Gibson Brands Forums

How Often Do You CHANGE Your STRINGS?

fortyearspickn

Another STRING Thread !  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Between String Changes ??

• Approximately a month ?
    • Three months?
    • Six months?
    • Nine Months ?
    • A year?
    • More than a year ?
  2. 2. Bonus Question:

• I use Extended Play strings
    • I use Regular Life strings

On Acoustic Guitars,  assuming  'normal' amounts of play.   Somewhere between one or two hours a day.   And that you change when you feel you 'need' to,    Not experimenting, not putting it off due to other pressing matters - like surfing the web ! 

The D'addario XS's I've been using now for about a year and a half last about 2 to 3 months depending on how much I play. I used to get about 3 to 4 weeks out of non coated strings. I used to use Martin stings till I tried the XS's, but I have tried a ton of different brands.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If I was gigging clubs, or really anywhere 3/4 hour show, I'd change after 4 gigs max.

However, I'm not gigging much in the last 6 months or so, so I chose every 3 months. My J-45 has some Elixirs I had left over and they are at least 6 months on the guitar, but I usually take the J-15 to jam with the "old guys" once a week for 2 hours, so they don't have a ton of hours on them

My regular strings are GHS 80-20 in a 12 gauge.

I'm digging D'Addario XS strings now too.  They are pretty the gold standard for me.

I used to like Masterbuilts PBs   Found a few sets at the local store.  So I bought two packs. 

ya know what?   I released I didn't like them.   A bit of the dull side.

Perhaps it was because they were more or less "new old stock"   They LOOKED ok, no corrosion that I could see  but,, they did nothing for me   kept them on my j200 for about a bit, then just put a new set of XS on.   Wondering, do strings expire?  maybe?   They were sealed but who knows.

Time wise, I usually change them after 5 months, (I chose 6 cuz 5 wasn't an option)  but I bet I could get 6 months out of them

I gig about 2-4 times a week in the late Spring and Summer months.  And play at home every day for anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour.   My Martin Authentic Acoustic strings have surprisingly been lasting 6 months or more.  Although, I do switch off instruments every once in awhile.   

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

I have too many guitars, so none of them gets played nearly as much as when I only had one or two guitars.  That said, I probably could have picked 9 months for some of them.  I use either SCGC parabolic strings, which are treated somehow, or Martin Monels, which aren't treated buy will go six months without issue.

I pricked a year, but the answer is more nuanced. Should have been between 6 and 24 months.

Have many guits which explains a bit - so does the fact that I dig old steel.

Ouh, , , and I still boil strings to refresh them. Didn't do that for decades but re-introduced the trick. People should try it, , , fx before an acoustic kitchen jam. It's splendid.  

• Like 2

So my answer needs more explanation also. I picked one month for the two I play most often. Others could be more like 3 to 4 months. I don’t use coated on any, I keep trying to like them but it just doesn’t work for me. The D’Addarios have come closest so far.

As long as possible. If the guitar is still intonating correctly, the tuning stability is so much better on older strings. To a point.  But it depends on many things- summer or winter? If there's one guitar you can't keep your hands off of, it'll need a new set every couple of months. . Also- a guitar that is more quiet can benefit from newer strings, while the sharp/ loud ones, like the J-185, could use a little of the mellow nature of older strings.

I almost never change them. Unless I am in the mood for a different gauge. The Tele and the L-5 get changed a lot for that reason. Conversely, I have a 1958 Gretsch Anniversary that I bought in 2017, put 12-52 round D’Addarios on and they’re still there. My main classical has had the same strings since 2014. 

I have my father’s 1985 J-100 tucked away with the 1998 D’Addario PB still on it. 

Possibly because of my desire to avoid the spilling of blood which the B string in particular seems to demand during a string change, I put it off as long as I can.  Basically, I just wait until my ears tell me the guitar is begging to have it done which means any time before the strings have reached the point they will no longer intonate properly.  And I am not above paying the Lazy Man Tax to have the guy at the local store do it for me.  

While my wife will only use Santa Cruz strings on her 1960 Gibson J200 I have little string loyalty.   At the moment in deference to age and a light build my '42 J50 is strung with Newtone Heritage 12s while my '32 L1 sports GHS Thin Core 11s.  My 1920 L3 is wearing D'Addario NB 12s while I tend to like Cleartone EQ Hybrid 12s on my ladder braced Harmonys and such.  But if you look in my string box you will always find the innocuous D'Addario EJ 13s and locally wound SIT strings as well as smattering of offerings from John Pearce, Magnan, Pyramid and others.

• Thanks 1

I'm actually changing about every 6 weeks instead of 1 month using JP 12's and Dr Sunbeams 12's both PBs. When I catch myself starting to hit the strings harder for more sound or they start sounding a little muddy on my Gibson Bird. Another factor is when the low E is starting to really go off like a canon (mainly JP's) plugged in to the acoustic amp. I recently just put a new set of Gibson coated 12's  PB's on to give the old digits a break. First time I've tried the coated since they changed their strings a few years back cause my main go to were the masterbuilt. I'll see how long they'll go. I have Elixir 12's on an Epi Bird now (which normally I'd change about every 6 months with regular PBs on it).

Edited by the other side
Typo

No set time here.  When it feels right I suppose, or when I feel like some intimacy with one.   Not too intimate mind you..but they get that look, and it’s like puppy dog eyes, and you just can’t ignore it.

Strings I’m not as particular as some, I’ll go bronze, then phosphor bronze, Martin, D’Addarrio, Pearse, Mangan, they all sound good.  Only string I didn’t care for was the Santa Cruz low tension on a ‘37 00-17, I think they’re probably better suited to standard scale.

Would like to try some Martin Titanium, but I don’t think I’d spend 40 bucks on a set.

I use Martin SP (or whatever they call them now) PB 12.5s on all 3 of my acoustics. 

I chose 1 month because I change one of them every month, depends on which one gets more play time. 

I play in a church band 2-3 sundays a month so between rehearsal, practice at home, and services I estimate about 10 hrs of playing those weeks. But it’s spread between 2-3 guitars. I have a preference for newish strings I suppose. 

As i dont gig much these days i realised i now change strings on average six to nine months, maybe more on some.

But … as im doing a 3 hour gig today and have really worn Elixirs on the J-150 i thought it might be worth a change.

Wow, the tonal differnece is massive, especially on the bass, and when plugged in a gorgoeus light chorus shimmer is heard.

Old strings on a qulity guitar sound great, but new strings give great dynamics and value also.

10 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

But … as im doing a 3 hour gig today and, , , , 

Good to hear your still active now & then  after all.

Hope it went well. . . . 

• Like 1

Intentions are to change my strings about every 6 to 9 months.... When I get around to checking the date on the string pack in the case,  it's usually a year or more that's somehow lapsed. Time goes much faster as I get older, so reality means strings get changed after more than a year at my house.

Bonus question: I use different brands and types of strings but they're usually coated strings, except the Monels.

Edited by TomPhx

My workhorse guitars for pub/club/function gigs (two Takamines) get a fresh set of Ernie Ball Everlasts every four gigs. The guitars I use for my theatre/arts centre gigs (SJ200 and Dove) get restrung as and when they need it, but usually every two or three shows. Those usually get regular non-coated D’Addario or DRs. The others (Martin D18GE, ‘67 J45, Sigma CF100 copy) usually get a fresh set of whatever they like best around every 3-4 months, depending on what session work they’re needed for.

I can almost always get a month or more out of my non coated strings even on the guitars I play everyday. I have friend who when he comes over and plays the same guitars those strings are dead within a week. Pretty much every time. Chemistry matters.