Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar

Guitar God

So, I pulled the trigger on another one and it came in yesterday. It's a 2004 year model Ibanez Prestige RG 1570. Has the stock V8/S1/V7 pickups.  Super Wizard Prestige neck. Also has the Edge Pro tremolo. Personally, I like the Edge Pro better than a Floyd Rose.  Double locking, but you don't have to clip the ball end off of the strings when changing strings. Here's a picture:
xjdlznU.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You would think that Ibanez being a Japanese company would have used Japanese vowels (very similar to Spanish vowels) taught to them by the English. But no they went with American English Vowels which are all messed up and have too many variations. It’s like what they did with Toyota commercials.

Toyota (TOY - YOH - TUH) is actually pronounced  TOH - YOH - TAH

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:29 AM, Whitefang said:

They probably might have changed it to that because they were tired of detractors saying, "It's Toyota with a capital "TOY".  [cool]

Whitefang

Actually TOH - YOH- TAH is the correct Japanese pronunciation, TOY is an American bastardization.  

18 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Actually TOH - YOH- TAH is the correct Japanese pronunciation, TOY is an American bastardization.  

We do that a lot, don't we?

I, for one, don't want to pronounce Champagne or Montreal the way the French people do. No one here would understand me.

After visiting quite a few countries on this planet, others do the same thing with our words so it's fair play.

Notes ♫

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

We do that a lot, don't we?

Sure.  I get kinda tired hearing people saying they like "perogies"  and asking me(because I'm Polish) if I know how to make them.  I always say, "I've never HEARD of those.  What are they?"  And they tell me all about the filled dumplings filled with potato, potato and cheese or saurekraut.  Then I reply, "Oh.  They sound like what PIEROGI are."   [wink]  See.  "pierogi" is the plural.  One of the dumplings is a "pierog".   Two or more are "pierogi".   And sounds like "PEER-O(short form)-EE".  Not "PER".

Like my wife got tired of hearing "Whettos"(gringos) say "CAL-EE-EN-TEE"  and not the proper "CALL-YEN-TEH" (caliente).

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

And BTW Notes:

I had an Aunt and cousin who used to live in Montreal, so they filled me in on that years ago, and you're right.  Most people had no idea where I was talking about until I "anglicized" the pronunciation.  [wink]  And another cousin from New Orleans also filled me in on the "Nawlins" and "LOOZIANA" thing.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  I get kinda tired hearing people saying they like "perogies"  and asking me(because I'm Polish) if I know how to make them.  I always say, "I've never HEARD of those.  What are they?"  And they tell me all about the filled dumplings filled with potato, potato and cheese or saurekraut.  Then I reply, "Oh.  They sound like what PIEROGI are."   [wink]  See.  "pierogi" is the plural.  One of the dumplings is a "pierog".   Two or more are "pierogi".   And sounds like "PEER-O(short form)-EE".  Not "PER".

Like my wife got tired of hearing "Whettos"(gringos) say "CAL-EE-EN-TEE"  and not the proper "CALL-YEN-TEH" (caliente).

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

And BTW Notes:

I had an Aunt and cousin who used to live in Montreal, so they filled me in on that years ago, and you're right.  Most people had no idea where I was talking about until I "anglicized" the pronunciation.  [wink]  And another cousin from New Orleans also filled me in on the "Nawlins" and "LOOZIANA" thing.

Whitefang

I think I will start using the “EE - bahn - yez”   pronunciation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I think I will start using the “EE - bahn - yez”   pronunciation.

Sure.  New "call-up" third baseman for the Detroit Tigers is  Andy Ibanez.  And pronounced that way.  

Whitefang

I come from an Italian-American family, and I hear a variety of mispronunciations of Italian food loke MOT-sir-ELLA cheese. It doesn't bother me at all.

My neighbors from Indiana used to call the first meal of the day Brefkist. And we caught these little prawns and they called them srimp.

When Mrs. Notes and I took a trip to the UK, we drove around in a rented car for a month and then spend the last 4 days in London. We spend the evenings in the squares where there were buskers and artists before going out to explore the night life.

On the third day the guy at the hotel desk asked us if we went to Lester Square yet? We said we hadn't and he got out a map to show us where it was. He pointed to something called Leicester square, and we said, "Oh yes! We went there, heard the buskers, saw a guy carrying an alto sax case, started a conversation, and he got us into a private club as a friend of the band."

How the English ever got Lester out of Leicester is beyond me, but now I know how to pronounce it.

For me, there is no reason to get irritated when someone mispronounces something, or if they get pretentious and want to use the non-American publication. There are enough things to get irritated about in this life without looking for more.

I'm pretty much a live and let live guy.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I come from an Italian-American family, and I hear a variety of mispronunciations of Italian food loke MOT-sir-ELLA cheese. It doesn't bother me at all.

My neighbors from Indiana used to call the first meal of the day Brefkist. And we caught these little prawns and they called them srimp.

Ha!  There's a commercial on TV selling some kind of medicine that controls blood glucose,  and the African-american in the ad pronounced it "Brekfrust".   And I've heard a lot of folks say, "Breffist".    [wink]

Whitefang