Gibson Brands Forums

Funny how old school gear can open the floodgates of fond memories

Sheepdog1969

An old friend stopped by this evening, and he came bearing gifts. He was at a thrift store and found this fully functional 1988 Yamaha DD-5. He said that the moment he saw it, he was reminded of the 1988 Yamaha DX-100 that I have. He dropped $20 on it, and gave it to me.  I love it!

4007.jpg

• Like 1

Yes stuff like that can be fun. I don't normally use a drummer for recording, so I study drummers at venues sometimes to inform my 'programming'. 

I recall my son aged about 6 played once with a drum machine. Within a minute he was ecstatic; jabbing the pads & shaking his a$$. 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Yes stuff like that can be fun. I don't normally use a drummer for recording, so I study drummers at venues sometimes to inform my 'programming'. 

I recall my son aged about 6 played once with a drum machine. Within a minute he was ecstatic; jabbing the pads & shaking his a$$. 

Since the DD-5 is MIDI compatible, I think it will serve as a MIDI assignable "strike pad", (which I can use drum sticks on, vs. my Alesis SR-16 which only has "finger pads"), allowing me to lay individual percussion pieces onto individual tracks with a more natural feel. The SR-16 tends to sound stiff and robotic, even after manipulating the strike/attack variations. (Every 8 bar loop, for example, will always sound exactly the same.) The SR-16 will serve as a great percussion starting point, and then the DD-5 will be used to re-lay any or all pieces of percussion in order to create a more natural feel. And yes, I have already ecstatically jabbed the pads and shook my bum!😁 

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Can it make that annoying descending "Boo"  sound that was way overused in the '70's Disco swill?

Whitefang

Like in 'Ring my Bell'? That came on the radio while my wife and I were driving around car shopping. I cranked it because I know she hates it.

• Haha 1

I still have (and use) my Yamaha PSR-400 polyphonic keyboard with MIDI, onboard speakers, multi-track recording, and layers of digital bass, rhythm, and harmonic 'accompaniment'.
I bought it brand new sometime around 1990, over in Germany.
Still works great.

🙂

9s75nstly7b71.jpg?width=4160&format=pjpg

• Like 1