Gibson Brands Forums

Hate Strap Locks?

Hall

As smart as they are, does anybody else just dislike the darn things. I don't modify my guitars. Over the years I have used everything from plastic bread tie snaps, washers and on to the new Planet products which seem to do the trick ok in so much as I don't do twenty foot knee slides or just let'er hang to one side. Is everyone else using them come h-ll or highwater no matter your style of play? =P~

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They work fine for me. I had a guitar slip off a strap once when I was a teen and I'll never play without strap locks again. Why do you dislike them? It really isn't a modification to your guitar, it's just unscrewing the buttons and screwing in the locks (I usually just use the original screw that were on the guitar) and can be easily undone in a minute.

Rich, I don't have good logical reason other than appearance sake and all the years of watching guys put screws on grinders, etc. I just never bothered to look into it for those reason and because my father made me these two simple hard rubber snap washers from his electric supplies that worked like gems all through high school. Both he and one of his inventions wore out finally years back and so I just tried other devices as mentioned in the years since. Your reply is the first time I haven't seen the words, grinding, tooth pics, glue and the like.

I hear those stories about toothpicks and such too but, in the years I've been haunting guitar message boards and groups, I've never heard of anyone actually doing anything like that and I suspect that they're either urban legends or from older days when parts were less standardized. I use Schaller strap locks on all my guitars (Gibsons, Fenders, Guild, Reverend, Ibanez) except one and have never had any problems or issues with screws. The companies who make strap locks wouldn't be selling very many of their products if customers had to jump through all sorts of hoops to use them.

I like strap locks because it's easy to take the strap off the guitar and I don't like storing straps on guitars. If you like washers, some guys use the rubber rings from Grolsh beer bottles or simply regular metal washers or something similar.

Rich, thanks and that is the brand I am looking toward a try just for the convenience factor you mentioned.

Mick, similar to the old hard rubber washers my Dad made me.

Mine go in the case when I'm not playing. Thus, the pending big move by the old boy.

Thanks, guys.

I've been using Schaller for years and have never had a problem. I do have a set of Dunlops on the strap I use with my SG Junior because the Schallers poke me in the gut since the strap attaches to the back of that guitar rather than the side.

What I like about the Shallers is that they seem like a more secure design. Even if the release mechanism were to fail, the strap pin is still cupped inside the the lock on the strap. With the Dunlops, it's just a pin inside of a tube where, if the release mechanism failed, the pin could slip out.

Schaller:

schalStrpLk.jpg

Dunlop:

dl_straplocks.jpg

With the Dunlops' date=' it's just a pin inside of a tube where, if the release mechanism failed, the pin could slip out.[/quote']

Yeah, but it's a pretty long pin inside the tube so it doesn't slip out easily (if you know what I mean). In fact they take some pulling to remove them even when the release is depressed. Also the pin is at a right angle so gravity is helping quite a bit. I agree about the basic physics of the Schaller being more sound, I just don't like the way they stick out so far. I avoided strap locks for years because of that. I've been using the Dunlops for awhile now though and am quite happy with them. Hopefully this won't end up being a VHS/Beta thing. It's good to have options.

I've been using Schaller for years and have never had a problem. I do have a set of Dunlops on the strap I use with my SG Junior because the Schallers poke me in the gut since the strap attaches to the back of that guitar rather than the side.

What I like about the Shallers is that they seem like a more secure design. Even if the release mechanism were to fail' date=' the strap pin is still cupped inside the the lock on the strap. With the Dunlops, it's just a pin inside of a tube where, if the release mechanism failed, the pin could slip out.

Schaller:

[img']http://melodymusiconline.com/images/schalStrpLk.jpg[/img]

Dunlop:

dl_straplocks.jpg

+1

I do this cuz I move around way to much on stage for anything less

100_8489-1.jpg

Man try using 50 cent coins... just drill a hole trhough them... they look nice (ok maybe they don't but I used to have them on a really heavy guitar and it worked fine, and people always asked about them... )

I have four of these' date=' they require no mods and never have I broke one or had my strap come off.

They are easy to put on and easy to take off.

All four cost me about $10 (Can.)

[img']http://www.totalmusicsupply.com/Images/Models/150/93290.jpg[/img]

93290.jpg

Tin Fish,

Those are what I use, and why I asked the question since they work fine. I'm just getting a bit lazy. Way more ideas on this one than I expected.

Hmm. I don't think this has ever been discussed here before.

Bobv:

[-X Don't go cynical on me now. It was also discussed on the old forum which Gibson completely deleted and, thus, I lost Raptor and Lous1952's ideas respectively, both of which I would have referred to had they still been present in the past posts. Since they are gone, I wanted to hear thoughts from the newer voices here. It would be good to hear your thoughts ...... should I say, again? I play a lot of 335's and don't wear 30/30ies any longer. I thought I might, and I did, hear some different up to date lingo. Hope that was ok.

Man try using 50 cent coins... just drill a hole trhough them... they look nice (ok maybe they don't but I used to have them on a really heavy guitar and it worked fine' date=' and people always asked about them... )[/quote']

.50 cents Too much. :-

Archived