Gibson Brands Forums

NuGD: 2021 Gibson Dove Vintage Cherry Sunburst

thegreatgumbino

I stopped into Fuller's last Friday on my way home from a doctor appointment.  I haven't been in almost 6 months.   Got to play several nice Gibsons, including a custom 40's J45 Mike had made with a baseball bat neck.  They have several Murphy Lab guitars on the wall that looked great.  Nothing that caught me off guard until I found this mint used 2021 Dove in the Martin room and fell in love at first strum.  Came home and couldn't stop thinking about it over the weekend.  Went back today thinking I had overplayed the sound, but alas it was better than I remembered, so I brought it home with me today.   

I've not had a lot of experience with Doves.  I've probably played one or two at Fuller's over the last 10 years.  This thing is a canon.  Thunderous is the word that keeps coming to mind.   It vibrates like crazy and has sustain for days.

ZniGbVD.jpgMrre8Rn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, thegreatgumbino said:

I stopped into Fuller's last Friday on my way home from a doctor appointment.  I haven't been in almost 6 months.   ..........

Mrre8Rn.jpg

I love the red flamed maple. 

6 months since Fullers or the doctor?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thegreatgumbino said:

I stopped into Fuller's last Friday on my way home from a doctor appointment.  I haven't been in almost 6 months.   .   .   .  

.    .    .    Nothing that caught me off guard until I found this mint used 2021 Dove in the Martin room and fell in love at first strum.  Came home and couldn't stop thinking about it over the weekend.  

That's when you know- it's simply a matter of time.  Congrats on the Dove- that back does look amazing. Judging by the grooves in the fingertips in photo 1, you're already having a blast with it. (I'll be lucky if I get out of this whole Gibson thing without getting a Dove).

Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

I love the red flamed maple. 

6 months since Fullers or the doctor?

😀. That had me wondering, too.

Edited by 62burst
  • Haha 1

Congrats on this clazzic maple-winger. Doves are amazing, , , , but even more so on tape. Try it and send us all the result. Have fun. 

P.S. - low action won't make it fly lower

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thegreatgumbino said:

I'll try to record something with it in the next week or so.  Been so busy lately I haven't had much time to play, unfortunately.    

I can't believe you haven't had a Dove either, 62burst.  Did you ever pickup a J185 or sell your J200 TV?

Yes, gotta expect Emin7 to answer an NGD with a request for a sight &/or sound. ;  ) .

And, yes, sold the 2007 200TV- it was a 5-yr old new old stock when I got it. It went to a very good home.

Got a 185TV  from Japan. Won't be getting any more of Bozeman's finest from there again. . . it's a wonderful guitar- shapely, comfy, with the round sound of a jumbo and life-of-the-party good looks, but return shipping on a guitar's misrepresented condition from half way 'round the world makes it a "you bought it, you're keeping it" situation. 

Edited by 62burst

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Yes, gotta expect Emin7 to answer an NGD with a request for a sight &/or sound. ;  ) .

And, yes, sold the 2007 200TV- it was a 5-yr old new old stock when I got it. It went to a very good home.

Got a 185TV  from Japan. Won't be getting any more of Bozeman's finest from there again. . . it's a wonderful guitar- shapely, comfy, with the round sound of a jumbo and life-of-the-party good looks, but return shipping on a guitar's misrepresented condition from half way 'round the world makes it a "you bought it, you're keeping it" situation. 

Sorry to hear the J185TV from Japan  was a let down condition wise.  Hopefully your bonding with it regardless.  

3 hours ago, thegreatgumbino said:

Sorry to hear the J185TV from Japan  was a let down condition wise.  Hopefully your bonding with it regardless.  

Definitely. Having dings nicely spread across the top really takes the pressure off. . . ‘woulda felt bad if I’d done that myself. Looks like an Elvis impersonator wearing a few rings had it.

• Sad 1

My first guitar was an El Dorado pawn shop find for $50 that needed a neck reset with action about 1" at the 12th fret.  It was a horrible waste of money and I never practiced on it as a result. Fast forward 10 years, I decided to try to learn guitar and purchased a new Ovation Standard Balladeer with a red sunburst top from GC.   I didn't know squat about guitars at the time and purchased it based solely upon the color.   I always loved that red.  This cherry sunburst Dove grabbed my attention because it reminded me of that Ovation.  

I don't make it into Fuller's much as it's in town and I try to avoid traffic.  My doctor appointment last Friday was a pre-op for double jaw surgery coming up next month.  It's been a long process to this point (4.5 years).  I stopped in just to kick tires and see what Mike had of interest.  It's overwhelming how many guitars he has in the shop.  You have to weave your way through the store between stacks of guitar boxes.  Years ago Mike told me the story of being a kid and riding his bike miles to the nearest music store in the mall.  They would only have a couple guitars on the wall and hand him a catalog full of different styles and colors.  He said he decided then if he ever owned a guitar store, he would have one of every color and type instead of handing people a catalog.  I think he's achieved that goal.

Here's a couple pics of the custom 40's J45 and a link to the listing on their website:  https://www.fullersguitar.com/gibson-custom-shop-fullers-exclusive-earl-48081351.html.  This thing has a beast of a neck.  I loved it.

in9qnIF.jpg

8gGsrh7.jpg

HaJgFFP.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Holiday Hoser said:

Are we supposed to be boycotting Dove?

Dove hit by growing boycott for hiring BLM activist Zyahna Bryant, which Elon Musk calls ‘messed up’

It doesn't look like she boycotts a meal now does she. How about a salad and some exercise? She is another one of the lets take all the statues down activist idiots. That changes what actually happened in history, in case you didn't know. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:28 AM, thegreatgumbino said:

don't make it into Fuller's much as it's in town and I try to avoid traffic.  My doctor appointment last Friday was a pre-op for double jaw surgery coming up next month.  It's been a long process to this point (4.5 years).  I stopped in just to kick tires and see what Mike had of interest.  It's overwhelming how many guitars he has in the shop.  

I always like to stop in shops too, and distract myself when dealing with drs and such.  Really nice “after appointment lollipop” you got there! 😄 Here’s to a successful procedure and a super fast recovery.  Revel in the excuse to drink all the malts you want!  

As Em7 wisely said, Doves ARE amazing, and I’ve never come across a guitar that records anywhere near as well as my Dove does. It was the only acoustic guitar I used on my most recent record, it’s just perfect under a mic-so articulate and balanced. Gets out of the way of vocals and just fills the gaps in a mix with marvellous musicality. 

Mine is a ‘95, natural finish top with red back and sides as usual…I LOVE that red burst top though! What a score!

• Like 1

Congratulations!

I have my pawn shop find 2006 Cherry Burst that I picked up a number of years ago and recently had repaired.

The Cherry Burst is just ' a light in the black' to cheer up those dull days! (Though I do feel like I should wear a paisley headband.....):

pbZLVIv.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

11 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I have my pawn shop find 2006 Cherry Burst that I picked up a number of years ago and recently had repaired.

pbZLVIv.jpg

Didn't this Dove have some sort of tattoo. . .

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Didn't this Dove have some sort of tattoo. . .

Correct!

My luthier got most of the writing off, repaired a few nasty spots left by a guitar stand..., new bone saddle, new bone nut.....and gave the lot a beautiful setup!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

A massive undertaking, Gumbino. And re-stringing four guitars? Who does that? Even two minutes each in a comparo as broad as what you've offered up would've satisfied the most ardent fan of a/b's. Yes, tuning down to the D throws off the ear that is accustomed to Standard tuning, and is kinder to the long scale instruments, but next to each other, some favorites do emerge. 

People would've lost their minds if this was made as a blind tape guessing game, to be offered later with the video of who was who. The long scale Dove does keep it crisp in the de-tune. I've come back to liking the dry sound, and that J-45 V represents it so well. The big '200- such a round, big smooth sound. And that super sweet short scale Hummingbird Vintage has a very special place here.

Thanks for putting all of that together. 

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

Oooohh, this is great news. 4 aces in serious A-B-C-D. I really look forward to drill in - will not happen now. Too tired to offer them focused justice and have tasks tomorrow nite. 

Perhaps I'll find a gab before leaving. Can't wait. . . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

A massive undertaking, Gumbino. And re-stringing four guitars? Who does that? Even two minutes each in a comparo as broad as what you've offered up would've satisfied the most ardent fan of a/b's. Yes, tuning down to the D throws off the ear that is accustomed to Standard tuning, and is kinder to the long scale instruments, but next to each other, some favorites do emerge. 

People would've lost their minds if this was made as a blind tape guessing game, to be offered later with the video of who was who. The long scale Dove does keep it crisp in the de-tune. I've come back to liking the dry sound, and that J-45 V represents it so well. The big '200- such a round, big smooth sound. And that super sweet short scale Hummingbird Vintage has a very special place here.

Thanks for putting all of that together. 

I was due for string changes and had some free time on my hands.  Was curious to see how these stacked up to one another and wanted the only variable to be the guitars.   Figured it would be a neat comparison for posterity's sake.  Now I can come back in a few years and see how they've matured.   The Dove is a beast that needs to be played in.  Pretty sure it was unplayed for the majority of its life. 

A blind comparison didn't even cross my mind.   I should have done that to see if the Gibson-philes could decipher them.  

• Like 1