Gibson Brands Forums

TAYLOR IS MAKING WATCHES?

18 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

My sentiments as well, I feel off balance without a watch on.

I work in a warehouse on a loading dock, if you're caught looking at your phone while operating a hi/lo , even just to check the time, you could be fired.

My work watch is a Casio.

I like some of the Casio analog watches. Seems like the ones I like are expensive.

Never cared for digital time on a watch.

"The glance" is quicker with analog and seems to "connect" with my brain better.

Young people probably don't have this issue.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:39 AM, Whitefang said:

I have a couple of not very expensive watches that keep good time.  Analog.  I also have a Jean D'Eve Sectora I used to wear when doing weddings.  Needs batteries(it takes two)  and a jeweler who knows how to change them in that model of watch.  And then I'll have to relearn how to read the time on the damn thing.  [wink]

jdevesectorawhitelther3_10.jpg

At my age I'll need a jeweler's loupe to see it clearly.  [biggrin]

Whitefang

Yeppers.  My son gave me one like that. A nice, plain, arabic numeral black and white Movado. Costs $70 to get a new battery - jewelers have to send it to "The Factory".    Sits in the drawer 99% of the time, but I have to wear it now and then, so  I have to keep it running.  Sort of like a Trojan Horse. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Murph said:

I like some of the Casio analog watches. Seems like the ones I like are expensive.

"The glance" is quicker with analog and seems to "connect" with my brain better.

Oh I like expensive watches too, I just don't own any 😆

Years ago when there used to be catalogs in the mail I remember seeing a watch inspired by Nicky Hayden Moto GP rider by citizen or Bulova. I remember it had a red face and was just really cool looking....but it cost $700.

And though I knew of him and was a fan of Moto GP, I just couldn't justify the price.

It's the same with the Taylor watches, I don't own a Taylor guitar nor do I plan to. The watches look cool, but can't justify the price.

So I'll keep my nondescript basic timekeepers and wait for an expensive one that I can justify the price of, like an old vintage something or other that I stumble across.

I was given a Rotary 'Winsor' watch by my late partner Jan some 18 years ago. The glass is described as 'sapphire glass' and scratch resistant. It really is. There is not a mark on it to this day. I bought another as a back up. Same glass & no marks at all. My 3rd watch I bought in Gibraltar is a Seiko (I pronounce this as 'psycho') some 9 years ago and the glass is scuffed up as you might expect. That sapphire glass is astonishing. 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:31 AM, Murph said:

The lingo used with analog time confuses them too.  When I first moved in with the woman who became my second wife, her 8 year old nephew was over and asked me the time.  I looked at my watch and told him, "It's a quarter after two."   He just stood there looking blank faced confused.  Then Alicia told me, "He doesn't understand that kind of time.  He's only used to digital clocks."   [blink]

But I recall when digital watches hit the market in the '70's.  The first one on the market cost $150.00 1970's dollars.  And required the wearer to press a tiny button on it's side to display the time(LED).   My brother in law back then shelled out that price for one.  Just a couple of weeks later(it seemed) the LCD watches came out at a fraction of the cost.  A guy my BIL worked with bought one at a K-Mart checkout for $9.95.  😄  Gary was not really too happy with himself then.

Whitefang

My wife bought me one of the early (Casio?) watches that had an alarm, because I was alway late picking her up.  Cut my lateness times in half !!!     She also bought me a "Clapper".  You attach it to your keys and clap your hands to find them.  Once the battery dies - they are more an annoyance than anything: a bracelet and a key fob!  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fortyearspickn said:

My wife bought me one of the early (Casio?) watches that had an alarm, because I was alway late picking her up.  Cut my lateness times in half !!!     She also bought me a "Clapper".  You attach it to your keys and clap your hands to find them.  Once the battery dies - they are more an annoyance than anything: a bracelet and a key fob!  

🤪  Don't tell me......

Every time you went around the house clapping your hands looking for your keys the lights kept going on and off!    😄

Whitefang