Gibson Brands Forums

Authentic or fake Gibson LP

Kurital

1 minute ago, Kurital said:

Thanks! Sure it is. I couldn't try to hold not to wipe it after I play. 🤣

Be careful about wiping and cleaning and such. The surface is nitro lacquer which is very sensitive to various products, especially when your guitar is new and it hasn't cured/hardened. Also, don't put it on a guitar stand with rubber holder-thingys... It will leave marks in the nitro!

8 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Be careful about wiping and cleaning and such. The surface is nitro lacquer which is very sensitive to various products, especially when your guitar is new and it hasn't cured/hardened. Also, don't put it on a guitar stand with rubber holder-thingys... It will leave marks in the nitro!

I ordered the stand Hercules GS415B .  Their CS told me it was okay, it would not hurt the surface. I think I can give it a try. Now it's in the case after I played .

Just now, Kurital said:

I ordered the stand Hercules GS415B .  Their CS told me it was okay, it would not hurt the surface. I think I can give it a try. Now it's in the case after I played .

I can vouch for them Hercules stands are nitro safe  I have a few

Just now, Kurital said:

Yeah, id watch that if I were you. There has been much discussion about those stands many people saying they still cause blistering on a nitro finish... Use some cloth over the bits that contact the guitar. Cant hurt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Their CS suggested that I should get a GS B414 model since LP,  u know, is heavier.

Just now, Rabs said:

Yeah, id watch that if I were you. There has been much discussion about those stands many people saying they still cause blistering on a nitro finish... Use some cloth over the bits that contact the guitar. Cant hurt.

Thanks! I'll try!

3 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I think this really taught me how to learn to maintain a thing,  you know, I had an epiphone,  it's already like 10 years, I usually did not care much about it. So it's a LP custom white, now I think it turns to "yellow", damn me, 

Guess I'll have to learn how to cherish things, I think it's fair to pay for this .

Kurital,

If you have taken care of the white Epiphone for ten years now, and the thing hasn't been knocked over and had the headstock snapped off, then I would say you already have the skills and the know-how to take good care of your new Gibson Les Paul.

And yes, the white finish turning yellow over the years is normal.
In most circles, it's considered a desirable feature.

Me, I keep all my guitar cases neatly stacked in the music room closet, empty, and all my guitars live on hangers mounted to the wall via two screws each into the studs behind the walls.

ZILyxKh.jpg
Sounds risky and capricious to some, especially those who put their guitars in cases at the end of each playing day, and who would never, ever hang their guitars on the wall hangers featuring the black foam padding.

But two things.
1. If they are hanging there ready to go, I am much more likely to grab them down and play them.
and,
2. I have never once experienced any marks or damage from the black foam padding on the guitar hangers.  Ever.

Now, I do have certain rules and rituals that are observed around this house to prevent damage to my guitars.

* The guitars are kept tuned up, lightly polished, and dust-free.

* When I'm done playing a given guitar, it gets a shot of Finger Ease spray on the strings, and that product is buffed into the strings. This is to avoid salt corrosion, and ensure long string life.

FingerEase-2Pk.jpg

* Immediately after the Finger Ease treatment, the freshly played guitar gets buffed down with a spritz of Turtle Wax Express Shine (liquid carnauba wax). I have used that product on my guitars, cars, and motorcycles, for many, many years.
And they all look splendid.

1533318138_20007059ImageTurtleWaxExpress
* I never use the individual guitar stands that merely sit on the floor.
My dogs have free run of the house, including the music room, and I don't want anything getting knocked over or slobbered on.
The wall hangers are the standard in the music room and the home office, and the Hercules 3-guitar hanging stand is the standard on the stage when I'm at a gig.

media.nl?id=101307&c=1209167&h=RmavEuzdY

Anyway.
Congrats on the new Slash Signature.
Looks like a great guitar.
I know you'll have lots of luck and fun with it!!

🙂

It does happen.. I have regular floor stands. I knew about the issue but for some reason when I got my goldtop tribute I did the legs of the stand but must have gotten distracted or something as I forgot to do the bit where the back of the guitar rests on it and this happened. Even though this is just a studio I was still pretty miffed by it.

hlCb5Gc.jpg?1

OoMd7aj.jpg?1

XPShddQ.jpg?1

The last I remember hearing about the Hercules stands was that even though some people say that their stands are ok with nitro, they actually removed that bit of there web site where it talked about being nitro safe. Which while they probably only did that to avoid litigation sorta also tells me something.

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

It does happen.. I have regular floor stands. I knew about the issue but for some reason when I got my goldtop tribute I did the legs of the stand but must have gotten distracted or something as I forgot to do the bit where the back of the guitar rests on it and this happened. Even though this is just a studio I was still pretty miffed by it.

hlCb5Gc.jpg?1

OoMd7aj.jpg?1

XPShddQ.jpg?1

The last I remember hearing about the Hercules stands was that even though some people say that their stands are ok with nitro, they actually removed that bit of there web site where it talked about being nitro safe. Which while they probably only did that to avoid litigation sorta also tells me something.

And I hear some guitars are susceptible and some aren't. Same nitro. Maybe different stands, I dunno.

16 hours ago, Rabs said:

hlCb5Gc.jpg?1

OoMd7aj.jpg?1

XPShddQ.jpg?1

how old was the stand?  IIRC they changed the padding materials a number of years back,  not sure could have been as far back as 2016 or there abouts.  

19 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Kurital,

If you have taken care of the white Epiphone for ten years now, and the thing hasn't been knocked over and had the headstock snapped off, then I would say you already have the skills and the know-how to take good care of your new Gibson Les Paul.

And yes, the white finish turning yellow over the years is normal.
In most circles, it's considered a desirable feature.

Me, I keep all my guitar cases neatly stacked in the music room closet, empty, and all my guitars live on hangers mounted to the wall via two screws each into the studs behind the walls.

ZILyxKh.jpg
Sounds risky and capricious to some, especially those who put their guitars in cases at the end of each playing day, and who would never, ever hang their guitars on the wall hangers featuring the black foam padding.

But two things.
1. If they are hanging there ready to go, I am much more likely to grab them down and play them.
and,
2. I have never once experienced any marks or damage from the black foam padding on the guitar hangers.  Ever.

Now, I do have certain rules and rituals that are observed around this house to prevent damage to my guitars.

* The guitars are kept tuned up, lightly polished, and dust-free.

* When I'm done playing a given guitar, it gets a shot of Finger Ease spray on the strings, and that product is buffed into the strings. This is to avoid salt corrosion, and ensure long string life.

FingerEase-2Pk.jpg

* Immediately after the Finger Ease treatment, the freshly played guitar gets buffed down with a spritz of Turtle Wax Express Shine (liquid carnauba wax). I have used that product on my guitars, cars, and motorcycles, for many, many years.
And they all look splendid.

1533318138_20007059ImageTurtleWaxExpress
* I never use the individual guitar stands that merely sit on the floor.
My dogs have free run of the house, including the music room, and I don't want anything getting knocked over or slobbered on.
The wall hangers are the standard in the music room and the home office, and the Hercules 3-guitar hanging stand is the standard on the stage when I'm at a gig.

media.nl?id=101307&c=1209167&h=RmavEuzdY

Anyway.
Congrats on the new Slash Signature.
Looks like a great guitar.
I know you'll have lots of luck and fun with it!!

🙂

Thanx for advice.  You're truly A gentleman and of course, a guitar lover. I'll consider those options.  Now I'm diving into practice and tone shaping. Let's hope I can find my sounds.

Thanks again, sparquelito

33 minutes ago, Pinch said:

No, that was Rabs' guitar. Relic'd by Rabswood. 

Yeah, this is a good place for friendly guitar information. 

OH sorry,  my bad. 

Yeah, I used to work on my own, lack of communication, I think that's what held me back. 

So, I'm more open now to receive new perspectives and ideas.  Hope it will be good.

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

how old was the stand?  IIRC they changed the padding materials a number of years back,  not sure could have been as far back as 2016 or there abouts.  

Yeah we are talking something like 2011......... 

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yeah we are talking something like 2011......... 

Yep!

When these stands first came out, they were not good for nitro, people complained, and they changed the pads.

Albeit, too late for those that had happen what you had happen.  I'd have been annoyed too.

8 hours ago, Kurital said:

That looks awful ... sorry, man

Yeah it sucked.. I mean it happened over a decade ago now and its still like that. I keep thinking about fixing it but really its neither here nor there in the end. However when this happened I had only had it a few days, so yeah it stung a bit at the time. Im just glad I didnt do that to my Standard or Classic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yeah it sucked.. I mean it happened over a decade ago now and its still like that. I keep thinking about fixing it but really its neither here nor there in the end. However when this happened I had only had it a few days, so yeah it stung a bit at the time. Im just glad I didnt do that to my Standard or Classic.

A friend (one time friend, not because of this, because he turned out to be bad news, addicted to hard drugs) knocked my first LP standard off a stand, put a long, deep worm dent in the front. I sold it about 15 years ago. I still feel the dismay and anger when I remember it going over. 

Hey guys, I have a "technical" question. Currently, I have the LP and DSL1HR, no pedals. So my question is what pedals do I need in order to get a tone like this video here: 

From what I can hear, it seems that I need a delay pedal, octave maybe?  chorus pedal?

And I always wondered where the "push" sound comes from like in the album version of this song.  I mean, when I bend the string, it sounds "thin" and "monotonous“, unlike what I heard from the album, they have some kind of "push" sound that is strong. How to make that sound? What pedal helps to make that out of nowhere?

1 minute ago, Kurital said:

Hey guys, I have a "technical" question. Currently, I have the LP and DSL1HR, no pedals. So my question is what pedals do I need in order to get a tone like this video here: 

From what I can hear, it seems that I need a delay pedal, octave maybe?  chorus pedal?

And I always wondered where the "push" sound comes from like in the album version of this song.  I mean, when I bend the string, it sounds "thin" and "monotonous“, unlike what I heard from the album, they have some kind of "push" sound that is strong. How to make that sound? What pedal helps to make that out of nowhere?

The "push" sound I described not so "clear" in this video, I guess it's the live version, not the album version.  If you listen to the album version of This I love by Robin Finck, I think you will hear what I described. 

Slash has quite an overdriven sound..  His guitars come with pickups that are hotter than your average Les Paul.. Also his amp is also dialed in to that high gain sound.. And then obviously theres some kind of fuzz or overdrive pedal he uses..

And yes I am going to post this video again.. Its so useful for LP players who dont use their knobs...

So yes..  Possibly the tone knob is turned down too...