Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stone's 250 Greatest Guitarists

SteveFord

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

Where are Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Rory Gallagher? It's all subjective of course but they are all playing different styles of music.  

It is an absurd list.. It could be a different list every day… You know what they say about opinions.

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

An absurd list.

St Vincent ahead of David Gilmour?
Jack White ranked higher than Chet Atkins??

Rubbish.

Absolutely without merit.

🤨

Absurd lists make for clicks. Clicks make advertisers happy. Money rolls in.

Thanks to Steve's link, I only had to read 24 and up, but eyebrows were raised a few times.

I also had no idea James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett were one person (#23). I'm thinking after he sold the "Sunny" Les Paul, he bought Hetfield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was more interested in the guitars shown than the relevency of this list.

For duos, I would have picked the original guys from Wishbone Ash and **** Wagner and Steve Hunter.  Then again, nobody asked me.

I'm told I came in at Number 251.  I missed it by THAT MUCH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

I didn't realize The Stones went through that many guitarists.  Keef's been with them from the beginning.

Mick T was the cream of the crop. 

Jones 62-69 Beggars Banquet

Taylor 69-75? Sticky Fingers 

Woody 75?-Present Some Girls 

Richards 62-Present Let It Bleed

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Clapton's stock took a turn for the worse. He's usually top 5. Not even in the the top 25. Joni Mitchell, in the top 25, according to RS is a better player. #35 for Eric. That was for being a  pest during Covid.

Tom Morello #18.A guy who makes chain saw noises. At least Adrian Below could make an elephant noise.

Richard Thompson #63. Wow of the 62 in front of him on the list may be 5 are in HIS league. 

Liz Phair and Lou Reed according to RS is better players than Rory Gallagher at #175. That is just not even funny. 

So Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols is on the list, but I didn't see Allan Holdsworth? WTF

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Perhaps “greatest” has been redefined in some fashion… I can’t find any other explanation. Whats good for one man may be the opposite for another. Perhaps greatest guitarists that helped RS sell the most magazines… most publicity… looks like this list repays some favors… greatest guitarists to me means those that have mastered the instrument and written songs that demonstrate this. The rankings here are not in my agreement either. 

“Music” today isn’t music. It’s about image and popularity. Talent - as usual for the last few decades - isn’t a major factor. If you can look good on stage holding a guitar, on the list. Done! 

12 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I know you're supposed to revere Zeppelin... I just find them, well... boring. 

I might fly to Sweden and punch you in the nose. Zep 1 through Physical Graffiti was insanely good. Presence was okay and Out Door was total poo.

Rolling Stone  came out with a list in 2010.  I had to go back to find it.  Only 100 Top guitarists then.   As I recall there were only a half dozen females Joan Jett.  Joni Mitchell...   About as useful as  if Amazon published lists like this.    "Top Ten Chaffing Dishes of All Time"   in 2010.   And then - came out with  "Top 25 Chaffing Dishes of All Time".      Anyone who disagrees with the  choice of "Kitchen Aid" in the top spot also gets a punch in the nose.