are just talking about wraps of wire and a magnet or two..   Its not rocket science.

There are plenty of quality pickups available. I've used Creamery and Bare Knuckle a couple of times.

Still no more work done..  Honestly my hands are still playing up.. Which is frustrating.. But its cool in the end. Theres no real timescale or reason to rush.. And the whole thing about me doing this is I have to watch my hands and make sure I dont completely ruin them (havent been able to play guitar either)..

BUT I have another couple of bits in.

Proper selector switch surround... The guys I got this from say they get it from the same supplier as Gibson,

O09IHYB.jpg

And then another piece of bespokeness. And yes I got a three hole one as it works better with the type of trussrod hole I have

owhkRVK.jpg

I reckon I will be back at it Sunday or Monday.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Rabs said:

Still no more work done..  Honestly my hands are still playing up.. Which is frustrating.. But its cool in the end. Theres no real timescale or reason to rush.. And the whole thing about me doing this is I have to watch my hands and make sure I dont completely ruin them (havent been able to play guitar either)..

BUT I have another couple of bits in.

Proper selector switch surround... The guys I got this from say they get it from the same supplier as Gibson,

O09IHYB.jpg

And then another piece of bespokeness. And yes I got a three hole one as it works better with the type of trussrod hole I have

owhkRVK.jpg

I reckon I will be back at it Sunday or Monday.

That's the biz. I spent ages looking for this sort of service. The options in UK are limited.

340927596_1013158866334058_4997957682223

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's the biz. I spent ages looking for this sort of service. The options in UK are limited.

Nice... Yeah, this didnt take long to find. It was on Ebay and seemed to be a key cutting type business... 

Ohh, I was going to ask actually..

I want to get a nice case for it when its done..  How does it fit in a standard LP case? Or would I be better of with a LP Junior type?

18 hours ago, Rabs said:

Nice... Yeah, this didnt take long to find. It was on Ebay and seemed to be a key cutting type business... 

Ohh, I was going to ask actually..

I want to get a nice case for it when its done..  How does it fit in a standard LP case? Or would I be better of with a LP Junior type?

Good question. The OHSC is specific to the model. Its shallower. In a full size case there would be movement. I'm sure a full size LP case can be modified. You might use your body template to make a foam insert. I find a sawing motion with a serrated knife works fine (breadknife). The last insert I made I just wrapped in microfiber cloth, but in your instance it might be better to remove the case lining. 

I'm not sure about a Junior case. Might have to try one and see.

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Good question. The OHSC is specific to the model. Its shallower. In a full size case there would be movement. I'm sure a full size LP case can be modified. You might use your body template to make a foam insert. I find a sawing motion with a serrated knife works fine (breadknife). The last insert I made I just wrapped in microfiber cloth, but in your instance it might be better to remove the case lining. 

I'm not sure about a Junior case. Might have to try one and see.

Yeah, it does look thinner but maybe even too thin as the Juniors dont have a carved top

T27acp1.jpg