Gibson Brands Forums

How Often Do You CHANGE Your STRINGS?

fortyearspickn

Another STRING Thread !  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Between String Changes ??

• Approximately a month ?
    • Three months?
    • Six months?
    • Nine Months ?
    • A year?
    • More than a year ?
  2. 2. Bonus Question:

• I use Extended Play strings
    • I use Regular Life strings

13 hours ago, Jinder said:

My workhorse guitars for pub/club/function gigs (two Takamines) get a fresh set of Ernie Ball Everlasts every four gigs. 

Brilliant minds work the same!

I always used 4 gigs max for acoustics as well. (see post above)

Interesting - 58% of us use  non-extended play strings and 60% keep  strings on for longer than 6 months - with half of those over a year.    So, it would seem a lot of us use regular strings and like the way they sound for quite a while.       

On 7/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Interesting - 58% of us use  non-extended play strings and 60% keep  strings on for longer than 6 months - with half of those over a year.    So, it would seem a lot of us use regular strings and like the way they sound for quite a while.       

We either get used to the gradual change in tone, or we like the flatter/mellower tone.

Or we're just getting lazy...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Murph said:

We either get used to the gradual change in tone, or we like the flatter/mellower tone.

Or we're just getting lazy...

I think that if we had a realistic recording of a given guitar with new strings on it, we could replay it and compare it to the sound of older strings on the same guitar.

That might provide a wake up call to put on new ones.

I'm in the camp of those who like the sound of new strings.

Sometimes it's every six months or so, but in general I change my strings every year whether they need it or not - though I realized at one point I never bothered to change them in 2019, and I think I went 18 months that time.  I have been using John Pearse pure nickel .012-.054 on my J-45 for nine years or so now, playing with bare fingers almost always.  My taste in how I want my guitar to sound has changed dramatically from 30 years ago, when I changed strings every couple of weeks and always wanted the hyper-jangly sound of new phosphor bronze being slammed 'round with a Dunlop tortex pick.

9 hours ago, olie said:

I think that if we had a realistic recording of a given guitar with new strings on it, we could replay it and compare it to the sound of older strings on the same guitar.

That might provide a wake up call to put on new ones.

I'm in the camp of those who like the sound of new strings.

I wonder ...   if you put on a set you liked, played it for, say, 6 months -   then you get a new set of the SAME STRINGS and leave three of old ones on and put three new ones on of the same gauge -  you would immediately be able to compare them.  For example, leave the G,B and E on the normal 3rd, 2nd and 1st string positions but put new G and B and E stings on the 4th, 5th and 6th strings positions.  Then you could compare one against the other.  I guess you don't need to do this if you've had several years of replacing old strings with new ones.   But it would be a quick and easy way to confirm what your audio memory thinks it remembers. 

35 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Check out the j-45 "Chatty Cathy" or the much older and rarer j-45 " Gabby Hayes" variants, which both have this feature.

RBSinTo

So. . . getting back the OP, how often do you change the string on the back of your J-45 CC ?