Gibson Brands Forums

Do The Beatles still hold up to modern music?

cody78

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Who owns the rights to their albums? Didn't they sell the whole package? 

Who owns the copyright to the Beatles catalog?

Paul McCartney and Sony/ATV both currently own publication rights to the Beatles catalog. 
Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

And thereby you mean individual demos and fx fragments of songs touched collectively while making the albums ?

The latter could easily turn into futuristic pieces of music, but the home-tapes would be harder to call Beatles.

I'm not sure how George ended up on the comin' track.

A horror scenario would be, let's say Dhani and Sean sitting noodling around with collages based on cassette sketches as old men. Sending them out as The Beatle-DNA Project in 2042 😖 80 years after the release of Love Me Do. . 

From what I’ve read the Vault contains many Recordings that were not thought to be up to Beatles standards back in their earlier careers.. And never released. Who knows what they might pull out & tinker with?

People are still doing Sinatra.. And Beethoven. 

Edited by Larsongs

3 hours ago, Murph said:

I was in a conversation several years ago with 8/9 people of differing ages and mentioned "Paul McCartney" and a young man in his late 20's said "Who's Paul McCartney?" 

Most of us looked at him in disbelief, but he was serious.

He didn't know the name.

Only 1 thing to do = Inform.

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

From what I’ve read the Vault contains many Recordings that were not thought to be up to Beatles standards back in their earlier careers.. And never released. Who knows what they might pull out & tinker with?

People are still doing Sinatra.. And Beethoven. 

I've read the opposite. That they didn't 'waste' much time on weaker material.                                                                                                                                                                         But they spaced a lot - I've heard tapes of sessions which were SOOOO far out. . 

10 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Only 1 thing to do = Inform.

Oh, we did.

But, my point was, there are now more people who don't know even know who the Beatles are, than who do.

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping....

28 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I've read the opposite. That they didn't 'waste' much time on weaker material.                                                                                                                                                                         But they spaced a lot - I've heard tapes of sessions which were SOOOO far out. . 

I believe what they were saying was they didn’t spend tons of time re-doing Parts, Mixing or Mastering anything that was less than “A” material…

In the past 40 years they’ve gone back & have Re-Mastered several Songs.. “In Spite Of All The Danger” is one of several.. Who knows how many more there are??

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Oh, we did.

But, my point was, there are now more people who don't know even know who the Beatles are, than who do.

You are right. 

51 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I believe what they were saying was they didn’t spend tons of time re-doing Parts, Mixing or Mastering anything that was less than “A” material…

In the past 40 years they’ve gone back & have Re-Mastered several Songs.. “In Spite Of All The Danger” is one of several.. Who knows how many more there are??

I tend to believe the Fab-camp when they tell us nothing is left really.                                                                                                                                                                But that's by contemporary standards seen through ditto glasses.
As mentioned my fear is that these will change over time and that the most peculiar kitsch products could see light of day in the future.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Who will manage the cultural heritage and business when the kids are losing it. .  

6 hours ago, Murph said:

Oh, we did.

There are people who don’t even know who the President is? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Let's not go there.

The Beatles albums still sell well but you seldom hear their music playing anywhere, I think it's just been played to death and everyone is sick of hearing it over and over and over again.

Does the music hold up?  Yes.

I hear lots of The Beatles music on Classic Rock Radio & many Sirus Stations...

Edited by Larsongs

Maybe they're still on the playlists.   The only thing worth listening to around here are the college stations and they never play them, I've never heard them when I was forced to listen to rock stations at work.  I did get to hear a lot of Ozzie Osbourne, Guns N Rose, Queen, Skynyrd, Hendrix, AC/DC and stuff like that.

I can't recall when I last heard The Beatles on the radio, probably after John Lennon was murdered, The Beatles were all over the radio stations.

13 hours ago, Murph said:

...into the future."

How does time slip into the future?  

Apparently, for some recording artists, time slips into the future in the form of backing music for commercials and/or elevator/cust. service phone hold music. Movie/television soundtracks also account for some of these "future slips".

A whole new generation was exposed to The Beatles via the movie "Yesterday" (2019) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_(2019_film)

In 2016, the movie "Sing" slammed an even younger demographic with Jennifer Hudson's  booming version of "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight", in the first scene of the film!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMgz9L-pj18

There are so many great tracks, by great artists, that I know well, despite not knowing the artist's name, (or even the song's name, sometimes). So, it makes me wonder if the kid who did not know who "Paul" was, would have recognized music by The Beatles, if he heard it?

Getting "exposed" to "new to you", yet been around awhile, art, happens to many people in many ways each day. 

https://people.com/the-beatles-announce-new-song-now-and-then-8382741?utm_campaign=peoplemagazine&utm_content=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=653aade56443c70001981558&fbclid=IwAR0u57qmpj01_68Zlf2VLE6cEKHCy4LnZEfajBbZZkN8kpOC_b2F_OXCDwM

They're back in the news.  No other band really gets this kind of publicity.  New Hendrix track?  Who cares.  New Stones album?  That's nice.  New Beatles track?  Let's hear it!

7 hours ago, SteveFord said:

https://people.com/the-beatles-announce-new-song-now-and-then-8382741?utm_campaign=peoplemagazine&utm_content=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=653aade56443c70001981558&fbclid=IwAR0u57qmpj01_68Zlf2VLE6cEKHCy4LnZEfajBbZZkN8kpOC_b2F_OXCDwM

They're back in the news.  No other band really gets this kind of publicity.  New Hendrix track?  Who cares.  New Stones album?  That's nice.  New Beatles track?  Let's hear it!

It's funny you say "new Stones album". This past week had Jagger on the Tonight Show, and Jagger, Wood, and Richards on another show promoting their new album.

13 hours ago, SteveFord said:

New Stones album?  That's nice.  New Beatles track?  Let's hear it!

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

It's funny you say "new Stones album". This past week had Jagger on the Tonight Show, and Jagger, Wood, and Richards on another show promoting their new album.

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

They're all over the place plugging that album.  I heard one song off of it, Angry, I think it's called, with the video of the girl rolling around in a car.  They could have shortened it and not missed anything but I'm sure it will sell.

Perhaps 'better' or more dramatic question : Will the Rolling Stones' music hold up ?!

And yes - Hackney Diamonds is a very fine album. 

Edited by E-minor7

There's no way of telling what musical tastes will be like 50 or 100 years from now.

I still like a lot of the Stone's stuff, from 1967-1971 they were at the top of their game.  Like the Beatles and most of the British Invasion stuff, I think it held up well.  I've met teen-agers who feel the same way, they find current music to be lacking.  They're probably in the minority, though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

There's no way of telling what musical tastes will be like 50 or 100 years from now.

I still like a lot of the Stone's stuff, from 1967-1971 they were at the top of their game.  Like the Beatles and most of the British Invasion stuff, I think it held up well.  I've met teen-agers who feel the same way, they find current music to be lacking.  They're probably in the minority, though.

The same here - I'll count Aftermath in though, , , but not (and this may be controversial) Exile on Mainstreet. The free expression there may be some kind of a statement, but there's no real songs. 

We have a burger-place here called Jagger (it's not after Mick). Still I ask the youngsters behind the desk what the name Jagger awakes them. The answers come on various levels, most of them vague. But some recall there is a singer called that,  others say Mick Jagger without really knowing who he is. Few if any mention the band. When my next step adds the clue Rolling Stones, they light a bit up : Arrrrh yes, , my parents have spoken about them or My dad is a big fan. I then tell them he's the frontman of the biggest rock-band on earth, , , yet old. They listen in respect, soon the burger is ready and we part in good vibes.
It's a funny little waiting game that has been goin' on for 3 or 4 years. Guess about 10 boys and girls were on the grill so far. . 

The album cover seemed to be the best part of Exile.  

I listened to my copy of it maybe 5 times, same with Goats Head Soup.    The greatest hits compliations, High Tides And Green Grass,  Through The Past (Darkly), along  with Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya-Yas Out and Sticky Fingers I've played maybe as much as the Beatles albums.

Both good in their own way, I think Jumpin' Jack Flash and A Day In The Life will always resonate with music lovers.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

The album cover seemed to be the best part of Exile.  

You may be right - 

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I listened to my copy of it maybe 5 times, same with Goats Head Soup.    The greatest hits compliations, High Tides And Green Grass,  Through The Past (Darkly), along  with Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya-Yas Out and Sticky Fingers I've played maybe as much as the Beatles albums.

Both good in their own way, I think Jumpin' Jack Flash and A Day In The Life will always resonate with music lovers.

The Soup has Angie - she (if not save) lifts the record. It's Only Rock and Roll, , , it didn't have such angel. 

Him the springing Jack ignited rock'n'roll fuel no Fab-tune could reach - so did that Midnight Rambler.

But let's not forget Beatles worked on/from a much bigger tank - most tunes were simply extraordinary good. The best pure masterpieces. 

In the neighbor's quite messy yard the stones arranged themselves brilliantly. . . 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 5:37 PM, Larsongs said:

There are people who don’t even know who the President is? 

BS. I  see FJB stickers and T-shirts and Let's Go Brandon stuff everywhere in SC. I even see Rebel Flags aka The Lynyrd Skynyrd flag. The guy next door to me on his shed has a plaque in the state of SC and its background is the Rebel Flag. Here they know who he is, and want him,  and the VP gone. I also on a regular basis around here on stickers and T-shirts  - Joe and the Ho gotta go.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

34 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I  see FJB stickers and T-shirts and Let's Go Brandon stuff everywhere in SC. I even see Rebel Flags aka The Lynyrd Skynyrd flag. 

I noticed a quote from a verse in Mrs Robinson spayed on a wall approx 10 years ago.                                                                                                                                                                                    Wow, , , due to the anachronism it was almost like seeing the light.