Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo saddle issue?

BoneCrusher13

Hey,

Hoping to get some advice ….

I recently acquired an Advanced Jumbo from 2001. Easy guitar to play and feels great. Set up perfectly with great action but…. The saddle is huge on it and it’s leaning towards the neck a bit? Is it normal for this bridge and through saddle to lean that way? I have Owned many Gibson’s in my life but I have never seen one set up like this and have that much saddle left over. But the saddle lean doesn’t seem right. 

7 hours ago, J185cat said:

Some beautiful guitars you got there. I too have a LC AJ and the saddle on mine does not lean like that at all. Has that guitar ever been worked on? I guess th main thing is if it plays good and has good intonation then okay.

Thank you. 
the guitar has been set up is all. The saddle is also glued in which I have never seen before but also isn’t uncommon I gather. 
the cut through slot on the bridge is actually angled toward the neck. Which I don’t know is right or not? I will share more photos. 
I mean the guitar sounds amazing and plays amazing I just don’t want something catastrophic lurking. 

I have never seen a slot cut at an angle, but If the slot is indeed cut at an angle, and the saddle fits snugly against both front and back of the slot, I wouldn’t worry about it.  Hopefully the bottom of the saddle is angled appropriately as well.

roger

• 2 weeks later...

@BoneCrusher13 @gibsonchiq  How are you both doing with this issue?

I've read through both threads and have the same broad stroke question others have had. If you've not done so already, why not replace the saddle?  It's not even expensive to have professionally done. Some luthiers use stock and shape the whole thing themselves while others will be pre-made and sand the ends and sides to fit.

A well fit saddle is a wonderful  thing. I replaced The loosest saddle I've ever seen with a new saddle that I sanded down to perfection. That guitar went from a nice/cool/nifty guitar to an astonishingly great sounding guitar. You can easily feel the rumble when playing it. This was not the case before the saddle change.  

On a final note, it is a fairly cheap and easy DIY project. Videos galore. There are only a few gotchyas to worry about. Best part is, if you mess it up, put the old saddle back in and order another saddle to try.

23 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

@BoneCrusher13 @gibsonchiq  How are you both doing with this issue?

I've read through both threads and have the same broad stroke question others have had. If you've not done so already, why not replace the saddle?  It's not even expensive to have professionally done. Some luthiers use stock and shape the whole thing themselves while others will be pre-made and sand the ends and sides to fit.

A well fit saddle is a wonderful  thing. I replaced The loosest saddle I've ever seen with a new saddle that I sanded down to perfection. That guitar went from a nice/cool/nifty guitar to an astonishingly great sounding guitar. You can easily feel the rumble when playing it. This was not the case before the saddle change.  

On a final note, it is a fairly cheap and easy DIY project. Videos galore. There are only a few gotchyas to worry about. Best part is, if you mess it up, put the old saddle back in and order another saddle to try.

I did replace the saddle. 

The luthier cut a new bone one for the banner reissue and it still happened.

I think it has to do with the slot in the bridge

21 hours ago, gibsonchiq said:

That very well may be the case. It was with the guitar I wrote, my Dove, had quite the  distinct saddle wobble. It ended up that the saddle slot was too wide for the saddle they used. I filled the side of the saddle in the slot with feeler gauge until it was tight. I then measured the total thickness with micrometer/caliper of saddle WITH the shim, and then used that to order a custom saddle from Bob Colosi at Guitarsaddles.com. He made it with just enough extra thickness, height and length for me to be able to sand perfectly to fit. Extra work, but easy to do.

Perhaps a less daunting, less scary solution below can work for both of you and is non-invasive as repair gets. The linked-to veneer sheets can be used to provide a temporary fix and a proof of concept for both saddle height, saddle bottom sanding to match an uneven saddle bottom and thickness.

On a slide through saddle, if the bottom of the saddle-slot in the bridge is actually uneven, a saddle of proper thickness will show you(visually) just how far off the slot bottom is. A saddle that is not thick enough will give the appearance of an uneven saddle slot bottom because it leaning due to the string tension pulling it forward. I was just thinking that a possible non-invasive repair would be to get wood strip material and lightly(one little drop for now) glue it to the bottom of the saddle and sand at an angle just a little bit at a time. These kits from Guitar Saddles dot com is the kit I'm referring to. It's cheap enough.

The cut yourself,  veneer sheets further down that page could be used for both tasks. Try it on your new saddle that you mentioned as appearing to have the same condition you started out with. Just remember to to the thickness part first. (If current intonation is perfect, use the shim on the side facing the bottom as that's where the string tensions is currently pulling the saddle to. )  

On 10/21/2023 at 9:05 AM, gibsonchiq said:

I guess I'd go back to the luthier and ask him  Why ?    If you brought your guitar in for a specific issue -  one visible and relatively easy to diagnose, if not 'fix' ... why did he return it to you without it being fixed with no explanation?     I'd be curious how he deals with customers with 50 year old guitars that need  something more complex  like a neck reset, or have a rattle .   Does he not offer the service of Replacing Bridges?   If so, he should be expert in cutting the slot to spec.   Was it suggested in the other thread this was discussed you return the guitar while still in the 'return period' ?   Are you now in the  Second Phase  "Get thee to a Gibson Authorized Maintenance Facility'  to have the problem diagnosed properly?   Saddle too thin?   Bottom of saddle not flat?  Bridge slot too wide,? Not flat? Bridge itself not cut level/square?  Face of guitar not level ?   G'Luck.

Ok so this is the original saddle and bridge. No work had been done to this guitar. 
This guitar was custom built for an artist for 2001 Gibson bluegrass festival.

I mean it doesn’t seem right to me either but talking to the person who owned the guitar prior to me it’s been like this since 2010 Atleast that’s when he aquired it. 
I have brought it to the best luthier I know here in Alberta he says all is fine. 
plays and sounds like a dream but I also don’t want issues. I’m at a loss what to do? 

I have a Historic Series 42 Banner J-45 and the saddle leans quite similar to that. I have heard tell that a leaning saddle increases the risk of cracking the bridge but I have also heard luthier/repair persons say it's nothing to worry about. Mine has been that way for a few years now and no issues so far. I'm not too worried about it. If I was, I'd take it to a couple of trusted shops and get a 1st and 2nd opinion.

On 10/26/2023 at 8:36 AM, BoneCrusher13 said:

Ok so this is the original saddle and bridge. No work had been done to this guitar. 
This guitar was custom built for an artist for 2001 Gibson bluegrass festival.

I mean it doesn’t seem right to me either but talking to the person who owned the guitar prior to me it’s been like this since 2010 Atleast that’s when he aquired it. 
I have brought it to the best luthier I know here in Alberta he says all is fine. 
plays and sounds like a dream but I also don’t want issues. I’m at a loss what to do? 

my luthier also said that its nothing to worry about. 

Leaning Saddle Of Pizza?

Saddle too thin, slot wrong, both made on Friday afternoon or Monday morning....

How could the guitar ever be intonated the way it was designed to be with a thick, straight, high density piece of leg bone as the prototype?

I have had my pawn shop find 2002 J50 re-saddled, re-nutted, setup......high density bone parts, great setup and the guitar is a dream after pro work replaced amateur awful.

BluesKing777.