Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stone's 250 Greatest Guitarists

SteveFord

2 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Rolling Stone  came out with a list in 2010.  I had to go back to find it.  Only 100 Top guitarists then.   As I recall there were only a half dozen females Joan Jett.  Joni Mitchell...   About as useful as  if Amazon published lists like this.    "Top Ten Chaffing Dishes of All Time"   in 2010.   And then - came out with  "Top 25 Chaffing Dishes of All Time".      Anyone who disagrees with the  choice of "Kitchen Aid" in the top spot also gets a punch in the nose. 

I have a Kitchen Aid mixer for making pizza dough. No nose punch for me. The Sunbeam ones do look cool though. 

Question do dishes chafe? I get chaffed sometimes from ridding (peddling) my bike, and have to rub some cream on it. 

1 minute ago, jvi said:

there can only be one greatest, should be titled 250 great guitarists, but my grammer  aint much gooder....

We never need these lists. #1 is always, and will always be no matter what:

JIMI HENDRIX

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Ha ha, so true. Every single time. 

I have never and I mean never seen one where Jimi with an "I" wasn't #1.

Its like that other thread,  yes we will be discussing The Beatles 50, 75 and 100 years from now. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, cody78 said:

Led Zep boring? Have you heard Archilles Last Stand?

Okay, so I've only heard the two first albums or something. I'll repent and listen to some more of their stuff someday. Sorry for not lockstepping with what you "have" to like.

Deal?

Edited by Pinch

36 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Okay, so I've only heard the two first albums or something. I'll repent and listen to some more of their stuff someday. Sorry for not lockstepping with what you "have" to like.

Deal?

Physical Graffiti and Houses Of The Holy are absolutely killer.

No one "has" to like any music.

My wife and I were talking the other day and she to me "I've heard some of the terrible you listen to".

My response was "Yeah, but what I was listening to was good terrible music, and I know the difference."

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

Deal?

As Sgt. Pepper said, you don't 'have to' like anything. I didn't get into Led Zep because everyone liked them, in fact when I was young in the 90's nobody I knew liked them at school or had even heard of them. I used to put 'Since I've Been Loving You' on the cassette player in our form room and everyone said they were ****.  These were the people who listened to boy and girl groups of the 90's...I'm still  pleased I wasn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Hendrix? Page? 

Page? Hendrix?

You can't take any list of the "250 greatest Gauitar Players" seriously that omits William "Bill" S. Preston, and Ted "Theodore" Logan  of Wyld Stallyns.

RBSinTo

I have to say Jimmy Page all day long. I would put Jeff Beck in front of Hendrix. I was watching that Kennedy Center honors Led Zeppelin segment yesterday, and watching what Page was doing is astonishing. I saw Jeff Beck in concert 4 years ago, and his "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" rendition had the crowd speechless. He had blood dripping down his clothes by the end of the night. He still gives it his all. I have another opinion that won't be popular....I think Clapton is overrated! He was the 3rd best guitarist from the Yardbirds!

58 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Hendrix? Page? 

Page? Hendrix?

You can't take any list of the "250 greatest Gauitar Players" seriously that omits William "Bill" S. Preston, and Ted "Theodore" Logan  of Wyld Stallyns.

RBSinTo

Wasn't he Ted "Theodore" Logan Esquire?

49 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I have to say Jimmy Page all day long. I would put Jeff Beck in front of Hendrix. I was watching that Kennedy Center honors Led Zeppelin segment yesterday, and watching what Page was doing is astonishing. I saw Jeff Beck in concert 4 years ago, and his "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" rendition had the crowd speechless. He had blood dripping down his clothes by the end of the night. He still gives it his all. I have another opinion that won't be popular....I think Clapton is overrated! He was the 3rd best guitarist from the Yardbirds!

Those guys are all great, but I think Richard Thompson and Lindsey Buckingham are two the best still alive, and for people to think a guy that can't and hasn't play a note for over 50 years is still the best ever and no one had move past what he did is silly.

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Those guys are all great, but I think Richard Thompson and Lindsey Buckingham are two the best still alive, and for people to think a guy that can't and hasn't play a note for over 50 years is still the best ever and no one had move past what he did is silly.

Buckingham is exceptional, and underrated. I think there are many that don't get enough recognition.....Alex Lifeson, Brian May, Neal Schon. The 70s rock scene produced a lot of great guitarist. Buckingham did it all, wrote, sang, engineered, and I like his playing style. He never overplayed, just his portion of what the band needed. I was never a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac back then, but I am now. I think Christine McVie was the glue that held that band together.