Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Shaw - The Grand Illusion - Gibson J-185 12-String Acoustic - Strings Used

guycore

2 hours ago, guycore said:

Does anyone know which strings Tommy Shaw played on his Gibson J-185 12-String acoustic during The Grand Illusion sessions?

If you would have posted this in 2017 or 18 I could have asked him. I met him in Gruhn's by chance one day. He was totally cool, and talked to me and my buddy for about half an hour. He walked around with us and told us what guitars were way over priced. I'm the taller one who doesn't look like a girl with a goatee. The guy in the back works there. I saw Styx on The Paradise Theater Tour, and I saw Tommy open for Rush on their Hold Your Fire Tour.

ihJRIXn.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you would have posted this in 2017 or 18 I could have asked him. I met him in Gruhn's by chance one day. He was totally cool, and talked to me and my buddy for about half an hour. He walked around with us and told us what guitars were way over priced. I'm the taller one who doesn't look like a girl with a goatee. The guy in the back works there. I saw Styx on The Paradise Theater Tour, and I saw Tommy open for Rush on their Hold Your Fire Tour.

ihJRIXn.jpg

Good to hear that he was so approachable and not one of those "stars" who are so up themselves.

The great guitar player and songwriter Tommy Shaw from the band Styx. This is his Gibson 12 string in the shop for some set up work and for a second opinion on a few things.
No photo description available.

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

The great guitar player and songwriter Tommy Shaw from the band Styx. This is his Gibson 12 string in the shop for some set up work and for a second opinion on a few things.
No photo description available.

Not sure if it is just the angle of the photo, but that body looks tiny for that huge neck and a dozen strings.

Afraid I have never been much for Styx.  But this is the guy who I always think of when it comes to a Gibson J-185 12 string.  Granted though it is going to take Lawyers, Guns and Money to get hm into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Edited by zombywoof

13 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Only his guitar tech knows what strings he used.

Yeah, he is supposed to remember what brand and gauge stings he had (and may not have even installed by himself) on a guitar that he used to recorded an album that came out in 1977 (46 years ago) ?

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah, he is supposed to remember what brand and gauge stings he had (and may not have even installed by himself) on a guitar that he used to recorded an album that came out in 1977 (46 years ago) ?

Really.   I can't remember what I had for breakfast ...  some mornings -   if I even HAD breakfast.