Gibson Brands Forums

Help with price on a Martin D 28 150th Anniversary ed?

PrairieDog

Okay, so some of you know now I’ve had weirdness about not being able to “hear” Martins very well?  They just sound muddy to my poor metal-busted ears?  Well, it may be I’ve been playing the wrong ones.  

I was in a little out of the way shop yesterday that has a 1985 issue of the Martin D 28 150th anniversary model with Brazilian b/s and sitka top, ebony fingerboard.  It really sang, and now I understand what folks are going on about with Martins.  I was kinda blown away, even with some pretty sad looking strings on it. 

It looks to be in perfect shape, and otherwise looked “right” with both Martin hand sigs on the label, stamps, etc.  

The shop is asking $6950 for it, but I can’t find any comparables to tell if that is a decent/fair price or not.  Of course there are older D28 Brazilians up in the stratosphere, and I know that RW is particularly special.

The only other one I can find for sale right now is the 1983 first issue, asking $12,000. But there are quite a few regular D28s in the 2-4,000 range, granted not with Brazilian.  I don’t know if those would suit me just as well or if it really is the Brazilian that is catching me. 

So, help me out?  Is the Brazilian rosewood alone and historic build worth that much of mark up?  I am not savvy enough in the Martin market to know if that is a decent/fair price.   If this a unique opportunity, I may not want to pass it up, but I also don’t want to get caught out paying extra for limited edition “hype.”  

The shop is not guitar-centric, and  I think mostly consignments or trades on other instruments.  I think the consignors  are setting the prices.  To compare, they have a 1970s SJ200 with a large crack on the top the consigner was asking 3,700 for but is now taking reasonable offers.  On the other hand, if the Martin really is worth this much then I would be pretty happy bringing home (even though I wasn’t expecting to drop  7 gees on another add quite so soon, ack!)   

Thanks in advance all you Martin folks for any wise counsel you can offer. 

Edited by PrairieDog

• PrairieDog changed the title to Help with price on a Martin D 28 125th Anniversary ed?
  • PrairieDog changed the title to Help with price on a Martin D 28 150th Anniversary ed?

About 4 years ago, I was selling my 1984 HD28 Brazilian built to pre-war specs. I started high but after 12 months I wound up selling at $5400 (break even point).

I had Bob Willcut from Willcutt guitars appraise it for me. At that time, he said it should be worth 8k to 10k, but the market value was only 5K. He advised me to hold on to it for a few years to see if the market value would go up, but I really didn't like it when compared to my other Martins. 

If you really like it, make them an offer. I've learned that nothing is firm. I've bought quite a few 'firm' guitars at a lower price. I just made sure I never insulted them.

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Oh, sorry, the offers are on the SJ, the Martin is supposedly firm.  

It doesn’t matter what it is.. The same Principle applies.. Every Car, House, Watch, Ring or Guitar I’ve ever bought started out firm.. Money talks, BS walks.. But, always use finesse… I learned a long time ago that there are a lot of Guitars, or whatever, out there.. If I can’t get my price I can wait til another one or even something better comes along… If I can get my deal, I’ll buy.. If I can’t I’m patient, I can wait… 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips so far.  Nod, I would start with offer, but, not knowing anything about the market, as Dave mentioned, I don’t want to be insulting right out of the gate.  It’s why I am hoping to get a feel for where the reasonable market is if I can.  I really appreciate Dave Fs comment about his experience.

Another factor in play is the shop is a small independent musical institution around here, with a strong community following, and barely hanging on against the big chains.  I am acutely aware there is a potential that any price adjustments could come out of their commission, since they might be more likely to take the hit themselves than ding a loyal customer who consigned it. They are that kind of shop.  I know, I shouldn’t be so concerned, capitalism, right?  But as a small business owner myself, I want to be fair and not take advantage.  It’s not that I can’t afford it, I just don’t want to be foolish and overpay so much that I’m underwater on it if I had to move it on in the future.  Breaking even is okay, taking a bath kinda hurts.  

Edited by PrairieDog

To follow up on the replies suggesting other Martin’s. I’ve always shied away from them, until this one, I just couldn’t make them into anything.  Hence why this one is so exciting.  

We had to go into town today, so we swung by GC to try a new HD28 with Indian rosewood to compare and for half the price, hoping maybe it was just the model that was working for me.  But no. It was “nice,” but it was kinda thin.  It just didn’t have the overtones or presence of the 40 year old one.  That helped confirm I really am on to something with this one particular Martin.

So it’s in the mix of possibilities.  I’m just not sure where because I also took a minute to retry the new J45 from last week, and yeah, that one still felt like “home.” Comfortable, sweet, deep and just “there.”  

Terrible decisions to make.  

2 hours ago, GuitarsAnn said:

You could try a Martin HD28. They really sing, at least to me. I have a 2014 D45V that really sings. 

I'd like to ask a thing : Will the sound go muddy/unclear (a bit rubberband-like🥺) when the strings on your HD-28 fades.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Happens with my HD-28V - otherwise a topz-magnificent guitar.

13 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

To follow up on the replies suggesting other Martin’s. I’ve always shied away from them, until this one, I just couldn’t make them into anything.  Hence why this one is so exciting.  

We had to go into town today, so we swung by GC to try a new HD28 with Indian rosewood to compare and for half the price, hoping maybe it was just the model that was working for me.  But no. It was “nice,” but it was kinda thin.  It just didn’t have the overtones or presence of the 40 year old one.  That helped confirm I really am on to something with this one particular Martin.

So it’s in the mix of possibilities.  I’m just not sure where because I also took a minute to retry the new J45 from last week, and yeah, that one still felt like “home.” Comfortable, sweet, deep and just “there.”  

Terrible decisions to make.  

I know exactly what you mean.  My Rocinante is a Martin 1939 Authentic Aged D-18.  The new D-18, while nice, isn’t it.  Expensive stuff.  

It’s good that over the years, while figuring out stuf, I purchased above my talent level and have a few to sell, but even so, it’s like trading 2-3 for 1.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

I know exactly what you mean.  My Rocinante is a Martin 1939 Authentic Aged D-18.  The new D-18, while nice, isn’t it.  Expensive stuff.  

It’s good that over the years, while figuring out stuf, I purchased above my talent level and have a few to sell, but even so, it’s like trading 2-3 for 1.  

Nod exactly.  Whenever picking up a new instrument, I always buy the best I can afford rather than waste money on beginner, or student versions that don’t have the tone, response and playability you need to really “learn” and love playing that instrument.  Lessons on less than instruments often become an exercise in “compensating for the shortcomings” rather just relaxing into the learning.  Sure as a kid, I could plink out little Bach tunes on my toy piano, but it was a heck of a lot more fun to play on the Steinway when that came into the house. 

Edited by PrairieDog

On tough ones like this - I try to ask myself -   "How will you feel 6 months from now if you DO buy it??"   and  "How will you feel 6 months from now if you DON'T?".   It sounds like it's not actually an 'affordability' issue., and the price seems to be in the ballpark.  It may just be you don't want to feel you are being taken advantage of.    If YOU don't feel that way, it certainly doesn't matter if the store or consignee do !!    They might very well think if you plunk down the asking price  "Gee, I should have asked for more!   I got taken advantage of."      So, taking 'ego' out of the equation -  the only possible outcomes appear to be:   1,  You find a dream guitar with Brazilian RW -that you will never let go., or  2.  It turns out to be less than you hoped for (new strings?)  and you sell it for a thousand less.    Is the gamble, joy of the hunt and possible score worth $1000 ?       

At the end of the day - it doesn't matter what WE think this specific guitar is worth To Us, or even what the owner thinks it's worth to The Market.  Only what it's worth to you: not simply the guitar but the possibilities it offers.  G'Luck. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

On tough ones like this - I try to ask myself -   "How will you feel 6 months from now if you DO buy it??"   and  "How will you feel 6 months from now if you DON'T?".   It sounds like it's not actually an 'affordability' issue., and the price seems to be in the ballpark.  It may just be you don't want to feel you are being taken advantage of.    If YOU don't feel that way, it certainly doesn't matter if the store or consignee do !!    They might very well think if you plunk down the asking price  "Gee, I should have asked for more!   I got taken advantage of."      So, taking 'ego' out of the equation -  the only possible outcomes appear to be:   1,  You find a dream guitar with Brazilian RW -that you will never let go., or  2.  It turns out to be less than you hoped for (new strings?)  and you sell it for a thousand less.    Is the gamble, joy of the hunt and possible score worth $1000 ?       

At the end of the day - it doesn't matter what WE think this specific guitar is worth To Us, or even what the owner thinks it's worth to The Market.  Only what it's worth to you: not simply the guitar but the possibilities it offers.  G'Luck. 

Wise words as usual, 40.

So, duh.  The light bulb went on this morning and I googled “D28 Brazilian” without all the anniversary floof, and sure, now I see for a guitar with that build it does seem a very reasonable price, even among the sold ones.  

Oh, and I think I need reset my image just a bit?  I realized I am kinda coming off like an insufferable 1 percenter to whom money doesn’t matter.  No, I’m not really Bezos lurking on the Gibson forum, grin.  I’m just blessed to have fewer obligations than most, at the cost of not having any kids, rueful chuckle.  Yet, even so, I still need to be practical, and this would be an unexpected expenditure right now.  

But I agree, when opportunities pop up, it’s better to make the stretch for something special if you can manage it.  

I think I’ll make another run back down there when there are less distractions and hubbub than on a Saturday afternoon.  

Edited by PrairieDog

If it’s a trade-in, he’s probably in it for half the asking price.. If it’s consigned the mark-up is usually 20-30%.. Most Sellers are prepared to discount 10-20%.. Sometimes more for Green Cash.. No Taxes..

If the Guitar is as nice as it sounds, you’ll probably never sell it.. If you do I doubt you can get hurt.. It’s a rare one of a kind.. How do you shop it? 

I’ve had my D-35 almost 50 years.. It’s not going anywhere.. Which brings up another point.. Rarely does a new Guitar sound as good as one that has aged several years.. 

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Nod exactly.  Whenever picking up a new instrument, I always buy the best I can afford rather than waste money on beginner, or student versions that don’t have the tone, response and playability you need to really “learn” and love playing that instrument.  Lessons on less than instruments often become an exercise in “compensating for the shortcomings” rather just relaxing into the learning.  Sure as a kid, I could plink out little Bach tunes on my toy piano, but it was a heck of a lot more fun to play on the Steinway when that came into the house. 

Idunno man, a new-ish 1939 AA D-18 is about 6K.  If I want that, I’d have to sell a 000-28 AND a 1942 Gibson H Souther Jumbo.  I might have a few dollars left, but hey, good on you you don’t have to do that.

2 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

Idunno man, a new-ish 1939 AA D-18 is about 6K.  If I want that, I’d have to sell a 000-28 AND a 1942 Gibson H Souther Jumbo.  I might have a few dollars left, but hey, good on you you don’t have to do that.

Oh, sorry, by “pick up” I meant when I go into learning a new instrument, not that I’m picking up new guitars willy nilly, chuckle.  I wish it was like that, then my dilemma choosing between a pricey rare Martin and a budget conscious run of the mill J 45 would be solved, lol.  

Edited by PrairieDog

9 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

I totally agree, buy the very best you can.. New or Used.. 

While I have no wisdom to impart about the guitar, a close friend of mine who has owns a small music shop always says you know you have a deal on an instrument when nobody is overjoyed with it. That and one of those trying to strike a deal with ultimately come out with "your killing me."  While we have had some marathon haggling sessions, in general I have learned trying to work out a deal on any guitar sitting there on consignment never seems to happen because the store just does not seem to have the wiggle room they do with an instrument they own.  

Well, I went back down yesterday to try it one more time, fully expecting it was coming home. Even brought a down comforter to wrap the case in to protect it from the cold temps on the long ride back.

The experience of it changed between Saturday and yesterday, and I just couldn’t bond with it.  It still sounded beautiful, but I found after playing it for a good while, I was having a hard time with the neck and my old hand was feeling it.  It is larger than my narrow DIF.  

I probably could have gotten used to it, but it would have been a fight and prudence prevailed.  I think it will have a much happier life in the hands of someone who can really bring out the best in it, so it is back in the pond. 

I did get the story on it: The shop used to be a Martin dealer, and this guitar has been in the owner’s hands since it came in new.  It’s actually a D-28V, so different from the HD-28 or the 85 GOTM LTE.  

If anyone might be interested, if allowed here, I can share the link to the shop. It’s not likely to go up on Reverb or any of the other usual websites.  

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

......I was having a hard time with the neck and my old hand was feeling it.  It is larger than my narrow DIF.  

I feel you. I've had some wonderful Martins but when I started downsizing, the neck issue had me move all my Martin guitars except one.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Perfect example why we need to play the guitar we are buying, especially one in that price range. I wonder what changed your opinion on this guitar?

It just wasn’t comfortable when I sat down to really play with it.  On Saturday, it was busy and distracting in the store and I just kinda noodled around on it briefly to hear the tone.  I didn’t really try to put it through any serious paces.  Yesterday, quieter, I sat down to really work with it.  It was a bit heartbreaking, I thought I had found my unicorn. But honestly it was more sensible to give it up and let someone else win this little lottery.  I’m hoping karma will be kind to me….