Gibson Brands Forums

Do The Beatles still hold up to modern music?

cody78

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your mostly a horn player correct? The Beatles music didn't have much horns in it. There was Penny Lane and maybe A Day In The Life. That's all I can think of.

Sax, Wind Synth, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Flute, Keyboard Synth/Organ and Vocals

Drums were my first instrument, Saxophone/Wind Synth is my primary instrument. I play keys, but not piano (I can play at the piano, but I'm not a pianist)

I consider sax and wind synth as one, because depending on the gig, and the audience, I make the choice of either one on many of the songs.

l don't need horns to like a band or a song. As long as I like the music, it's OK with me.

On the gig I probably play a little more than half on sax or wind synth, a little less than half on guitar, and a few on flute. Vocally, my duo partner is a great singer, I'm an adequate singer, but I sing almost half the songs (I get the easier one).

Notes ♫

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Think again, , , , Pepper. . 

Got To Get You Into My Life had horns. When I’m 64 had a Clarinet, but that is a woodwind instrument and not technically a horn. But still 95% or more of their music is hornless.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Got To Get You Into My Life had horns. When I’m 64 had a Clarinet, but that is a woodwind instrument and not technically a horn. But still 95% or more of their music is hornless.

You introduced horns - Norton plays sax. But there are blown instruments on

For No One - Strawberry F - All You Need is LOVE - Mystery Tour - Lady Madonna - Hey Jude - Martha - Mother Nature's - Savoy T and more to come. . 

• Like 1

I was listening to one of the newer Re-Mixes of “Got To Get You Into My Life” on Sirius yesterday.. The Plosives were off the chart! So much so I had to change the Station.. And I really LIKE that Song..

I own most of the newer Re Masters & Re Mixes & like most of them.. But, the original Records were done so great that most of the time I go back to them if I want to hear their perfect Recordings.. So much care was especially taken to the Mono Recordings. The EQ, Compression, De Essing, Levels, Balance & FX.. They’re the best.. 

21 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I was listening to one of the newer Re-Mixes of “Got To Get You Into My Life” on Sirius yesterday.. The Plosives were off the chart! So much so I had to change the Station.. And I really LIKE that Song..

I own most of the newer Re Masters & Re Mixes & like most of them.. But, the original Records were done so great that most of the time I go back to them if I want to hear their perfect Recordings.. So much care was especially taken to the Mono Recordings. The EQ, Compression, De Essing, Levels, Balance & FX.. They’re the best.. 

A true fundamentalist has spoken - respect.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Personally I like the 09-remasterings and have the CD-box - the black in stereo.                                                                                                          Remember we (4 guys) A/B'ed the M/S when they came out. Each person randomly picked 2-3 tracks.                                                                                                                                                                 To me there was no doubt - S won. But 1 member bought the white M.

The new mixes are scientifically intereztinnng - reveals stuff sometimes suggest things as well. . 

21 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

The Plosives were off the chart! So much so I had to change the Station.. 

Would like to learn from this  -  sounds dramatic, don't understand it at all. . 

4 hours ago, Murph said:

I thought 64 had a French horn, but I guess it was 3 clarinets.

I think Paul’s dad played the clarinet on that track. I may be stoned though. It’s also recored at a different speed and that is why Paul’s voice sounds so high.

15 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You introduced horns - Norton plays sax. But there are blown instruments on

For No One - Strawberry F - All You Need is LOVE - Mystery Tour - Lady Madonna - Hey Jude - Martha - Mother Nature's - Savoy T and more to come. . 

I do not remember horns on Hey Jude.

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

A true fundamentalist has spoken - respect.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Personally I like the 09-remasterings and have the CD-box - the black in stereo.                                                                                                          Remember we (4 guys) A/B'ed the M/S when they came out. Each person randomly picked 2-3 tracks.                                                                                                                                                                 To me there was no doubt - S won. But 1 member bought the white M.

The new mixes are scientifically intereztinnng - reveals stuff sometimes suggest things as well. . 

Would like to learn from this  -  sounds dramatic, don't understand it at all. . 

Simply.. Plosives are annoying sounds.. Generally Vocalist Sounds like.. PA, KA, GA & others.. Here is a more in depth Video.. One of many..

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I do not remember horns on Hey Jude.

Okay, but you didn't remember much horn anywhere.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 We'll have to dive down the outro anthem - there is a massive of various players unfolding there. . 

6 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

No… Most of them are excellent.. Some are better than the Originals..

Just as good, , , and perhaps 'better' via an updated frame of mind. 

From where the heck did the plosives attack, , , , in the middle of a Revolver track (if you allow a rhyme) . . 

Edited by E-minor7

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

Most of us know re-mixing the icons is like goin' in changing details on a Van Gogh or so. 

Ahh, Vincent could have used a slightly warmer turquoise there, let's fix that.

Pablo would have been better off with zink-white than a titanium-ditto - we'll look into it.

I firmly believe there is a nicer table-cloth-yellow under the one Henry ended up choosing. We'll scrape it forward.

Ouh, shouldn't Salvador have  made those burning camels stand purple against the sunset, not brown-red  😱 

Shouldn't the emoji-makers have coloured the upper half of Munch's 'Skriget' green, , , like a toxic headache, not blue. . 

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Most of us know re-mixing the icons is like goin' in changing details on a Van Gogh or so. 

Pablo would have been better off with zink-white than a titanium-ditto - we'll look into it.

I firmly believe there is a nicer table-cloth-yellow under the one Henry ended up choosing. We'll scrape it forward.

Ouh, shouldn't Salvador have  made those burning camels stand purple against the sunset, not brown-red  😱 

Shouldn't the emoji-makers have coloured the upper half of Munch's 'Skriget' green, , , like a toxic headache, not blue. . 

Wow. . . that would be some serious editing. 

(lounge people-  forgive my presence in your realm)

49 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Wow. . . that would be some serious editing. 

But is this analogy a step to far. . 

50 minutes ago, 62burst said:

(lounge people-  forgive my presence in your realm)

Why ?

1 minute ago, 62burst said:

No,  the analogy is not a step too far.

👍  I think the Beatles camp plus Giles Martin and his staff know how sensitive this is. It a tightrope walk between bein' loyal to the old magic / historical document and updating it by adding tine bits and pieces here there and everywhere. . 

What the future will bring is hard to predict. But in many years to come the heritage will be taken care of by good responsible people :  Dhani, Julian, Sean and the Starkeys'n'McCartneys. The kids !

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

From where the heck did the plosives attack, , , , in the middle of a Revolver track (if you allow a rhyme) . . 

Dealing with annoying Vocal Plosives on Recordings is not new.. With todays sophisticated technologies as seen in the one of many Videos I posted, it's even better than it ever has been.. Even for Guys like us..

Leaving them on Beatles Remixes & Re-Masters shouldn't exist.. Particularly when they weren't noticeable on the Original Records...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Dealing with annoying Vocal Plosives on Recordings is not new.. With todays sophisticated technologies as seen in the one of many Videos I posted, it's even better than it ever has been.. Even for Guys like us..

Leaving them on Beatles Remixes & Re-Masters shouldn't exist.. Particularly when they weren't noticeable on the Original Records...

I'll have to check that track ^

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Is it to be heard here - 

That is not the one I heard on Sirius.. Who knows which Mix it was? There are so many!

The Mix in the Video is particularly good.. A couple plosives that are almost unnoticeable around 1:17 - 1:20 but overall a beautiful Mix of one of my favorite Songs IMO.. 

Edited by Larsongs

14 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

That's kind of my opinion and one reason I've never bought a re-mix. Well, except Let It Be Naked. But it was supposed to be Naked.

Giles may be a genius and all that, but John never actually approved those changes, did he?

I love playing Beatles songs and jacking them up a bit, partly because my group has a really really good singer. When people hear her, they cut her a lot slack because her vocal interpretations are so pleasing.

For me just about anything to the accompaniment can be done if the voice is exceptional.

Edited by mihcmac