Gibson Brands Forums

A giant fell away today

E-minor7

In honour of the grand Mister Robbie Robertson. 

First he plugged Dylan in - then with that same Band dug down and found the roots, , , , , in the middle of psychedelia. Colossal achievements both of them. 

~ P E A C E ~

• Like 3

I saw him with the Band when they toured with Dylan during Dylan’s first night of Dylan’s return to touring after his reclusive period after his mortar cycle accident.  That was in Chicago in January 1974.  It eventually led to Dylan and the Band’s Down in the Flood album.  The first night was organized differently than the album.  Dylan sang a couple of songs and then the Band sang a couple of songs (or vise versa).  Dylan played along with the Band songs and the Band played along with Dylan on his songs except for a couple of Dylan solo songs. The trade off between the Band and Dylan lasted throughout the concert.   The energy was phenomenal.  

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

16 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

I saw him with the Band when they toured with Dylan during Dylan’s first night of Dylan’s return to touring after his reclusive period after his mortar cycle accident.  That was in Chicago in January 1974.  It eventually led to Dylan and the Band’s Down in the Flood album.  The first night was organized differently than the album.  Dylan sang a couple of songs and then the Band sang a couple of songs (or vise versa).  Dylan played along with the Band songs and the Band played along with Dylan on his songs except for a couple of Dylan solo songs. The trade off between the Band and Dylan lasted throughout the concert.   The energy was phenomenal.  

Ooohh, , , thanx for that eyewitness account. Lucky you. Before The Flood stands here and was played a lot in my younger days. And yes, the raw energy is remarkable.                                                                                                     Especially remember Like a Rolling Stone as a roaring high. Garth H brings the organ to its final conclusion on that one.  

The closest I ever came to The Band was hearing Rick Danko & Paul Butterfield in Lone Star Cafe Manhattan in the fall of 84.

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

In honour of the grand Mister Robbie Robertson. 

First he plugged Dylan in - then with that same Band dug down and found the roots, , , , , in the middle of psychedelia. Colossal achievements both of them. 

~ P E A C E ~

Great song, great Band, Great concert film.

Crazy how a bunch of Canadians hooked up with a drummer from Arkansas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Great song, great Band, Great concert film.

Crazy how a bunch of Canadians hooked up with a drummer from Arkansas.

.... and helped to define what came to be called modern Americana. Beloved by the Beatles, and even moved Eric Clapton to ask to join The Band.

5 hours ago, olie said:

.... and helped to define what came to be called modern Americana. Beloved by the Beatles, and even moved Eric Clapton to ask to join The Band.

I remember in the documentary I saw about The Band, Levon said by the 3rd album they were really done. He said everything after that was just them going through the motions.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

His autobiography "Testimony" was a  great read, also "Once Were Brothers" a fine 2019 film.

Very well written article here

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/robbie-robertson-dead-the-band-1235692172/

I've been a fan since I was a boy in the 60s.  Also good to note that none of the haters on this board have spewed needless bile...yet.

That is sad news indeed. We are losing the legends at a far too fast a rate, and unfortunately new ones are not being created in the same way in these modern times. Music and culture are divided into smaller and smaller subsegments, and we each hang out only in our own little familiar digital bubble, not being aware of what goes on outside of it. 

Great music and great Band.

Lars

• Like 1

This guy made some great, great music.  The first time I heard him would have been on the Basement Tapes which I had bought as a boot as Dylan would not get around to releasing the LP until years down the road.

Admittedly though I thought Dylan was at his best when backed by the Butterfield Blues Band at Newport and when he brought Bloomfield and Al Kooper into the studio.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

That is sad news indeed. We are losing the legends at a far too fast a rate, and unfortunately new ones are not being created in the same way in these modern times. Music and culture are divided into smaller and smaller subsegments, and we each hang out only in our own little familiar digital bubble, not being aware of what goes on outside of it. 

Great music and great Band.

Lars

That's just the way it is. I'm sure my parents  did not considered  the groups and people I listened to, to be legends. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

One of my fondest musical memories was the first time I heard The Weight 

Siting in my bed room ( 1968 ) in a suburb of Washington DC  listing to am radio from Boston WBZ  that I could pick up at night.

Bought the album  Music From Big Pink as soon as I could

57 minutes ago, philfish said:

One of my fondest musical memories was the first time I heard The Weight 

Siting in my bed room ( 1968 ) in a suburb of Washington DC  listing to am radio from Boston WBZ  that I could pick up at night.

Bought the album  Music From Big Pink as soon as I could

Not so long ago I visited my local butcher-shop and the customer before me turned around and said :                                                                                                                                                                                      If you know what you want, you can move first. My order is long and complicated, will take time. I thanked, but passed and just went for a walk.                                                                           Then passed a strange little boutique that I never saw before. Stepped in because they had 3 boxes with LPs on the floor under primarily female dresses.                                                                         There I found the original gatefold version of the second brown album. In very good condition, so bought it on the spot (only have a late70s non-gatefold copy).                                When coming home I saw on the web that mister Robertson had birthday - turning 80 within the same 24 hour date-difference between the 2 sides of the Atlantic ocean.                                        Next one on the list will be Big Pink. That too only stands in non g-fold sleeve here. I'm sure you have the real thing.

Edited by E-minor7

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Not so long ago I visited my local butcher-shop and the customer before me turned around and said :                                                                                                                                                                                      If you know what you want, you can move first. My order is long and complicated, will take time. I thanked, but passed and just went for a walk.                                                                           Then passed a strange little boutique that I never saw before. Stepped in because they had 3 boxes with LPs on the floor under primarily female dresses.                                                                         There I found the original gatefold version of the second brown album. In very good condition, so bought it on the spot (only have a late70s non-gatefold copy).                                When coming home I saw on the web that mister Robertson had birthday - turning 80 within the same 24 hour date-difference between the 2 sides of the Atlantic ocean.                                        Next one on the list will be Big Pink. That too only stands in non g-fold sleeve here. I'm sure you have the real thing.

I have a Japanese cd of Pink, Mobile Fidelity SACD of the brown second one, and my original vinyl of Stage Freight. And the DVD of Waltz. Never got into it or liked Basement Tapes.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

R  allways seemed so enamored of life and music in interviews,   he was 15 years old playing gigs  in and around Toronto with Ronnie and Levon,  wow - I saw the band  in Toronto  in 74 or 75 when they  opened for CSNY  and  got they got 4 encores  outside on a summer nite    amazing  ( so were CSNY )  thanks for all of it Robbie....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jvi said:

R  allways seemed so enamored of life and music in interviews,   he was 15 years old playing gigs  in and around Toronto with Ronnie and Levon,  wow - I saw the band  in Toronto  in 74 or 75 when they  opened for CSNY  and  got they got 4 encores  outside on a summer nite    amazing  ( so were CSNY )  thanks for all of it Robbie....

Must have been magical evening - was Mitchell there ?

Or some forth or fifth act. . . 

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Must have been magical evening - was Mitchell there ?

Or some forth or fifth act. . . 

Magical it was  and if M is Joni, sadly not on stage. I gotta say late 60s early 70s in and around TO the music was amazing, Massey Hall. Maple Leaf Gardens, the universitys and parks - and Buffalo was close as well  - and we were still  civil enough to benefit from general admission which for me usually meant "right up there " ,   all I had to do was come up with 6 to 12 bucks for tickets and another 5 for weed... those of us who saw the greats in that period  were  so lucky.