Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone's Dog Gonna Hide Under The Bed Tonight

Sgt. Pepper

25 minutes ago, Retired said:

A couple years back I wanted to do a test on .45 acp HST ammo. I wanted to test the spread of the bullet. I filled a trash barrel full of water and let it sit. On the fourth, while everyone was shooting off fireworks, I went back to the motorhome by the garage and fired the round into the water. No one knew a thing.  I got the bullet out the bottom and the spread was almost one inch. So close it almost was an "  The bullet performed great.  Rob also wanted to hear how it spread, and I told him. 

Ammo Test: .45 ACP HST—Federal’s Flying Ashtray!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ammo-test-federal-premium-personal-defense-45-acp-hst-self-defense/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Yep. its one bullet I often carry.  My carry guns change. Actually I hardly carry anymore at 70 now. Just when I go downtown at night or in bad places. Also carry at the lake walking the dog. They have spotted Cougars there several times in the past. I may go S&W Performance Shield in .45 or .40.  FNS .40 S&W.  My favorite is FNX .45acp.  It shoots 15 rounds. I can conceal it ok.  But Winchester Ranger T .45 is great too, same ballistics.  My Kimber was my favorite gun till it broke. I could put 7 rounds in the bullseye at 35 feet. I often bought victim targets with a shooter behind the gal. I practiced shooting the guy in the head in the triangular shape, The brain stem shots. and got very good at it. 

When we had my sons dog while he was in the Navy,  He hated anything that went Bang or Pop and would run and hide under the bed. So I had a kids toy cap gun. Whenever he was naughty, all I had to say was, "SMOKEY, Do You Want Me to Shoot You In The Frickin Head?" He would take off running for the bed or to Debbie for protection. It was hilarious. She would say, "NOW WHAT DID YOU DO?" Actually loved that dog.  He was like my shadow, followed me everywhere. But he could be so naughty.  Anyway, a cap poping of the toy gun would send him off hiding. He knew he screwed up! 

Our old Lab Hated fireworks. Poor guy.  He was even afraid of the grandfather clock once we got it working again.   He seemed to make the others afraid of the fireworks.  Now he’s gone  and our new German Shepherd is unfazed by Anything. - so the others have calmed down.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Retired said:

When I went through that brain tumor cancer, (all what they did to me, as I was an experiment back then in the 70's, not expected to live.) My taste for salt was magnified. Still remember getting out of the hospital and going home. My wife made me chipped beef on toast. I took one bite and spit it out. I said, "What did you do?"  "Dump a whole container of Morton Salt on top?"  No way I could eat that, like licking the salt flats. Then my Chemotherapist told me he did that to me.  The chemo drugs I had were 7 of 8.  Still don't use salt to this day, They put plenty enough in foods. More than what you need. 

You mean the only thing Deb could think of to feed you when coming home from the hospital was **** on a shingle? [confused]

I don't have a magnified taste for salt, nor a diminished one. Just my hypertension limits my intake allowance.  That little tale of yours did remind me of something funny that my kid sister (now 58)  did when she was about four or five.  Seated next to me one early evening for dinner,  and she was still small enough that she would kneel on her chair in order to be high enough to eat dinner more comfortably.  On this particular dinnertime after Mom put everything on her plate(I forget all what it was, I only remember Mac'n'cheese was among it all) she picked up the salt shaker and proceeded to turn her dinner into a winter scene.  You could almost feel the brisk Winter breeze and could visualize children sledding down the mounds of heavily white covered macaroni.   When seeing it, Mom told Tina, "You're going to eat all of that you know."  And Tina said she knew it and she would, nodding her head up and down in a matter of fact manner.

Well, upon taking her first huge forkful  way over salted food,  her head jerked back as if she'd been punched,  her eyes seemed to grow to double their normal size,  And how she managed to get her glass of milk up to her face that fast and start gulping the milk down without spilling a drop  still puzzles me.   I gave my Mom credit because I knew that pained look on her face wasn't because she could see her darling daughter was suffering, but probably due to her straining to hold back the huge laugh that I was allowed to get away with.  [biggrin]  Well, Mom gave Tina enough time to settle down and got her a new plate.  And kept the salt shaker out of reach.  Tina's birthday is coming up in four days, so I think I'll go to her place and remind her of all that.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Retired said:

Yep. its one bullet I often carry. 

Not up on ammo or firearms for that matter. But those rounds look a lot like what I have in my Ruger model 2 .357. Which I'm afraid to fire cause it might break my hand.

Edited by CROWB8

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

You mean the only thing Deb could think of to feed you when coming home from the hospital was **** on a shingle? [confused]

I don't have a magnified taste for salt, nor a diminished one. Just my hypertension limits my intake allowance.  That little tale of yours did remind me of something funny that my kid sister (now 58)  did when she was about four or five.  Seated next to me one early evening for dinner,  and she was still small enough that she would kneel on her chair in order to be high enough to eat dinner more comfortably.  On this particular dinnertime after Mom put everything on her plate(I forget all what it was, I only remember Mac'n'cheese was among it all) she picked up the salt shaker and proceeded to turn her dinner into a winter scene.  You could almost feel the brisk Winter breeze and could visualize children sledding down the mounds of heavily white covered macaroni.   When seeing it, Mom told Tina, "You're going to eat all of that you know."  And Tina said she knew it and she would, nodding her head up and down in a matter of fact manner.

Well, upon taking her first huge forkful  way over salted food,  her head jerked back as if she'd been punched,  her eyes seemed to grow to double their normal size,  And how she managed to get her glass of milk up to her face that fast and start gulping the milk down without spilling a drop  still puzzles me.   I gave my Mom credit because I knew that pained look on her face wasn't because she could see her darling daughter was suffering, but probably due to her straining to hold back the huge laugh that I was allowed to get away with.  [biggrin]  Well, Mom gave Tina enough time to settle down and got her a new plate.  And kept the salt shaker out of reach.  Tina's birthday is coming up in four days, so I think I'll go to her place and remind her of all that.  [wink]

Whitefang

That is hilarious.  I had a friend that worked at BNSF. I couldn't believe how much salt he put on everything. Salted the heck out of bananas and nothing entered his mouth without getting a royal coat of salt. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Yes, and actually, when I got home, I threw up from the chemo they just gave me. Anything Beef, I puked up. Amazing that I could eat a Taco Bell taco in the hospital. For a month, I was lying in bed everyday watching TV. You know how many Taco Bell Commercials they flood the TV with every day? Made me HUNGRY for a Taco. For some reason, I never puked it up. So I said, Tacos was cancer surviver food Lol. I had my mom smuggle in some for me. Another thing,I wasn't allowed any thing in my mouth during Chemo drugs. But one chemo they gave me tasted like a skunk crapped in my mouth. I refused to swallow. I spit in a bowl every time so not to swallow. my mouth was so dry, Life Savors was the answer.  Shu! don't tell them. I had them smuggled in also. Anyway, that worked till they knocked me out. Around Noon they would tell me Good Night and hook up a Chemo bag to me the rest of the day and all night. then I was allowed to go home around noon the next day. Those were every time I had a session. a day and a half after I was released. 

6 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Not up on ammo or firearms for that matter. But those rounds look a lot like what I have in my Ruger model 2 .357. Which I'm afraid to fire cause it might break my hand.

That's one caliber I don't have. You can shoot a .357. I've shot, .40 S&W, .41 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .454 Casual, .450 Marlin, (yes these are all handguns,)  Winchester .45/70,  S&W .500 magnum. (Thats just to name a few.) I've had around 90 Handguns, Shot Guns, Rifles, Derringers. ext. I will tell you what is tough to shoot, Those small derringers. I had one that was Magnum and it BITES. Talk about a wrist snapper. It was just a small caliber magnum. Had a .38 caliber Derringer also and a .45 Bond Arms derringer. Still have that one. Shoots .45 Colt and .410 3"shells. The .454 casual is a recoil monster also. A lot of people never wanted to pull the trigger a second time on my S&W .500 magnum. I was told that caliber did in fact break a guys wrist once. It did blow a guys thumb off also. He was too close to the wall. The gasses blew his thumb clear off.  Still have that gun. Lots of guys say it feels like a hand grenade going off in your hand.  It was my favorite handgun. I shot over 500 rounds with it. 

I'm not one to get into ballistics but I did do a little experiment last winter. I had boxes and boxes of magazines that were to go to recycling.  They were in boxes that, when stood up, were about 5" or 6" thick. Actually I think they were old USPS priority mail boxes. I placed 4 or 5 against each other. I fired a 12 gauge magnum slug at the boxes at close range, 20-30 feet. It didn't even make it all the way through the first box. I then fired a Mosin Nagant 91/30 (old Russian army rifle). It went through the first two boxes and into the third. There was a LOT of confetti and the bullet looked like scrap at the base of a drill press. It really, really made a mess of those magazines. 

No surprise the Russian round did what it did, I'm just not impressed with the 12 gauge slug. I thought it would be more devastating than that.

Crowb8, no worries. It's not going to bite hard. My father told me of the time when the 357 magnum first came out, a friend loaded one up with 4 regular 38 Specials and a couple magnums and handed it to Dad. He was quite surprised at the difference and he knew it immediately when the hammer dropped on a magnum.

I was a little spooked when I first fired a 1972 three screw Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag I bought. I thought it was going to be a cannon. It had a 7-1/2" barrel so that tamed it a bit. My first shot went into the ground because I was anticipating the recoil. The second shot hit it's mark. I foolishly sold that gun. Money talks, ya know?

As to people losing thumbs and whatnot, I've been a little foolhardy in years past with old guns. No injuries but I think it was luck. I've got a couple old S&W 38s, one a 1906 38 Special, and a 38 S&W from the 1890s I think, plus a couple old 12 gauge shotguns I may get rid of. Maybe more, I don't know. I'm not brave with modern ammo and old guns like I once was. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

It's not going to bite hard

Uh huh. It's a hand cannon! I have osteoporosis. It's a big heavy gun. I figure if the sight of it doesn't quell a situation, I can throw it at 'em. 🙃

I have a 12 gauge and a pre-ban .380 Bersa for home defense. And the Ruger. No kids so.......

Edited by CROWB8

13 hours ago, Retired said:

Yes, and actually, when I got home, I threw up from the chemo they just gave me. Anything Beef, I puked up. Amazing that I could eat a Taco Bell taco in the hospital. For a month, I was lying in bed everyday watching TV. You know how many Taco Bell Commercials they flood the TV with every day? Made me HUNGRY for a Taco. For some reason, I never puked it up. So I said, Tacos was cancer surviver food Lol. I had my mom smuggle in some for me. Another thing,I wasn't allowed any thing in my mouth during Chemo drugs. But one chemo they gave me tasted like a skunk crapped in my mouth. I refused to swallow. I spit in a bowl every time so not to swallow. my mouth was so dry, Life Savors was the answer.  Shu! don't tell them. I had them smuggled in also. Anyway, that worked till they knocked me out. Around Noon they would tell me Good Night and hook up a Chemo bag to me the rest of the day and all night. then I was allowed to go home around noon the next day. Those were every time I had a session. a day and a half after I was released. 

That sounds rough.  I remember when my Mom was going through chemo.  I told her it was too bad this didn't happen 15 years earlier. I could have given her all the pot she could use.She smiled and said, "Thanks, but no thanks.  I've kinda been enjoying the weight loss."  🙂

Whitefang 

On 7/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, Whitefang said:

That sounds rough.  I remember when my Mom was going through chemo.  I told her it was too bad this didn't happen 15 years earlier. I could have given her all the pot she could use.She smiled and said, "Thanks, but no thanks.  I've kinda been enjoying the weight loss."  🙂

Whitefang 

I was a guinea pig at the time so they hit me with everything they had. They thought I was going to die anyway. I was sent to Clarkson where they took 2 cups of bone marrow from each hip and stored in case I needed it. I remember waking up and my wife was there. I told her I needed to pee. She got a nurse. I said, I don't need a nurse, They did surgery on my hips, not my legs! I got out of be, tried to stand and fell straight down. LOl. It felt like I had a Ton of Bricks were on my shoulders. 

Yeah, I lost a ton of weight too going through that. Started off, 260 pounds, built like Lou Ferrigno and got out of the hospital a month later weighing 180 pounds. Yep, used to tell people who wanted to lose weight that Chemo & Radiation treatments were their answer to weight loss. Haha. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The joke went right over your head.

Easy to do lately. Haven't been doin so well Sgt. Not much sleep for a month now. Down to 127lbs. I'll get it sorted out, but past week is kind of a fog.

36 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Easy to do lately. Haven't been doin so well Sgt. Not much sleep for a month now. Down to 127lbs. I'll get it sorted out, but past week is kind of a fog.

Damn you okay? Doctor know what’s wrong?

Crow -   Sorry,  I was pushing too far, I suppose.  On a guitar forum, when you hear the term 'BAN' it usually refers to Rosewood or Ivory.   And 'clip' is the word people mistakingly use instead of 'magazine'.    As Sgt.Pepper implied -  you should get to your doctor.  Probably an easy fix. G'Luck. 

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn you okay? Doctor know what’s wrong?

Getting old. Working on blood issues. Stage 4 kidney disease. But hey, who's counting. 🙃

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Crow -   Sorry,  I was pushing too far, I suppose.  On a guitar forum, when you hear the term 'BAN' it usually refers to Rosewood or Ivory.   And 'clip' is the word people mistakingly use instead of 'magazine'.    As Sgt.Pepper implied -  you should get to your doctor.  Probably an easy fix. G'Luck. 

"was pushing too far, I suppose"

Don't even frickin go there dude. You're fine. I'm a jokester/prankster from the get go. I'm aware of the ban stuff. Ebony issues in the past as well.

---

Was givin a shelf life a while ago. Made liars out of them. Anyone takin it easy on me is gonna make me come through the board and thump 'em.

-----

Now where were we...... oh yea,

Good one fortyearspickn. Got me. I be sloooow. Arg....🙃

Edited by CROWB8
  • Upvote 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:46 PM, Retired said:

That's one caliber I don't have. You can shoot a .357. I've shot, .40 S&W, .41 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .454 Casual, .450 Marlin, (yes these are all handguns,)  Winchester .45/70,  S&W .500 magnum. (Thats just to name a few.) I've had around 90 Handguns, Shot Guns, Rifles, Derringers. ext. I will tell you what is tough to shoot, Those small derringers. I had one that was Magnum and it BITES. Talk about a wrist snapper. It was just a small caliber magnum. Had a .38 caliber Derringer also and a .45 Bond Arms derringer. Still have that one. Shoots .45 Colt and .410 3"shells. The .454 casual is a recoil monster also. A lot of people never wanted to pull the trigger a second time on my S&W .500 magnum. I was told that caliber did in fact break a guys wrist once. It did blow a guys thumb off also. He was too close to the wall. The gasses blew his thumb clear off.  Still have that gun. Lots of guys say it feels like a hand grenade going off in your hand.  It was my favorite handgun. I shot over 500 rounds with it. 

I think I'm gonna have you beat here in a few days. I just ordered this https://www.bugasalt.com/products/shred-er-starter-kit

I have the rifle in classic yellow. But since skeeter and fly season is in full bloom here in Ken#ucky, I thought I'd bolster my defenses. Might even opt for the lazer sighting. 🙃

21 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

I think I'm gonna have you beat here in a few days. I just ordered this https://www.bugasalt.com/products/shred-er-starter-kit

I have the rifle in classic yellow. But since skeeter and fly season is in full bloom here in Ken#ucky, I thought I'd bolster my defenses. Might even opt for the lazer sighting. 🙃

$125.00 for a toy?  I just tell our dog,  get the fly. He goes after any he sees and then spits them out.  They must taste awful.  

On 7/7/2023 at 9:05 AM, CROWB8 said:

Uh huh. It's a hand cannon! I have osteoporosis. It's a big heavy gun. I figure if the sight of it doesn't quell a situation, I can throw it at 'em. 🙃

I have a 12 gauge and a pre-ban .380 Bersa for home defense. And the Ruger. No kids so.......

Don't know if I should tell you this but: (Rob knows it.) Way back, I traded in a nice gun for a used Ruger Black Hawk. It was a .41 Magnum. The previous owner made a hair trigger on it which I wasn't told. We were up at our farm in S.D. target shooting. It seemed about every 30 or so shots, when the hammer was cocked, the trigger would release on its own. I found out that day down by the water hole. My son asked me a question and I already had the hammer cocked back and not thinking, I should have released it but just pointed the gun towards the ground and away from us. Must have talked with my hand?  Anyway I made sure my finger wasn't even in the trigger Guard and the gun went off.  The bullet went through my knee and out my upper calf. At the hospital, I was told I shouldn't be alive. The main artery was there and the magnum round bruised it but should have severed it and bled out. I was shown the X-rays and the path of the bullet should have went through it but deflected somehow and doctors couldn't explain how that happened. It took over 45 minutes or better to get to the emergency in Mitchel. That .41 Mag is very powerful, It picked me up off my feet and knocked me on my butt. I was shooting hot deer loads. 

• Sad 1