Gibson Brands Forums

NuGD: 2021 Gibson Dove Vintage Cherry Sunburst

thegreatgumbino

Congrats on your new addition. It's a beauty. Gotta love a Dove. My 2020 Love Dove quickly became one of my top 2 favorites. It's a joy to play. I've been using 80/20's on it mostly. John Pearce, DR Sunbeams and one set of Thomastick-Infield Spectrums that were gifted to me.

Laptop speakers did not cut it on your videos, so I used my headphones. I don't have an experienced ear for D-tuning to draw from, but each of those guitars has some fantastic depth of sound that came through very nicely. Kudos!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Congrats on your new addition. It's a beauty. Gotta love a Dove. My 2020 Love Dove quickly became one of my top 2 favorites. It's a joy to play. I've been using 80/20's on it mostly. John Pearce, DR Sunbeams and one set of Thomastick-Infield Spectrums that were gifted to me.

Laptop speakers did not cut it on your videos, so I used my headphones. I don't have an experienced ear for D-tuning to draw from, but each of those guitars has some fantastic depth of sound that came through very nicely. Kudos!!!

Iā€™ve been enamored with the Dove since Ā you posted about your Love Dove. Ā Iā€™ve never been lucky enough to come across one personally. Ā 

Iā€™ve never played a J200 with a torrefied top either. Ā Kinda scared too since my J200 standard sounds so good. Ā I donā€™t want to get the bug to want something different.

Itā€™s interesting how long it took the strings to settle in on this Dove. Ā It finally lost the zing and brashness yesterday, thankfully. Ā Ā 

Finally got laid back enough to lean forward into this impressing A-B-C-D. Tried to imagine bein' a newbie with no real knowledge of and 1 to 1 experience with these guitars. And must say they all blew my hair back, , , though the cans did their best to keep things in place.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā I have a very soft spot for recorded Doves - it was not hardened here. And I think it's quite mesmerizing to realize how close yet different the Dove and the Hummingbird are. In real life as in this context, which shows exactly that doubleness with impressing precision.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Researchers can take a lot out of these films. They are a starters guide and the veterans confirmation.Ā Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

The Dove is richer than the Bird, , , more modest than the Jumbo. If Kalamazoo had an ambition to invent the sweet spot between those 2, it's fair to say they nailed it.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā To my ears the J-45 comes rolling in a path of its own. Yes, you hear the Gibson-dna, but the old slope shape simply adds a raw more earthy flavour, , , which at the same time offers mellowness. It's not the first time I claim the 45 is a rough creature with a gentle poetic soul, where the H-bird is a light, elegant and graceful flyer with a mean snappy bite under its wing.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  The 200 doesn't care for those terms - it holds other ambitions which have to do with rising above. And yes it IS huge and very convincing, , , the intriguing thing however, is that it meets the Dove up there every time. The Dove that never touches down. Ever seen one with muddy claws - NO ! cause it just never landed such places. The 45 did, , , , when it elegantly jumped from the farm fence. But it didn't seem to bother much. "I go where the others won't come, , , and can't", it stated so very self aware. Ha, giggled the Hummingbird chasing a butterfly over the grass while the Jumbo blew too loud a trunk to notice. But the Dove, , , , the Dove flew in its secret sphere thinking -Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā "Let them hum and do their things, I'll do mine. People who want what I got will find me in time, , , , and space. . . "

Ā 

Apart from that I still think the J-200 is the most neutral of the 4. I'm somehow unable to get a grasp. Always remembered the look so vividly, but not the voice. .Ā Ā 

And sure, the Dove can drip too much rancid sirup and fade greasy-dead.

Btw. was it a 23 years old Young tune there in the middle of the first half.Ā 

And let's not overlook they all were tuned 1 step down.Ā 

Ā 

Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, E-minor7 said:

Finally got laid back enough to lean forward into this impressing A-B-C-D. Tried to imagine bein' a newbie with no real knowledge of and 1 to 1 experience with these guitars. And must say they all blew my hair back, , , though the cans did their best to keep things in place.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā I have a very soft spot for recorded Doves - it was not hardened here. And I think it's quite mesmerizing to realize how close yet different the Dove and the Hummingbird are. In real life as in this context, which shows exactly that doubleness with impressing precision.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Researchers can take a lot out of these films. They are a starters guide and the veterans confirmation.Ā Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

The Dove is richer than the Bird, , , more modest than the Jumbo. If Kalamazoo had an ambition to invent the sweet spot between those 2, it's fair to say they nailed it.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā To my ears the J-45 comes rolling in a path of its own. Yes, you hear the Gibson-dna, but the old slope shape simply adds a raw more earthy flavour, , , which at the same time offers mellowness. It's not the first time I claim the 45 is a rough creature with a gentle poetic soul, where the H-bird is a light, elegant and graceful flyer with a mean snappy bite under its wing.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  The 200 doesn't care for those terms - it holds other ambitions which have to do with rising above. And yes it IS huge and very convincing, , , the intriguing thing however, is that it meets the Dove up there every time. The Dove that never touches down. Ever seen one with muddy claws - NO ! cause it just never landed such places. The 45 did, , , , when it elegantly jumped from the farm fence. But it didn't seem to bother much. "I go where the others won't come, , , and can't", it stated so very self aware. Ha, giggled the Hummingbird chasing a butterfly over the grass while the Jumbo blew too loud a trunk to notice. But the Dove, , , , the Dove flew in its secret sphere thinking -Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā "Let them hum and do their things, I'll do mine. People who want what I got will find me in time, , , , and space. . . "

Ā 

Apart from that I still think the J-200 is the most neutral of the 4. I'm somehow unable to get a grasp. Always remembered the look so vividly, but not the voice. .Ā Ā 

And sure, the Dove can drip too much rancid sirup and fade greasy-dead.

Btw. was it a 23 years old Young tune there in the middle of the first half.Ā 

And let's not overlook they all were tuned 1 step down.Ā 

Ā 

Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That was a fun read! Ā 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 7:48 AM, thegreatgumbino said:

Iā€™ve been enamored with the Dove since Ā you posted about your Love Dove. Ā Iā€™ve never been lucky enough to come across one personally. Ā 

Iā€™ve never played a J200 with a torrefied top either. Ā Kinda scared too since my J200 standard sounds so good. Ā I donā€™t want to get the bug to want something different.

Itā€™s interesting how long it took the strings to settle in on this Dove. Ā It finally lost the zing and brashness yesterday, thankfully. Ā Ā 

I'm not sure what got me going on the Dove to begin with. Probably a demo posted here. The demo videos for the Love Dove finished me off. There was a large Dove thread a while back where Jinder wrote of it's studio worthiness complete with room for vocals. I think he released a CD with most or all of the songs on it used the Dove to some extent. Sure enough, it's right as rain in the studio.Ā 

I got to thinking about the strings after what I wrote earlier in the thread. I think I will splurge and keep a set of the Thomastick-Infield Spectrums on my Dove. I know it's $30 twice a year, but it spent 7 months in a sweet spot that is almost indescribable. I'm afraid to try them on others for fear of the same. Too expensive.

• Like 2