Gibson Brands Forums

How About "The Thrill Is Gone" But On An Acoustic Guitar?

DanvillRob

Good job on a difficult song.

I thought your tempo was a bit fast so I went into the settings on YouTube and changed the playback to .75 (I think .8 would be better, but it was not an option)

That really nailed it for me. Made it "Bluesy", even the vocals.

Try it!

Edit-

I got off my phone and on the laptop. YouTube does have a custom setting for playback. I set it to .8 and it sounded great!

Edited by Dave F

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

Good job on a difficult song.

I thought your tempo was a bit fast so I went into the settings on YouTube and changed the playback to .75 (I think .8 would be better, but it was not an option)

That really nailed it for me. Made it "Bluesy", even the vocals.

Try it!

Edit-

I got off my phone and on the laptop. YouTube does have a custom setting for playback. I set it to .8 and it sounded great!

I’d like to learn about the custom playback setting.

I sped it up because playing alone left too much “dead space” ( plus I tend to play everything a little fast).   

What I do is arrange everything as a fingerpicking piece.  While I have never attempted to get a handle on B.B. King, I will on occasion break out versions of "Smokestack Lighting", "Rock Me Baby", and a few others.  But if you think about it, B.B. always claimed he developed his vibrato when he found he was unable to deal with Bukka White's slide.  So, I would think the way to attack that tune on an acoustic would be to add a bass line and go at the melody with a bottleneck.  

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I’d like to learn about the custom playback setting.

I sped it up because playing alone left too much “dead space” ( plus I tend to play everything a little fast).   

Open the video in YouTube

Select Settings

Select Playback Speed

Select Custom

A slide Bar will appear

Slide it to where you want to run. I did .8 for your video.

yt1yt2yt3yt4yt5

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Open the video in YouTube

Select Settings

Select Playback Speed

Select Custom

A slide Bar will appear

Slide it to where you want to run. I did .8 for your video.

yt1yt2yt3yt4yt5

Thanks, old friend...... I've often wanted to slow things down or speed them up....but was limited to  .50 or .75 slow/fast only!

19 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

My best friend and I started playing guitars together at 12 years old in '64. We're still best friends and still get together and play, just not as often.

We had a band but never played out because he was too shy. In my later teens, I joined his older brother's band and started playing out in the bars for a few years.

When we were in our mid 40's, he decided he wanted to start playing out. He came to me to get advice and to learn some songs. 

My advice was to stay out of the bars, which he did. Working with him for solo work had two obstacles. He wanted to speed through everything and could not play a 3/4 time.

We got through it, and he played around town for quite a few years. Whenever he had a large venue, he would get me or one of his brothers to join him.

• Haha 1